Friendship with a Person Who Has Bipolar Disorder

March 27, 2018 Natasha Tracy

Being a friend to someone with bipolar disorder can be challenging, but is it worth it? Learn about how bipolar disorder affects friendships.It can be challenging to be a friend of a person with bipolar disorder. I freely admit this. I know that my life is difficult for me to deal with and, certainly, it can be difficult for anyone else. Nevertheless, friendship with a person who has bipolar disorder can be just as rewarding as any other friendship.

I Have Bipolar Disorder -- I Love and Appreciate My Friends

There is a myth people with bipolar disorder use and abuse their friends. While I have no doubt that there are people out there who fall into that group, certainly, that isn't all of us and I know it isn't me. I love and appreciate my friends and I am cognizant of the fact that dealing with my bipolar has challenges for them, too.

And I work as hard at being a good friend to them as I hope they will be to me. I don't believe in one-way friendships.

Why Friendship with a Person Who Has Bipolar Disorder Can Be Hard

I know the bipolar disorder is my problem and not that of my friends. However, something that affects me so profoundly naturally seeps into close relationships. I know that my friends "feel" my bipolar disorder in ways because of how much I am affected.

For example, some friends with bipolar disorder:

• May pull away and isolate when severe depression is present
  • May experience anger with which they have trouble dealing
  • May have unusual affect and beliefs if major mania/hypomania is present
  • May cry and express very sad and negative emotions
  • May need help with everyday chores more than other people

And, of course, as we're all different, bipolar disorder can affect our friendships in different ways. The point is this: my bipolar disorder affects my friendships, period. I get that.

The Good Parts of Friendship with a Person Who Has Bipolar Disorder

And while I absolutely admit we can be challenging at times, there are also good bits about us that are bipolar-related too.

Friendship with a person who has bipolar disorder can often be affected by the individual's increased creativity. That can be great and inspiring. Also, many with bipolar disorder are empathetic thanks to their bipolar experiences, making them great listeners.

And again, because we're all different, there are always wonderful and unique characteristics that make us who we are (just like everyone else).

Can Just Anyone Be a Friend to a Person with Bipolar Disorder?

In recognizing there is both good and bad in a friendship that includes bipolar disorder, and knowing there is good and bad in every relationship, can anyway enjoy a friendship with a person who has bipolar disorder?

Watch this video where I discuss how different friends deal with bipolar disorder differently.

My answer is, unfortunately, no, not everyone can handle a friendship with a person who has bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is tough, emotional stuff and not everyone can handle that.

But in the end, that's okay. No matter who we are, not all friendships would fit. So sometimes bipolar stands in the way of a friendship -- that could happen to anyone for a myriad of reasons.

So this means two things:

1. Friendships may not always work and it isn't necessarily our fault. Sometimes bipolar disorder is a roadblock that people can't overcome.
  2. The friends we do have are absolute gems.

It really pays for us to remember both.

Tracy, N. (2018, March 27). Friendship with a Person Who Has Bipolar Disorder, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, July 23 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/breakingbipolar/2018/03/friendship-with-a-person-who-has-bipolar-disorder

Author: Natasha Tracy

Natasha Tracy is a renowned speaker, award-winning advocate and author of Lost Marbles: Insights into My Life with Depression & Bipolar.

Find Natasha Tracy on her blog, Bipolar BurbleTwitter, Instagram and Facebook.

Arnita L. Ware
May, 17 2019 at 10:49 pm
Nailed it! It is SO nice to hear someone else that can relate to my lived experiences!
Norma
January, 21 2019 at 12:27 pm
Considered myself lucky to stay friends with a bipolar (diagnosed) woman for many years because I would see her other friends come and go. We were close and shared nearly everything. I would patiently await during periods she pulled away because she always cycled back but after awhile I noticed more and more that our friendship was about her 80% of the time and me 20% of the time. She wanted me to be a reassuring mirror to her. She had no problems being very frank with me, telling me things bluntly, whether it would hurt my feelings or not. I learned to detach and not take it personally. And I also knew that she could not tolerate the bluntness if I were to return the favor. For instance she told me that she hated my sculpting, that it was awful but I knew if I told her that her make up style reminded me of Tammy Faye Baker, she would retaliate by acting hateful and probably end the friendship with me immediately and forever. This last time she pulled away I noticed I didn't miss her like I had before. I had sensed it was coming and started nurturing other friendships... friendships that I had set aside because she took up so much time in my life. And now she is cycling back around to me as usual but I haven't responded yet. I'm deciding if I want to get on that merry go round again. I have learned to really appreciate more even tempered people. All the laughter and charm and fun of a bipolar person doesn't hold the same appeal it once did for me. It rings hollow..
Marti
April, 6 2019 at 11:57 pm
Norma, it was helpful reading your post.
It validates just my same friendship with a girlfriend. She was unsure of being friends due to her past friends have dissolved their friendship with her.
We have been friends for 4 years and it’s tough on my emotionally as I don’t know what her mood will be like. She is needs reassurance all the time and she talks about herself most of the time. She can be hurtful with words. I finally let the friendship go as I can’t do it anymore.
Maybe I stayed friends with her because I felt sorry for her,
Dani
August, 8 2018 at 2:12 pm
Thanks so much for sharing, I havent been diagnosed with bipolar but I am noticing that some of the symptoms become very prevalent when I am mensturating. I have lost a good friend in the last few months, but I don't think that it was one sided. We both have contributed to the deterioration of things, but I can't help but think if I tried hard enough. Her wedding is nearing and I was suppose to be a maid of honor, she demoted me without telling me and that hurt. I tired to meet with her to fix things and she stormed off leaving me to feel like the friendship wasnt worth it. I can't help but keep wondering if this was Gods plan or if I am bipolar and I can't keep friendships. Thanks for Sharing
U. R. Juanqueres
April, 22 2019 at 8:27 pm
I think she will always be [moderated] so just give up on her. All bipolar people are the same. They ditch you then blame you.
artnaturelover
July, 6 2018 at 7:15 am
I have had 2 "friendships" with bipolar people, and was used and abused by both of them. Both of them were very toxic people who put me down, and exploited me. Perhaps they also had narcissism.

I'm being really careful who my friends are from now on.
Reese
August, 28 2018 at 6:35 pm
It saddens me to learned that you were brutally mistreated by those two individuals. Yes ma’am I am bipolar too. However, I may not be perfect but I’m very respectful and compassionate. I just came acrossed your post and wanted to send you love and peace. No response is necessary. I pray you find someone who you can laugh, cry and just listen to each other. Best of luck:)
AboutLoveandPeace
July, 7 2019 at 5:12 am
Dear writer

It is not fair to blame the fact that they were Bipolar. Lots of people are Bipolar or have other mental illness. Each person still has their own set of personality traits and character.

Therefore we don't discriminate against the mental illness.

Alex
March, 27 2018 at 1:27 pm
I've abandoned many many many friendships due to depression and anxiety and destroyed others due to mania. I feel like people have a cartoon in their head of what bipolar disorder is and are either scared of what might come next or keep their distance because I was just too hard to handle. The truth about friendships is that they all require work and they all involve illness because most people are dealing with illness in some way, bipolar is no exception. The friendships I have left are good ones and these days i'm trying to build new ones too. Thanks for the post!

Marina
March, 27 2018 at 6:18 pm
I have lost friendships, usually at the early stage of psychosis. I can never remember what has happened to cause the end of the friendship. It can be devastating. I have one person I've wondered about, and felt unbelievably sad about losing for many years.