There is a long list of antidepressants from which your doctor will choose the right one for you. This antidepressant medications list covers the different types of antidepressant medications for depression.
Antidepressant List: List of Medications for Depression by Category
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Other types
SSRIs are the most common type of antidepressant medication. An SSRI antidepressants list includes well-known drugs like fluoxetine (Prozac) and sertraline (Zoloft). The following SSRI list is in alphabetical order by generic name:
- Citalopram (Celexa)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro)
- Fluoxetine (Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Selfemra, Sarafem)
- Fluvoxamine (Faverin, Luvox, Luvox CR)
- Paroxetine (Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva)
- Viibryd (Vilazodone)
Read about SSRI antidepressants.
Similar to SSRIs are SNRIs which modulate norepinephrine as well as serotonin. There are fewer drugs on this antidepressants list and the medications are newer. The following is the SNRI list:
- Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)
- Duloxetine (Cymbalta)
- Milnacipran (Savella)2
- Venlafaxine (Effexor, Effexor XR )
Read about SNRI antidepressants.
MAOIs are an older class of antidepressants and alter more chemicals in the brain than either SSRI or SNRIs. The medications on this list of antidepressants may have dietary restrictions associated with them. The following is the MAOI list:
Read about MOAI antidepressants.
Tricyclic antidepressants are another older class of antidepressant. Antidepressants on this list are not generally chosen as first-line treatments as their risk of side effects is higher than some other types. The following is a list of tricyclic antidepressants:
- Amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep, Levate)
- Amoxapine (Asendin)
- Clomipramine (Anafranil)
- Desipramine (Norpramin, Pertofrane)
- Doxepin (Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan)
- Imipramine (Tofranil, Tofranil-PM)
- Maprotiline (Ludiomil)
- Nortryptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor)
- Protriptyline (Vivactil)
- Trimipramine (Surmontil, Trimip, Tripramine)
Read about tricyclic antidepressants.
In addition to the above, there is a long list of antidepressants that don't fit neatly into any category. Those on the following list of medications for depression have unique ways of acting on the brain:
- Bupropion (Alpenzin, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XR, Zyban)
- Buspirone (Buspar)
- Mirtazapine (Remeron, RemeronSolTab)
- Reboxetine (Edronax, Vestra)
- Trazodone (Desyrel, DesyrelDividose, Oleptro, Trazodone D)
- Vilazodone (Viibryd)