Thought Manipulation And The Psychotic Mind

May 23, 2014 Dan Hoeweler

A common theme amongst people with schizophrenia is that our thoughts are being manipulated by unseen forces. We often find ourselves obsessed with the idea that our thoughts are being erased, inserted and manipulated. Psychiatrists consider these delusions particularly bizarre and to have no basis in reality. I would argue otherwise.

Our Thoughts are Manipulated, Sort of

Every day we are bombarded with commercials, political rhetoric and jargon from people who do not have our best interests in mind. They are used so that our thoughts, ideas and perspective will be fundamentally changed. If it was not for the newspaper articles, books and magazines that we read, our thoughts and ideas would be radically different. In this way our thoughts are constantly manipulated by outside forces.

The Psychotic Mind and Thought Manipulation

Average people recognize that our thoughts are influenced by things like ads, but the psychotic mind may believe in direct thought manipulation.People with schizophrenia take the concept of persuasion and misinterpret it in ways that are detrimental to us. We believe that our thoughts are directly being manipulated and that we are not in control of what we think, which could not be further from the truth. No one can force us to think in a particular manner, and yet we remain so convinced otherwise. When is it that we will realize that we are not slaves to our thoughts, but free think and choose as we please?

Thoughts are not objects that can physically be removed, made or rearranged by unseen forces. They are made through choice, experience and rationality. The world may seem more interesting if forces are implanting falsehoods in our heads, but this is simply a delusion that makes us miserable. Why we choose to destroy ourselves with falsehoods, I will never understand. Life is worth living, I choose to think this, and no government agent, thought ray, or alien being, could convince me otherwise.

Hoeweler, D. (2014, May 23). Thought Manipulation And The Psychotic Mind, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, August 17 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/creativeschizophrenia/2014/05/thought-manipulation-and-the-psychotic-mind

Author: Dan Hoeweler

Misty Weathersby
May, 20 2016 at 10:06 am
Well I have been with my boyfriend on and off since December 31, 2014. He is schizoeffective, bipolar, manic and it has been a trying battle for the both of us. I love him with all that I have left in me and I feel he loves me too but sometimes I wonder. What I'm asking is there someone I can talk to or good books that you know of that could help me and or the both of us in helping me to understanding his mental illness. Thank you and looking forward on hearing back from you.

hj
August, 5 2018 at 6:00 am
YES I DO!! Omg only if this wasnt from 3 years agO fml
john
December, 29 2014 at 5:11 am
they are watching us. they can change our thoughts. they do change what we think. we are like sheep to them. you have no idea. they are controlling all of us.

Tom
February, 25 2018 at 3:17 am
But reality is your fear is just being manipulated. Ignore it and you'll be good. Focus on life. The scary stuff is an illusion, don't fall for it.
Kunal Chatterjee
May, 31 2014 at 10:47 pm
Thanks Dan. Being a father of a girl who was first diagnosed as Schizophrenic in January 1985, I have better understanding of the mental torture she has been going through for nearly last 30 years. What a waste of life ! She was a hugely talented girl.

Dan Hoeweler
June, 4 2014 at 7:33 am
It's tough. Nice to help some.
Lisa Silver
May, 31 2014 at 4:27 pm
People never choose to be an addict/ alcoholic & ruin their lives either. It happens.
Sharon
May, 31 2014 at 3:35 pm
Thank for sharing your experiences. It is much easier to understand different illnesses by hearing a description from the person who is living with it.
Charles
May, 29 2014 at 5:23 am
Funny how you start off and recognize that our thoughts are being manipulated by the media in various ways. And then you lose this train of thought and start that no one can force us to think is a different manner....

I think you were much more on the track at the beginning. Those who feel much more sensitive to the changes in our thoughts, and much more vulnerable to the manipulation of our thoughts may over react and maybe react differently then the majority.

Charles

Dan Hoeweler
June, 4 2014 at 7:34 am
Thanks for the comment.
Laura
May, 28 2014 at 7:44 pm
Hi Dan,

I agree with you. The schizophrenic mind perceives differently the thoughts. And I believe we are more aware of the influence of media and surroundings.

Out of curiosity sometimes I have the impression that I receive messages. I check the owner and then, well I speak to the person that I can trust of course and they ask me how you know that.

Well welcome to my world. I can perceive a lot of thoughts and emotions, and even I can receive images. My most difficult task is to find the owner and understand the message.

The most common feedback I have received: It is a gift! You should develop it. Or mistrust.

Sometimes I am just tired of this gift. It requires lots of effort to deal with my mind besides takes a lot of my energy and focus. Not always I can distinguish between my thoughts and someone else.

I can do it easier with animals as they express themselves like 'someone has stolen her bone' than I know it is my dog worry with me after I have been robbed.

But yeah why not to perceive it as a gift and not as a torment.

I am looking for people with similar abilities.

Laura

Dan Hoeweler
June, 4 2014 at 7:35 am
Never really had those thoughts towards animals. I guess it is different for everyone.

Me
February, 16 2018 at 1:11 am
Thank you for explaining it so clearly. I receive information too. It scares people. I call it my superpower.
Donna
May, 25 2014 at 5:21 pm
My daughter is in the rare group of childhood on-set Schizophrenia. Sometimes it is hard to argue that her thoughts are not manipulated from somewhere. Some of the things that have come out of her mouth she was not exposed to in our home. She tells us they are trying to change the way she thinks. For the last 6 months she has been telling us they are going to make her body stop moving.

But I do see where the TV is influencing Her reality. One day when she was 11 she ran through the house saying George Lopez (a beloved TV show that she had spent the summer watching re-runs of) was following her with a video camera recording everything that she did. for the first year of the illness she believed that all the stars in Hollywood thought bad things of her and hated her because of George Lopez. Even thou she had never met him.

And that was the day that our family was forever altered.