Noise Sensitivity: When The World Is Too Loud

December 27, 2013 Paulissa Kipp

Noise sensitivity can be a mental health trigger, but there are things you can do to lessen noise sensitivity (hyperacusis). Get tips here.
Noise sensitivity can be likened to nails on a blackboard. The constant buzz and whir of music, technology, the buzzing of Facebook notifications, ringing phones and loud conversations can be overwhelming. This sensitivity to noise is known as hyperacusis, a condition that arises from a problem in the way the brain processes noise.

When a sufferer comes to dread social settings due to the noise, it can become a mental health trigger. Sufferers may feel trapped with no escape, want some place quiet or feel disoriented, as though he or she can hear every noise or conversation in a room. The effect is similar to being in an echo chamber.

Causes of Noise Sensitivity

Hearing loss does not necessarily reduce sensory overload. The way in which the brain processes the sound does not mean that a person with hyperacusis, or sensitivity to sound in general, has better hearing. It's just that he or she is more sensitive to certain sounds: paper rustling, conversations, heating and air system sounds, etc.

Some causes of sensory overload include:

• brain injury
  • airbag deployment
  • epilepsy
  • ear damage
  • TMJ
  • Neurological conditions such as migraines, chronic fatigue syndrome and posttraumatic stress disorder can also be associated with increased sensitivity to noise.

Tips to Reduce Noise Sensitivity

• Incorporate some white noise into your surroundings - run a fan, invest in a white noise machine, open a window or install a white noise app on your cell phone.
  • Wear noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds.
  • Try positioning yourself in another area of the room.
  • If you are wearing a hoodie, putting the hood up can lessen the stimulation.
  • Using a tactile tool, such as rubbing a smooth stone can provide enough of a distraction to facilitate calming (Using Objects to Reduce Anxiety).
  • Use post-it notes to cover sensors on auto-flushing toilets or automatic hand driers.
  • Visiting during non-peak times and seeking seating on the perimeter can help to reduce exposure to noise.

What do you do when the world becomes too loud? We'd love to hear what has worked for you.

You can also connect with Paulissa Kipp on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest and her website, Paulissakippisms.

Kipp, P. (2013, December 27). Noise Sensitivity: When The World Is Too Loud, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, July 20 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/recoveringfrommentalillness/2013/12/when-the-world-is-too-loud-noise-sensitivity

Author: Paulissa Kipp

David Eli Dale
June, 28 2019 at 9:25 pm
I enjoy science videos but can't tolerate the background noise. All videos have so called music and this negates from my educational growth and fulfillment.
Kathryn
May, 29 2019 at 8:16 am
After reading this I thought I was the only one sensitive to noises. I have always hated loud bangs since very little, don't know why, I wear wireless headphones now which are quite effective. I would love noise cancellation ones but they're nearly £2-300 quite expensive. I live in a small estate in a sort of village where there seem to be an increase in families with kids. They're not generally mean but during the summer like now, they stay out until 10pm and play out like I used too, although my parents never allowed me or my sister out after 9pm. I think parents are too lean now and not strict. They have no control and I am quite embarrassed by how many parents moan about their kids and they shouldn't have had them in the first place. I live alone and sometimes house sit for family which is good, yet noise at my dads where I house sit is traffic noise. Theyre in a terraced house with a main road where buses, often lorries and the stupid boy racer cars and motorbikes that love nothing more than to rev their annoying exhausts. I cringe and wish I could shut out traffic sounds even when I go out shopping. I don't know why it makes me so anxious. I use the back bedroom upstairs to get some peace but back at home the kids are a pain. I cant afford to move yet and I just prefer winter time as less people seem to be out, only then fireworks on november 5th start and drive me on edge. I like going out but honestly, I sometimes wish I didn't have too as I just can't stand noises!! Hope others can find some help my doctors think it is just anxiety. I hate bubble gum popping on buses sometimes usually by horrible teenagers during the school holidays. urghhh.
Sandy
March, 27 2019 at 10:31 pm
I'm so glad I found this thread. I, too, have a high sensitivity to sound. I have anxiety as well as tmj and just found out that noise sensitivity is related to both of these issues. I thought it was people being disrespectful when they slammed doors, played loud music, etc. but that didn't explain why I can't tolerate the background music at shopping malls, stores, restaurants, etc. Noise is everywhere and it's difficult to get away from it. I started thinking of why people don't like silence anymore. I like to read and you can't even go to the library and find it quiet there anymore so I do think society has something to do with a lot of it but, if you have anxiety like I do, I believe it aggravates the condition. I've used earplugs but suffered from ear infections so am afraid to keep using them. I've resorted to using a fan which does help a lot. I don't like earphones with music or sound effects because they only contribute to the problem. I've read about people on this thread using noise cancelling headphones so tomorrow I'm going to go to the store and get them and, hopefully, it will help me sleep better at night. Thank you for this forum and for the posters with all their advice. It's nice to know I'm not alone, and I've gotten a lot of great ideas to help me with this issue.
Julienne Essex
March, 6 2019 at 2:32 pm
I just discovered this thread and it is a god-send to learn that I am not the only one bothered by loud talking, a loud TV or stereo, yapping dogs, slamming doors, etc.

There have been times that I could just jump in front of the subway because it would mean that I would no longer feel jittery from loud music coming from a colleague's cubicle. I'm not normally anxious and am not at all depressed or suffering from PSTD or anything else like that, so thought I must just be crazy (not to mention annoying to any friends and family who I ask to turn down the noise or lower the volume on their talking.

I guess misery really does enjoy company, as the expression goes, as I feel better that I am not the only one with this problem (and that I don't have the worst case of it). My heart goes out to everyone who has posted here. I do hope that one day we can get the people who don't understand this terrible ailment to understand it.

BTW: in my case the combo of ear plugs and noise cancelling headphones don't help as they muffle everything except the higher pitched sounds, and those are what bother me the most.
Kelli
December, 21 2018 at 12:18 pm
The sound of wind when my husband has the car window down, the sound loud talking in the office , a radio up too loud, too many people talking at the same time, the sound of someone coughing non stop, people laughing too loud or non stop, the tv being on when someone is talking at the same time. even a train that honks for too long...lol Not sure why but noise drives me crazy and always has
Eliz
November, 8 2018 at 6:02 am
I have same issue only in my apartment when fellow tenants "slam" the outdoor shut. on several occasions contacted management with no response or resolution. I don't want to look like complainer, what can I do. Also, just moved here, If I knew this, would have never signed the lease...What can I do? Thank you!!!!
Thomas gammell
September, 1 2018 at 1:32 pm
I can't listen to the telly above level 1 can't watch any load films or any action films or any programme which is exciting as it makes my anxiety worse very difficult in a world full of noise
BARBARA KENDRY
May, 27 2018 at 11:20 pm
PS To all you out there suffering from noise hypersensitivity, I find that the repetitive movement of crochet or knitting really helps block everything out and calm my mind. Has anyone else found the same to be helpful?
BARBARA KENDRY
May, 27 2018 at 11:11 pm
I find that its our television that agitates me the most if my husband has got it on and I'm in the kitchen with no door to shut the noise out. Last week I went upstairs with my crochet and could hear the birds which was calming but I can't always get away from it. I'm thinking of getting some earplugs and maybe listening to music through some headphones when I'm in the kitchen. I suffer from anxiety and sleep problems often but sometimes its more heightened than other times and I'm more intolerant. I'm downstairs now as my husband is snoring and twitching in bed and I can't sleep. I crave peace and tranquility. At the moment all I can hear is the clock ticking and thats fine with me!
niesha
May, 10 2018 at 5:38 pm
We are so many I cried when I found that I have this kind of stuff. Music really helps me when going outside, to school, walking, crowded places and bus earphones is my savior. I hate when people talking when sleep time it really triggers me. I hope I don't have this, ever since I was kid I have noise sensitivity, many people misunderstood me if I have anger problems. Quiet place is my dream to live.
Frankie Smith
April, 18 2018 at 9:46 am
I buy earplugs in bulk - much cheaper that way - and wear them night and day. I use paper, plastic or melamine crockery (bliss! No awful clatter of cutlery on plates) and wooden or plastic spoons. The computer sound is permanently muted, and I watch tv with earplugs in and headphones over the top (so I can hear my tv but not the neighbour's). The vacuum has been replaced with wooden floors that I clean with a broom. The microwave that shrieked whenever I pressed anything is in the shed, sans plug. I leave the batteries out of the doorbell when I'm not expecting anyone and the phone switched off in a drawer. All of the above helps, but if some dear soul bangs on my front door with a fist I am tempted to do murder, and I have to seal myself in the bedroom while the washing machine does its impersonation of a Jumbo jet taking off.
It's not easy to find ways of coping, but never let anyone make you feel that you 'shouldn't' be like this. I was born like it. I'm not being awkward or dramatic. It's a disability, and therefore my responsibility to find some way of living with it. But dear God, yes, sometimes you just want to take a gun and shoot everything that makes a noise :)

Mel
May, 4 2018 at 9:55 am
I work in an environment where he phone is constantly ringing, people are always talking. When I able to escape from my work area I retreat to a quite area and just sit. I also am the same when I get home. I want no sound, no phone absolutely nothing. I avoid grocery store during certain hours , I actually avoid as much as possible. My husband sleeps with the t.v. on . I have to turn the volume down so low so I can't hear it . i'd prefer he would just turn it off. I don't like the flashing & flickering of lights going through my eyelids at night. I have become very mouth around noisy people, I'm at the point of talking to my supervisor regarding the level of noise in my area or I going to have to find something less overloading my senses. I work for a nursing facility , so you can imagine what I hear all day.

Maria Alberto
May, 4 2018 at 10:34 am
I thought I was the only one. People don’t take us seriously. I wear earplugs too.
Carina
March, 2 2018 at 7:41 pm
Thanks so much for this article. I have always been scared of loud music and the drums and stuff. It just makes me so stressed out and wants to cry or scream. It just feels like being drowned underwater...but thanks for the solutions. The ear plug solution works great
David Duenias
January, 9 2018 at 6:07 am
As a person who is very sensitive to particular sounds that can vary in pitch, frequency and density, I think it’s important to gather that loudness is not the core of the dilemma we are facing.

After years of not knowing why I am so damn sensitive to certain acoustic frequencies, I have finally gotten to the bottom of it. I have found out the reasoning as to why and how this occurs. First I must declare to you that YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM! It’s impaerative to understand that.

What may seem to be a problem is merely the phenomena of anxiety that the mind keeps amplifying, not knowing why it can be so unbearable, not knowing how come it seems to be that only “I seem to have this problem” while anyone who is around us seems not to be bothered by it. This anxiety that is taken place in our mind pressures us to find a solution.

So in reality what happens is twofold:
- We experience the phenomena of sharp concentrated sound to be extremely disturbing. ( this is pure physical reaction that stems from our particaulr mechanism or our particular genetic disposition)
- The mind is reacting to the phenomena by projecting fears (aka mental anxieties) in order to create pressure for us to do something about it, to find a solution. It wants to know: “when this will be over? Tell me now! Do something about it. When this will be over?” And it goes on and on until one loses it. And once we find out we can’t do anything about it, the aggravation, potential rage and anger are all increased.

As you can see this is a double edge sword.

What I have found out on myself is the following:
I have gone deep deep into my genetic code ( possible through the knowledge of the Human Design system) and have discovered that my “ailment” is simply a disposition. It is not a malady. It is not a problem. It is not a curse. Even though our modern age, led by the vast explosion of industrialism, we have had an explosion in the “new” type of frequencies generated by “artificial” bodies such as tools, machines, vehicles and the myriad combinations of them all. In other words there are so much artificial noise around us. It is not something that I can bet was a problem a 100 years ago. Basically what I am trying to convey is that my natural disposition for an environment is where the sound in that environment is diffused. Now this is very important to understand. A diffused sound is not necessarily lower in volume even though it fills big part of it. I can get irritated by listening to someone whispering next to me. Or neighbors talking across the wall. Or base sounds from music, and any sharp concentrated sounds that are created by honking, shouting, squeaking, construction and what not.
However the sound of passing cars for example or white noise, have never bothered me as they are diffused by nature and therefore does not instill any aggravated reaction.

To conclude: we have a genetic disposition for a specific environment. This is not geographical per se, but rather the nature of an environment.
In addition, I have several genetic imprints in places that are directly connected to my hearing ability which in plain language means that I am very sensitive to acoustic frequency of any nature.

Right when I had found out that my natural and healthy disposition for a diffused sound environment, I immediately purchased a few packs of silicon made ear plugs ( I use Mack’s brand that can be found in every major retail store. They cost around $3.50/pack and they come with 6 pairs) that I have worn for a year now. This has improved my life quality tremendously as it simply takes off all that edge. The remarkable thing is that I wear them almost everywhere. Where most of us use it for sleep, what I have learned is that wearing it while being awake, and using is while interacting normally in life as we do, has been a rewarding experience. You can still hear other people talking. You can hear a conversation and be engaged in it and yet have a sense of ease and detachment ( even though it is not the more accurate for describing it). It is luminous to see how much frequency and the nature of frequency has so much impact on our lives. To truly grasp that ‘frequency’ is the base for all creation however to experience it in this manner and to see the difference is an eye opener to the nature of being and how intricate and marvelous our bodies are.

It would be very helpful to gather data from other people who suffer from the same phenomena. It will help substantiate my understanding of how these things works and potentially take us out of the dark on this matter cause I know how it feels when you feel you are all alone with this and no one understands you.

If you feel like contributing your data for this research or to share your thoughts or ask questions, I invite you to get in touch with me at dduenias@yahoo.com.

Good luck to you with your sound diffusion...:)

Leanne Robinson
January, 22 2018 at 5:47 pm
This is all good, and I also have a sensitive to sharp, sudden sounds that make me startle and nearly go into a panic attack. But not everyone has the same noise processing issue as you. I hate all noise in general. I hate the radio. I hate fans. I can't stand the sound of a TV coming from another room. When people are conversing, I can't tolerate people who are loud or talk too fast. Sometimes I can't stand hearing conversations period. Especially when there are multiple people talking at the same time.

David Duenias
January, 24 2018 at 7:46 pm
Have you tried the ear plugs solution I mentioned?

Susan
May, 9 2018 at 11:37 am
Hi All, i can relate with just about everyone here. I'm about to turn 60, dx with sleep apnea, have sleep deprivation and now new anxiety - all due to a really bad decision - nearly 4 years ago. We relocated at this DUH to both of us: 4-way intersection - we knew the neighbors already and they swore 'they just got used to it...'' they are so nice friendly 'safe' people we still trust and like, yet we are all wired so differently for sure...as i am unable to sleep here, unless i have on a fan, a white noise machine, AND an ocean wave CD playing. It is difficult, expensive, and disruptive to relocate yet AGAIN, yet i have no choice. i feel for my husband, being on his 3rd unsuccessful hernia operation and probably worn out from all the stress of it here, yet we feel that i am slowly ending up frazzled much of the time, no matter what i try to do. We're both being helped by having a box fan on- in every area of the residence, earplugs when my ears are not too sore from always wearing them, we even take pure/potent CBD oil [by hempworx, is the best], feeling somewhat a relief, yet not enough to be able to fully relax and enjoy this place of 4 yrs. now. Looking back, i have always been somewhat sensitive to noise, but this is 24/7 ridiculous - where we are. The springtime/summer is the absolute worse. Harleys, tractor trailer trucks, loud BOOM BOOOOM BOOOMMM THUD- car stereos, and radio sounds - as they're stopped @ the lights - right outside our windows...we cannot sit and eat at our dining room table @ times unless we want to speak loudly to each other and the tv unfortunately goes up almost full volume at times also. Thankfully, we have great neighbors, and they say they only hear us laughing a lot. We only hear them as well, laughing or their water running. The only other thing that seems to work is [sounds odd to some i bet], exclaiming audibly {even if in a whisper} positive prayers/statements, it seems to change the environment! Many of us realize that we are not always dealing with flesh and blood - but with 'other forces' sounds very odd now, but some will get this messege loud and clear. We are faith filled believers only due to our own personal experiences, not what any person has taught us. Example: ''YESHUA THE CHRIST, THANK YOU!'' [as we list all to be thankful for], 'YESHUA is my savior and in His Name, i take authority to cleanse this place right now! satan be gone i order and command you to leave NOW! i am, and my house is covered in The Blood of Yeshua The Christ - i take The Sword of The Spirit of Christ and i RENOUNCE/BIND/CAST OUT ANY UNCLEAN SPIRITS RIGHT NOW ~ to The Foot of Yeshua The Christ, I AM DIVINELY GUIDED,PROTECTED, SHIELDED BY CHRIST Yeshua, therefore NO WEAPONS used against me and ____, will prosper, Greater is YHWH, who lives in me, than he who lives in this world. Thank You Heavenly Father.'' Amein. This way keeps away the evil, which no matter how 'good' one is, no matter how pure or 'religious' one is, keeps out the 'enemy' who is only here to steal, kill, destroy...and 'he' is a liar. This world is full of the deception; distractions, temporary fixes. The ONLY ONE Who is able to fully fix, is The One Who Created us. It is 'man' who corrupts, destroys, for lack of knowledge. As it is written: '' Hosea 4:6 English Standard Version (ESV)

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge...'' It is too simple what we make complicated. We do not need a building/temple/monument/statues/beads, etc., we need only faith, humility to pray to a Higher Power Yeshua or The Father YHWH [One in Same], creating a relationship...The Word [Amplified King James Bible] is like another connection to wisdom; 'seek and you will find, ask and you will receive - seek first The Kingdom of YHWH - and all shall be added upon you...delight yourself in YHWH and all shall be added upon you...'' wait and see.

JAS
May, 12 2018 at 8:17 am
Susan, please seek professional help. It sounds like you are suffering from symptoms of psychosis and/or delusions, which are possibly covering up deeper mental health issues.

It is literally scary reading what you wrote; it is bizarre, not spiritual. I hope with counseling you come to realize this, and find a way to be genuinely spiritual without the psychosis.
Kayfabe
January, 4 2018 at 10:08 am
I have had an issue where everything is too loud to me in general, like the TV or music that's in a room but not on earphones. I know there are two separate hearing issues-one makes veryday life sound loud, the other makes people enraged or upset at specific sound types. I seem to have both at once! In general I feel like everything is too loud even things I am never annoyed by such as rock music which I love, or TV shows I like, or my dog other talking. Loud, but not making me hateful at all. Then there are certain sounds that send me off the deep ends. People talk so loud, certain ones more than others, in public and on transit, makes me want to go over and just punch them. All my life even as a child I have despised babies. When I hear a baby cry, or babble or talk or even laugh, It makes me suddenly enraged and homicidally upset. I never knew why but I don't act on what I feel or I would certainly be in prison! Its like a hundred evil thoughts in one seconds time about how I hate children and babies, I hate people who have a child and why would anyone want one? I wish I could shut the thing UP and beat its mother to death just for not shutting it up herself immediately etc. Etc. Until it stops, or I plug my ears with music, I will not be ok again. Another thing that makes me this angry is loud rap music. I do not simply hate rap, but it sends me into a uncontrollable rage inside. So doeslous talking. I want to shut the person up NOW even if that required me to tear out their throat. So I have to sit there and tell myself people are Morons and I can't stop them or act on it because laws protect idiots etc. I have no criminal history at all. But maybe one time my control will fail. Who knows the future. As far as General noises or everyday sound- those do not make me angry, they are simply all way louder to me that to those around me and I tell people how loud the TV is or how loud the cars are and no one agrees. However background noise is my best friend, fans on all the time drown out the sharper stuff I hate. White noise Calms me and music that I LIKE, played on earbuds that drown out the rest of the world calms me completely. On the bus I must do this or I hate everyone near me. And the earbud music on a bit loud doesn't bug me one bit because only music played in a room alongside the usual room sounds it talking freaks me out. Earbud music is just fine. I never know why this is. Just like I have no idea why babies send me into a rage that's even harsher than I feel toward people who have actually harmed me directly. No idea. But I clearly have both disorders. Right now the TV is on pretty low yet it's blasting loud to my ears I had to insert earbuds without listening to anything, just used like earplugs, so I can stay in the room and watch the show and not freak out with a headache. Everyone else says they can hardly hear it. Also modern movies make the dialogue so quiet and the soundtrack so insanely loud, it is horrific. I have to adjust the volume 50 times per film just to hear it all but not the music. What's wrong with these filmmakers? Shut the music UP and tell you boom operator to get closer to the talking.
Shar
December, 20 2017 at 4:19 am
hi, I would not normally call myself sensitive to noise but due to sleep deprivation 13 months I am at the crisis stage needing rest. Neighbour abuse, tell yon all night at a pitch she knows disrupts my sleep. Breach of six terms of her tenancy, the Director of Housing just gave her carte blanche to continue disturbing my sleep (torturing me, in my experience). The constant low hum of a television is driving me insane. I also suffer with Complex PTSD, and can not get out of the house to access the service I was linked to (and have had to let me go). All I want is some quiet, but I have come to realise that quiet is outlawed. I used to have a quiet bedroom but apparently my neighbour has more rights to have telly on all night (which she denies and the Director believes without evidence) whilst I have no rights to a quiet bedroom to sleep, despite being disabled and sick with m h difficulties and chronic pain (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome), therefore needing bed rest daytimes as well, due to the sleep deprivation making it worse.

Sufferer
December, 21 2017 at 9:19 am
Shar, my heart goes out to you: I am stuck in a room in a house with so many people and so much noise, it's like 10 Grand Central Stations in one. I, too, am severely sleep deprived (10.5 + months) and at wit's end.

Julie Ann Brady
January, 12 2018 at 4:43 am
Shar, oh my goodness, but you could be me!! I too am finding that I cannot sleep many nights because of a neighbor. From Nov 28-Dec 28, 2017, I lived in a senior apt and had to leave and return to my mobile home in a senior park here in Leesburg, FL. At that senior apt, the mgmt allowed the old couple to play their TV with surround sound nearly 24/7 -- I was told they had 7 speakers w/subwoofer. I found after less than one week, I was not sleeping and reported sleep-deprivation to the mgmt. They told me I must be overly-sensitive to sounds, that no one had complained previously. I told them I could explain no one else complaining although there was that night at 11pm when I stepped into the hallway to ascertain the sound and heard a woman yell from down that hall, "turn that thing off already." And, the day I was packing my car, a male resident from the 1st floor stopped me to ask why I was moving ... come to find out that he too, from 3 floors down, had been hearing that TV + surround sound more loudly from 2am-5am!! Well, I am back in the senior park and seem to have become a bit more sensitive to low frequency sounds at night. I have been experiencing such a noise in the am hours, 1am-7am, and had to go outside several times this past week to nail down the origination. Come to find out, I was aware of this sound during the past 2+ years I've lived here. I suspected where it might be originating ... but didn't come outside to find the source. 2 doors down from me, an older woman says her TV in the back bedroom is her pacifier and runs it throughout the sleeping hours and then cranks up the volume on the TV in the living room. I am hearing it now!
Rena Ramos
December, 15 2017 at 6:20 pm
Why the loud noise from tv annoys me and drive me crazy. The same when people around me talking all at the same time. I can't stand it. Its getting into my nerves. Eversince when I was a kid when I watched tv its in the lowest volume like about 3-6. And the other members of the family 1-100 volume its on 60+ and I swear it drives me nuts. Oh I almost forgot. I also hate the sound of running water from the faucet.
Heerica
November, 21 2017 at 7:52 pm
I really hate the sound of rooster.. Since i was a child.. It's just not hate the sound but its really annoyed me than other people. Some neighbors have roosters and annoyed me so much. Always, a year or more.. Now im at 26yo.. I always wear earbuds at home.. Except night.. And i also hate the sound of laugh tracks but now it getting worse, people laugh annoying me too.. Except they laugh with me. But it's annoying.. I always hate the show that use laugh track and i avoid watching movie in crowded time ..

Teresa
April, 25 2019 at 9:49 pm
Yes, laugh tracks! I know exactly what you're talking about. Also the sounds of a busy cafeteria, etc. The various voices and frequencies. This might sound crazy, but sometimes if I'm getting really sick (flu, etc) I hear voices like im at a busy place. It's creepy, and makes me feel delirious.
Dan Bolivar
November, 5 2017 at 10:55 am
Sorry but it isn't called "hyperacusis" it's actually called "Misophonia"

Andrew
November, 8 2017 at 10:17 am
They are actually two different things. Hyperacusis refers to a lower tolerance for sound (so reporting sounds as being “too loud” in the 70dcb area rather than the 95-100dcb area) while misophonia is an intense dislike for a specific sound, type of sound, or group of sounds.

Jess T
November, 8 2017 at 12:48 pm
Misophonia is something else. This is about hyperacusis, which is different than misophonia.
Gregg A Kuljian
September, 30 2017 at 4:46 am
I've spent 27 years moving from place to place in search of a quiet place to live. I'm unable to find it. I'm extremely resentful. To the degree which I am having a hard time sleeping. Seeing everyone driving around so happy just enrages me, knowing that where I live used to be a beautiful, quiet coastal town. I just don't know what to do. I can't keep moving. I am now in my 60's. I sometimes wear earplugs. But I didn't move here not to hear the birds and wind. I hate cars and jets. I just wish they'd all drop dead.

Angie Dibble
April, 22 2018 at 3:07 pm
I,m in the same situation, I miss the bird song having to wear ear plugs all of the time. I've had to move so many times. I had to leave the property where I was, but had the chance to move across the road, but here I have constant train track noise, it's killing me. I can't wait to get out.
Anne
September, 17 2017 at 9:46 am
I'm so glad I'm not crazy. I have always been sensitive to noise and lights! Especially at night or when everything is quiet. I do not know why but I deal with this at least once or twice a week. It's been happening since i was a child. I hate it and people look at me crazy when i try to explain it to them.
Katie
August, 31 2017 at 2:40 am
I thought I was just easily irritated, so I am glad to read this and see that others feel the same. Like others, loud screams and squeals from children set me on edge. It's like I can feel it moving down my spine. And I love kids and all, but I can do without that. Even my coworkers background chatter drives me nuts. I am sitting at my desk, wearing ear plugs, as I type this.

I do have epilepsy, although well-controlled with medication. I am curious to know if the above reference are the noises that TRIGGER a seizure or if it is just a generally high sensitivity level for those with epilepsy.
Lauretta Bradberry
August, 30 2017 at 11:42 am
I am hearing EVERYTHING right now. I was fine a few minutes ago and some noise somewhere triggered by headache and inside raging emotion. I just want to go find someplace quiet until the 'rage' goes away. People just look at me if I tell them I have this noise problem. Thanks for this blog.
JC
August, 23 2017 at 5:53 am
Glad to hear others experience the same problem. Our local major airport has changed its flight path and unfortunately our house is under the new flight path. The loud plane noise will start at 6 am and wakes us up. Then it's hard to go back to sleep again. This makes us depressed sometimes. We lived at this house for 19 years before FAA changed flight path. Didn't know they can do that without consulting local community.

Adele
August, 28 2017 at 6:09 pm
Same has just happened to us too. Feeling very depressed & no one wants to help. Noise complaints don't actually have a regulation for noise levels near a residency & aviation only deal with safety but say flying safe. My life is miserable.
Chris
August, 19 2017 at 7:18 am
I have problems with hearing traffic noise, especially at my house. When I am in my backyard, the sound of the road about 0.4 miles away makes me very irritated and short. Strangely, if the noise is on my street from neighbor, I don't mind at all. It's the idea that my peace is interrupted by a bunch of strangers cars that makes me angry. Does anyone else have a similar problem? Oh, and don't get me started on motorcycles!
Raquel Coleman
August, 18 2017 at 4:56 am
For me it's comes and goes. Which sounds like maybe it's not the same. It's like all of the sudden the radio is blaring an i can hear everyone else's conversation except the person talking to me. My chest gets tight and I have to leave the area. Is this same for anyone els?
Jules
August, 16 2017 at 11:58 pm
Wow this makes me feel a tiny bit better knowing I am not just being over dramatic and it does actually have a name! I also can NOT stand the screaming children in the shopping malls/supermarkets anywhere and everywhere. It make my heart instantly race and my anger levels go from 0 to 100 as soon as I hear it. I also share an office with 3 others and trying to get work done when you are extremely busy is near impossible. I am just so happy I am not the only one out there lol

Price
September, 20 2017 at 11:57 pm
I thought I was the only person with this.Family gathering I would set with with u family on holidays after a few mins it was like I was stick hearing five conversation and not keeping up with one I finally would have to go out side and smoke to get away from it
I also have to wear cotton in my ears to drown out the noise and also the nonstop ear pain
I've got now where I only want to be in my own little bubby and that made working impose
I even had a boss company non stop to the other works because u voice would carry and I talked to loud to block out to the noise
The
I'
Carol Robertson
July, 4 2017 at 8:39 pm
Loud noises have always bothered me; however, now that I am a senior citizen, I have

Loud noises have always bothered me; however, now that I am a senior citizen, I absolutely cannot tolerate noise. So, I avoid large stores, especially since most modern parents make no effort to control their children. Whenever I walk into a store or restaurant and hear a child/children crying/screaming, I turn around and walk out. I absolutely cannot stand it. It hurts my ears and makes me seek a quiet area. Why can people not realize that no one wants to hear their screaming child? And that it actually makes some people sick!!

Cecil
July, 10 2017 at 8:34 pm
Couldn't agree more. I hate screaming high pitch kids, loud noise bang etc. it's really irritates me & click my brain to get crazy. Have a new neighbor and they are always in the backyard playing kid pool & scremaig squealing, the worst part is the parents re doing the same. And I can't complaint about the disturbing the peace because it's a daytime.

Sam
July, 17 2017 at 11:05 pm
I have children and I can't tolerate the noise they make - unlike you I can't walk away .

Ange
August, 18 2017 at 5:02 am
Me too my kids drive me crazy I HATE noise I'm getting worse as I'm getting older too

Safzy
August, 30 2017 at 6:23 am
I too can't take the noise of my own screaming children, I am going crazy. I end up screaming too and I can't even take the sound of myself screaming.

Anna Weber
August, 22 2017 at 1:16 pm
I have difficulty with family gatherings. My great grandma daughter is 3 and I have been close to her since birth. Now that she has siblings it's even more of a problem with all the high pitched noise and chaos. I feel like a hermit some days
Linette Nixon
July, 2 2017 at 1:59 pm
I cannot believe there is a name for this! I have found silicone/wax earplugs and noise cancelling headphones work WONDERS. My stress level/anxiety IMMEDIATELY subsides when I use these. I cannot believe that I have come across this blog! Lol. I am so excited. So much so that I just jumped up and ran to tell my husband. :-) So nice to know that I am not alone! Actually, the ABSOLUTE BEST GIFT I HAVE EVER RECEIVED was from my husband and it was the noise cancelling headphones!! Since then, however, I have found the silicone ear plugs (the mold to your ear and create a seal OR you can just lightly put them in your ear and it muffles the loud sounds but still allows you to hear what others are saying.

Lin Melton
August, 22 2017 at 9:13 pm
It's so great to read others suffer like me to overloud noise... I went to a funeral today and when all family and friends gathered outside to chat after 15 minutes I wanted to run away... All I could hear was a heavy sound of like thousands of bees droning. I just wanted to run away..!! After 3/4 of an hour I had to excuse myself and left.. My head was pounding.. So thanks Linette as in large noise areas I shall use those silicone ear plugs of which I have used... Thanks again for the tip. :o)
Nannette Landry
June, 25 2017 at 1:24 pm
I work in a hospital . You would think hospitals were quiet so the sick could rest... Well not at all! Between constant bells and now the new "safety alert" that goes off on my phone constantly. There is no way to get away from the noise as these bells and alerts are piped into the medication, nutrition and supply rooms. Not to mention they are loud as well. Of course there are people talking over one another because it's so loud! Then there is the "global talkers" who want everyone to hear what they are saying. I'm an RN and everyday I go to work with the optimism that I will give great care and it will be a great day. The noise takes away all that including my last nerve! I feel irritated by everything and wonder why can't someone please instill some rules about being quiet! These would be mine iif I were in charge. Don't speak to anyone unless your less than 3 feet away. Turn down all bells and ringers and be considerate. If I say anything people just don't get it, so I keep quiet but am exploding inside. It is getting to the point that I may have to leave nursing altogether. Sad.

Sue Galvin
July, 25 2017 at 3:27 am
Oh my how awful. My problem is with social settings and I feel that I'm going to finish up with no social life. Once a noise affects me I go straight to an overbearing headache and I can't think of anything else. It makes me bad tempered and hostile. I find it hard to believe that other people aren't hearing the way I do. I have tried to use my breathing to stop myself over reacting but all I want to do is leave. I no longer look forward to get togethers. My husband is deaf and needs the television on load which means I'm in a bad place when I'm at home aswell. I will try rubbing a smooth stone. A big problem aswell is that I don't like the feeling of anything in my ears either. I used to be fine so I think it has something to do with getting older but it's no joke!