8 Things to Do Every Day to Enhance Mental Health
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- 8 Things to Do Every Day to Enhance Mental Health
- Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
- From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- Stand Up for Mental Health
- Latest Mental Health News
Is it possible to enhance mental health when living with mental illness can be stressful in so many ways every single day? Mental illness affects someone's whole being—thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Sometimes, it can be hard to just get out of bed. Or, it can be hard to calm down and focus. Other challenges abound. (Finding the Motivation to Recover from Mental Illness)
Each person is uniquely affected by his/her specific mental illness, yet there are things that everyone can do daily to take charge and create true wellbeing. These eight things you can do every day help the physical aspects of the brain and body as well as thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Take 10 slow, deep breaths. (Or blow bubbles) Repeat throughout the day.
- March or jog in place. Do jumping jacks. Or pushups. Just move to stimulate both your body and brain.
- Create a daily goal, and list little steps you need to take to accomplish it.
- Embark on a stroll, inside or outside, and intentionally notice positive things around you.
- Acknowledge the awful things you're dealing with and take note of how you're surviving. What can you do more of to keep getting through the tough stuff?
- Practice noticing your thoughts. Identify, challenge, and replace the unhealthy ones. Repeat, because doing this takes practice.
- Color or draw.
- Do at least one thing you love every day.
Related Articles Dealing with Enhancing Mental Health
- How to Turn Anxiety into Action
- Action Plan for Mental Health Patients
- Breathing Exercises to Reduce Stress
- How to Build Self-Esteem Through Exercise
- Adult Coloring Books Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
- Change Negative Thoughts into Positive Self-Talk
- To Reduce Anxiety, Do More of What Works
Today's Question: Today’s Question: What little things have been helpful for you in overcoming mental health obstacles? We invite you to participate by commenting and sharing your feelings, experiences and knowledge on the HealthyPlace Facebook page and on the HealthyPlace Google+ page.
Share our Stories
At the top and bottom of all our stories, you'll find social share buttons for Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest and other social sites. If you find a particular story, video, psychological test or other HealthyPlace feature helpful, there's a good chance others in need will too. Please share.
We also get many inquiries about our linking policy. If you have a website or blog, you can link to any page on the HealthyPlace website without asking us beforehand.
Here are the top 3 mental health articles HealthyPlace Facebook fans are recommending you read:
- When Bipolar Medication Doesn’t Work
- Depression – I Can’t Make a Decision, Everything Feels Wrong
- BPD and Romantic Relationships: If You Really Loved Me
If you're not already, I hope you'll join us/like us on Facebook too. There are a lot of wonderful, supportive people there.
On all our blogs, your comments and observations are welcomed.
- So What If a Suicide Attempt Is a ‘Cry for Attention?’
- How I Recovered From a Self-Esteem Setback
- Mental Health Needs of the Native American Community
- Schizoaffective, Schizophrenic Voices on Easter
- Binge Eating Disorder Recovery Is a Personal Journey
- Anxiety Disorders: Can You Fake It ’til You Make It?
- How to Deal with Weight Changes In Eating Disorder Recovery
- Triggers in Eating Disorder Recovery
- Improving Access to Substance Abuse Treatment
- Depression and Setting Emotional Boundaries
- PTSD Recovery: 12-Step Approach, Steps 7, 8, and 9
- Cutting Ties with Family? Consider This Before You Do
- Find Joy in Life by Doing the Things You Love
- Anxiety And Feeling Unlikeable: What Can You Do About It?
- How To Improve Decision-Making Despite Anxiety
- How To Talk To Your Child About Your Addiction
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
Thousands Have Joined the Stand Up for Mental Health Campaign
But we still need you. Let others know there's no shame in having depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, trichotillomania, OCD, ADHD, schizophrenia or any other mental illness.
Join the Stand Up for Mental Health campaign. Put a button on your website or blog (buttons for family members, parents, mental health professionals and organizations too). We also have covers for Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
These stories and more are featured on our mental health news page:
- Eviction Multiplies Mental And Physical Health Risk By 13, According To A Pioneering Study
- Simultaneous Cocaine, Alcohol Use Linked To Suicide Risk
- Patients With Learning Disabilities Less Likely To Be Diagnosed With Cancer, But Have Higher Rates Of Serious Mental Health Issues
- Live Music Shown To Reduce Stress Hormones
- Rewarding Children With Food Could Lead To Emotional Eating
- Beyond Causing Memory Problems, Alzheimer's Disease Also Impairs Visual Face Perception
- Clinicians Experience Secondary Trauma When A Mother Or Infant Experiences Harm During Childbirth
- Gray Matter Abnormality Predicts Neurodevelopmental Problems In Smaller Premature Babies
That's it for now. If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week:
- circle HealthyPlace on Google+,
- follow HealthyPlace on Twitter
- follow HealthyPlace on Pinterest
- or become a fan of HealthyPlace on Facebook.
Peterson, T. (2016, June 3). 8 Things to Do Every Day to Enhance Mental Health , HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2020, October 22 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/8-things-to-do-every-day-to-enhance-mental-health