Socializing When You Feel Depressed -- 3 Tips
Socializing when you're depressed can be uncomfortable because isolation and depression often go hand-in-hand. If you have been staying in and keeping to yourself, this can sometimes worsen the symptoms of depression. It is important to make an effort to socialize regularly, even if it's a small interaction. Why is socializing when you feel depressed important? Talking to other people can make you feel less alone, give you something to focus on other than your worries, and can positively affect your mood.
3 Tips for Socializing When Depressed
- Start small -- If you haven't talked to anyone in a few days, it may do more harm than good to be in a crowd if you don't have to. Focus on small efforts, rather than submerging yourself in a room full of people.
- Make a phone call -- Call someone you trust such as a parent, friend, or relative. Usually, it just takes a quick 10-minute phone call to start elevating my mood.
- Go on a walk -- If you go on a walk in your neighborhood, the park, or someplace that isn't too crowded, you will be able to be around people without having to directly talk to them.
3 Techniques to Use Before Socializing When Depressed
- Deep breathing -- Using deep breathing exercises can help you relax in social situations. If you work on breathing exercises regularly, it will start to become second nature.
- Focus on something else -- It can be easy to start thinking of your depression or anxiety when you are in an uncomfortable social situation. If you catch yourself doing this, focus on something else around you. Pay attention to the person talking, the people around you and the scenery.
- Step away when you need to -- If the first two techniques do not work, you may need to step away. When I feel my depression or anxiety getting the best of me, I go to the bathroom, look in the mirror and remind myself that everything is going to be okay. I then take a few deep breaths and head back to the people I am spending time with.
It can be easy to start isolating yourself if when you are dealing with depression. That is why it is so important to have a plan of action to help you socialize when depressed or feeling like you don't want to as well as how to handle social situations.
How do you make sure you socialize when you're depressed?
Eaklor, B. (2018, August 12). Socializing When You Feel Depressed -- 3 Tips, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2020, September 22 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/toughtimes/2018/8/socializing-when-you-feel-depressed-3-tips
Author: Brandy Eaklor
I go hiking every Sunday. No excuses or exceptions! My friends usually join me but even if I go alone, it’s better than not going at all.
I love the steps and techniques. I think this is such an important read. Socializing can be so important, but not so easily done. Taking it small is such a helpful thing to remember. One step at a time.