Children's Mental Health: HealthyPlace Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Your Child's Mental Health
- "Parenting a Child with a Mental Illness" On HealthyPlace TV
- More Information on Child Mental Health
- Coaching The Argumentative Child
- Following Up on Healthy vs. Unhealthy Relationships
A recent study indicates that many parents can tell if their child has a mental illness. However, unlike cold symptoms or a case of the measles, a child's mental health problem may not be as easy to recognize. Here are the signs of mental health disorders in children that signal it's time for professional help.
Your child's teacher can also be a resource in determining if your child has a psychological disorder or learning disability.
Sharing your observations with your child's pediatrician or family doctor is an important first step in getting a diagnosis and appropriate treatment for children with mental health needs.
We'll be exploring that more on tonight's HealthyPlace TV show.
Cheryl Murphy understands the stress, strain and heartbreak that sometimes comes with parenting a mentally ill child. Cheryl's children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren have all battled mood disorders and it's taken a toll on her and other members of her family.
Watch Cheryl's story unfold this Tuesday night, June 23. The show starts at 5:30p PT, 7:30 CT, 8:30 ET and airs live on our website.
- TV Show Blog with this week's show info
In the second half of the show, you get to ask Dr. Harry Croft, your personal mental health questions.
Next week, on HealthyPlace TV, we'll be discussing OCD.
Coming in July on the HealthyPlace TV Show
- Surviving the Suicide of Your Child
- Sexual Addiction
- Suicidality and Psychiatric Medications
If you would like to be a guest on the show or share you personal story in writing or via video, please write us at: producer AT healthyplace.com
Click here for a list of previous HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Shows.
- Your Child's Mental Health 12 Questions Every Parent Should Ask
- Child and Adolescent Mental Illnesses FAQ
- Guide to Treatment for Children With Mental Health Needs
- Adolescent Mental Health
- Symptoms of Childhood Depression
- How Does Bipolar Disorder Present in Children and Adolescents?
- Panic Disorder In Children And Adolescents
- Eating Disorders Information For Parents
- Parenting a Child with ADHD
- Warning Signs of Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- Parenting Videos
continue story below
Speaking of "wearing," do you have a child who argues about everything and anything? Dr. Steven Richfield, "The Parent Coach," says it can drive you and other family members absolutely bonkers. Luckily, he has a solution for dealing with the argumentative child.
"My problem is abusive relationships. I date a guy and think finally I found a nice one and a month or two later, the screaming, yelling and shoving starts. What's wrong with me?"
If you're in a similar situation:
- Abusive Relationships and How to Deal with Them
- How to Resolve Conflicts and Prevent Violence
- Emotional Abuse in a Relationship
- Addictive Relationships and How to Overcome Them
Jealousy is another problem
- Jealousy Can Destroy a Relationship
- Dealing with the Feelings of Jealousy
- Jealousy and How to Overcome It
- How to Deal with a Jealous Partner
Staff, H. (2009, June 23). Children's Mental Health: HealthyPlace Newsletter, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2020, February 23 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/childrens-mental-health