Want to Improve Your Mental Health? Try This
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Want to Improve Your Mental Health? Try This
- 3 Ways To Improve Mental Health, Well-being and Get Results
- Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
- From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- Stand Up for Mental Health
- Latest Mental Health News
How can caring for something else improve your mental health, well-being and level of happiness? (How To Be Happier?) After all, when you are struggling with a mental illness, finding a joyful mindset is stressful, even painful at times. Who needs more work? Consider this, however, when you take responsibility for something or someone, you could gain some happiness without realizing it.
Even though you should always put your personal happiness first, there are ways to improve your mental health, happiness and well-being without it being work. When you focus on caring for something or someone else, you feel a sense of compassion and contentment. Alongside that contentment often comes a feeling of happiness because you are proud of the responsibility you have taken on. When you are proud of yourself, you are able to wash away some of the insecurities that have been clinging to you and replace them with feelings of confidence and positivity.
- Taking Care of a Plant. When you have a plant to take care of, you not only must water it and continue to check the health, you get to watch it grow and blossom. Just buy purchasing a small bamboo tree, cactus or even picking flowers, you can support the life of a plant while supporting your life as well.
- Taking Care of a Pet. Whether you are taking a care of a goldfish or a dog, you are providing happiness for a living, breathing life and just by having that responsibility, you will be able to improve your focus. Fostering an animal or dog/cat-sitting can be a heart-warming way to show you care. (Animal Therapy: Easing Anxiety With An Animal)
- Volunteering. When you are doing something without payment, you are doing those activities out of the goodness of your heart. Volunteering is a great way to give back and, in turn, fill yourself with the compassion you shared with others.
Articles Related to Self-Care and Caring for Others
- The Importance of Proactive Self-Care
- Role of Caregivers for People with Mental Illness
- Self-Care in Recovery and Life
- Live Your Kind of Life
- Self-Worth and Building Self-Esteem
Today's Question: In what ways has caring for something (garden, pet) or someone helped improve your mental health, emotional well-being and confidence? We invite you to participate by commenting and sharing your feelings, experiences and knowledge on the HealthyPlace Facebook page and on the HealthyPlace Google+ page.
New Mental Health Apps. We Need Your Input
"GME is a mental health company that’s developing specialized patient apps. We need your feedback. Please take our 2-minute survey to help guide us with our work. Each person will be entered to win a $20 Starbucks gift card. We appreciate your help. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FMZKTCH
Share our Stories
At the top and bottom of all our stories, you'll find social share buttons for Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest and other social sites. If you find a particular story, video, psychological test or other HealthyPlace feature helpful, there's a good chance others in need will too. Please share.
We also get many inquiries about our linking policy. If you have a website or blog, you can link to any page on the HealthyPlace website without asking us beforehand.
Here are the top 3 mental health articles HealthyPlace Facebook fans are recommending you read:
- “High-Functioning” Bipolar Disorder
- Tips to Overcome The Isolation Habit After Domestic Abuse
- 5 Ways of Dealing with Verbally Abusive Relationships
If you're not already, I hope you'll join us/like us on Facebook too. There are a lot of wonderful, supportive people there.
On all our blogs, your comments and observations are welcomed.
- Why Treatment for Trauma is So Important for Children (Mental Health Treatment Circle Blog)
- Steps to Self-Care for Depression (Coping with Depression Blog)
- Fear Change? Seven Ways to Quiet Anxiety of the Unknown (Anxiety-Schmanxiety Blog)
- Safety Tips for Bipolar: Bipolar Lockdown (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- Intersection of Borderline Personality Disorder and Procrastination (More Than Borderline Blog)
- Ruminating Can Harm Your Mental Health Recovery and Can an Energy Drink Cause Mental Illness Symptoms? (Recovering From Mental Illness Blog)
- Change Often Incites Fear in PTSD Recovery (Trauma! A PTSD Blog)
- How to Build Self-Esteem Through Exercise and Famous Quotes to Boost Self-Esteem and Confidence (Building Self-Esteem Blog)
- How to Deal With Mental Health Stigma (Surviving Mental Health Stigma Blog)
- Therapy for Binge Eating Disorder (Binge Eating Recovery Blog)
- Break the Self-Harm Stigma with Bright Color (Speaking Out About Self-Injury Blog)
- Five Habits to Improve Your Self Image Daily (Your Mental Health Blog)
- Hidden Ways Anxiety Disorder Can Damage Your Health (Treating Anxiety Blog)
- Traveling with a Child with Mental Illness (Life with Bob)
- Communicating Between Alters in Dissociative Identity Disorder (Dissociative Living Blog)
- Is It A Diet or An Eating Disorder? (Surviving ED Blog)
- Is Mental Illness a Barrier To Success? (Getting Through Tough Times Blog)
- Similarities Between Pansexuality and Bisexuality (The Life: LGBT Mental Health Blog)
- Can Recovering Alcoholics Eat Food Cooked with Alcohol? and Alcoholism Recovery is the Most Important Part of My Life (Debunking Addiction Blog)
- Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder, Overstimulation (Creative Schizophrenia Blog)
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
Thousands Have Joined the Stand Up for Mental Health Campaign
But we still need you. Let others know there's no shame in having depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, trichotillomania, OCD, ADHD, schizophrenia or any other mental illness.
Join the Stand Up for Mental Health campaign. Put a button on your website or blog (buttons for family members, parents, mental health professionals and organizations too). We also have covers for Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
These stories and more are featured on our mental health news page:
- Research Flags Potentially High Rate Of Medication Nonadherence Among Those With Serious Mental Illness
- Mindfulness And Antidepressants Offer 'Similar Level Of Protection' Against Depression
- Children Taught About Sexual Abuse More Likely To Report It
- Laughter Is An Effective Catalyst For New Relationships
- It’s Not Always Depression. Sometimes, It’s Shame
- Heart Valve Repair Improves Emotional Wellbeing In Patients With Mitral Regurgitation
- Study Of Veterans Finds Family Support During Deployment Reduces Suicidal Thoughts
That's it for now. If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week:
- circle HealthyPlace on Google+,
- follow HealthyPlace on Twitter
- follow HealthyPlace on Pinterest
- or become a fan of HealthyPlace on Facebook.
Aline, J. (2015, April 22). Want to Improve Your Mental Health? Try This, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2020, June 2 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/want-to-improve-your-mental-health-try-this