Hearing Voices in Dissociative Identity Disorder

Wednesday, June 22 2016 Crystalie Matulewicz

Dissociative identity disorder (DID) includes the experience of hearing voices, medically referred to as auditory hallucinations. This is also a common symptom in several other mental illnesses, including schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder and bipolar disorder. The experience of hearing voices in DID is quite different from the experience of hearing voices in other disorders, however, and the causes and treatments are not the same.

Hearing Voices in Schizophrenia and Bipolar Psychosis

There are several mental illnesses that have auditory hallucinations as a symptom. These include schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder with psychotic features. In these disorders, the auditory hallucinations are related to psychosis, which involves a loss of contact with reality.

The exact cause of psychosis in these disorders is still debated. There is some connection to an imbalance of dopamine, a neurotransmitter in the brain. Antipsychotic medications, which alter the action of dopamine in the brain, are the most commonly prescribed and effective form of treatment for auditory hallucinations in these disorders.

Hearing Voices in Dissociative Identity Disorder: Not a Symptom of Psychosis

Unlike in other disorders, hearing voices in DID is not connected to psychosis. In DID, the voices one hears come from within the person. In other disorders, like schizophrenia, the voices come from outside of the person. This is one of the key differences in telling DID apart from psychotic disorders.

In DID, the voices are not a result of a break with reality. The voices are, in essence, real. They are the voices of the alters, or parts, existing within the core person. The voices aren't caused by a chemical imbalance, so medications cannot get rid of them. Many with DID spend their entire lives hearing these voices.

What It's Like to Hear Voices in Dissociative Identity Disorder

Hearing voices is a common symptom in dissociative identity disorder. The voices can't be medicated away. Learn what it's like to hear voices in DID. Read this.There is an an assumption that when a person hears voices, the voices are negative, telling the person to do something bad. This assumption is wrong, as most people, even those without DID, do not experience those types of voices (Schizoaffective Disorder and What It’s Like to Hear Voices).

Many people with DID report hearing voices starting early in their childhoods, while others first started hearing voices in adolescence or adulthood. Sometimes the voices are talking directly to the core person, while other times the voices are just talking among themselves. The voices can be very different: young or old, male or female, high-pitched or low-pitched. Sometimes, the voices all sound the same. Each person's experience of hearing voices in DID is different.

My Experience with Hearing Voices: I'm Not Crazy

I first started hearing voices when I was a teenager. At first I just assumed I was hearing my own inner thoughts. But then I realized the voices were not at all like my own, and quite distinct. I didn't tell anyone about my experiences. I was afraid of being labelled crazy or being locked away in an institution, so I kept the voices a secret for over a decade. It wasn't until my therapist assured me that I wasn't crazy, that I felt comfortable being honest about the voices I had been hearing for so long.

I still hear voices nearly every day. Most of the voices I hear are that of my younger parts. Sometimes, my parts talk to me directly. Other times, it's just random conversations going on inside. I try to keep the lines of communication open. I let my parts have their voices, because they deserve to be heard.

Many people hear voices just like me, and you would never know it. It's just a part of living with DID.

Find Crystalie on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, her website and her blog.

Author: Crystalie Matulewicz

Crystalie is the founder of PAFPAC, is a published author and the writer of Life Without Hurt. She has a BA in psychology and will soon have an MS in Experimental Psychology, with a focus on trauma. Crystalie manages life with PTSD, DID, major depression, and an eating disorder. You can find Crystalie on FacebookGoogle+, and Twitter.

View all posts by Crystalie Matulewicz.

Hearing Voices in Dissociative Identity Disorder

Philip Carr
June, 26 2016 at 8:43 pm

Fascinating. I would love to make a film about this and share someone's experiences. Please get in touch if interested

Natalia buzzeo
September, 15 2018 at 7:55 pm

Hi did you manage to do your film? I could give you some information about my crazy like. I didn't really know if this illness was true or not until I experienced it for 6 year and I didn't know I had it until I came out of it. I have 3 different personalities. I got this because of a very strong medication I was put on. I spoke to the company in America who make this medication yesterday and asked what they had done to me and they explained this. I think it's because I had borderline personality disorder before I started them and because this medication enhances all your emotions they done this. Ever since I stopped them I'm back to myself and don't hear voices anymore. I don't know who I've been for 6 years ha

Shannon
September, 26 2018 at 3:06 am

I’m not sure when you wrote your comment here about making a film about DID. I hope I’m not too late getting back to you, but I just stumbled across this article.

I’ve been living with DID since I was about three years old. Like the author of this article, I thought hearing voices in my head, was normal. It wasn’t until I was a teenager that I began to realize that it’s not normal for everyone to hear voices like I do.

I have several alters. They are all of different ages and there are female (my body is also female and I consider myself a female). But some of my alters are male. They are the protective type, so are several of the female alters, but all of the male alters are protective.

I was diagnosed with MPD, or Multiple Personally Disorder, when I was 24 years old. That was 21 years ago, it wasn’t until about four years ago, that I found out they’d changed the name to Dissociative Identity Disorder.

I began seeing a therapist when I was first diagnosed, 21 years ago. I had to stop seeing her, after we moved out of the state we were living in at the time.

About four years ago, I started seeing another therapist and he’s who told me about the name change. Since working with him, I have learned so much more about DID. I’ve also learned a lot more about myself and my personal experience with DID. I’ve been thinking about writing a book about my story and living with DID, but I’m very busy with my family and haven’t had time to sit down and do that. I’m not even sure where to go or how to get it published, if I did have time to write it.

I’m very interested in sharing my story with you. If you’re still looking for people with DID to help make a film their experiences. I’d love to talk to you about it. Please email me at...

rainbert@me.com

If you don’t mind letting me know, in the “Subject” field, why you’re emailing me. I’d appreciate it, that way I don’t miss seeing your email come through.

Shannon

Ryan
August, 24 2016 at 7:31 pm

Hi, I'm an author who began writing a fiction novel about my own experiences with schizophrenia, depression, etc., but became fascinated with DID and stopped writing about myself. I'm now attempting to write a novel about a main character who has DID. It's a thriller, but I want to make it as accurate as possible. Chapters include meetings with psychiatrists and communication between alters. I would like to know more about how alters communicate with each other. I have a million questions actually, but focussing on that, there was a period where one of the voices that tormented me as an auditory hallucination became a voice in my head as opposed to through my ears. The experience was utterly bizarre, and I was terrified. I thought my hallucination had taken over my thoughts. In any event, I can't imagine how difficult it is for people with DID to live with it. I want my book to raise awareness and not shed a negative light on the disorder. A couple specific questions I have are: 1) When the primary alter (excuse me if my terminology is off) or the identity who is controlling the body speaks with an alter in their head, do any images come along with the voices? I read in a book by a medical professional that alters sometimes visualized the alter they were speaking with. Has anyone had that experience? If so, could you please describe it, 2) When alters are talking to each other, does the primary alter always hear it or can they talk without causing voices in head of whoever is controlling the body, and 3) If anyone would like to share their experience with fusion or integration with me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much and I wish everyone the best of health!

Tiara
March, 30 2017 at 10:18 pm

My core personality (who I am day to day) hears the voices inside my head like a movie commentary. (It is how I got so good at writing movie scripts as a hobby) my alters include a sophisticated middle aged caucasian woman... think Bree Van De Kamp in desperate housewives..) another alter is a russian man who is some what of a dare devil.. he is the one who comes out when I drink mostly.. anothet alter that I hear alot is a mexican man, he is my protector. He comes out whenever I feel scared, or whenever I feel I'm being lied to.
Alot of times my alters will bicker amongst themselves and I can hear it in my head. At first before I was diagnosed, I just thought I "talked to myself" alot but just not outloud. It took along time before my therapist and I found out what was going on.
From what I have learned, my alters have always talked to eachother. It wasnt until I knew what I was looking for that I could hear them. 99% of the time it is inside my head, but my loved ones have heard me talking in different accents before "to myself". My base alter was unaware it was happening but all my other alters were aware of each other.
It usually happens in VERY high stress situations. And when those situations happen it is usually my other alters trying to calm down my protector.
I hope this answered some questions!

Shannon
September, 26 2018 at 4:22 am

Hi Ryan,

I am one of the “few” people? Living with DID. I would love to talk to you about this, I can answer your questions, from my own experience. I’m not sure if everyone who has DID has the same experience with it that I’ve had. But I’d like to talk to you about it.

For your first question, I am the primary person, my name is Shannon & I’m the person who is currently writing this. Yes! For me, I can see & have pretty much always been able to “see” the other parts in my mind. Most of them look quite different from each other. Some of the little ones (all of my little ones are female), have blonde hair and blue eyes. Some have brown hair and blue eyes. Some have brown eyes with either one of those hair colors. One of them is a very pretty strawberry blonde little girl.

As for the teens and adults, the females age anywhere from 13 years old, up to 87 years old. Kaylena, she’s 87, is a gray haired female who’s very kind and gentle. KD (pronounced Kady), is around 40 years old. She used to have jet black hair and blue eyes but that was when she was known as, The Dark One. She was my biggest protective alter, who was up close to the front of my mind. There are other, stronger male alters, but they are difficult to reach & communicate with. I have been able to communicate with them a lot more in the past two years, though. KD is right here with me, pretty much every day. She is the one who took it upon herself to protect us. She will do almost anything necessary to keep us safe. She will gladly swing her fists, bite, pull hair or scratch anyone who pushes us too far. It normally takes her a long time to become that angry, but once she gets there, you don’t want to mess with her. She’s calmed down a lot in the past three years but she’s still a fighter. She’s learning how to control her anger and not let herself become quite so physical with those who she feels is a threat to us. That’s one reason her name changed, she’s trying to get back to the person she was when she was first formed in my mind. One thing about KD, is, once you prove you can’t be trusted with any of us. Or you push her too far, she’s not going to let you down easy. She’ll be watching you while you’re sleeping, she’ll be taking mental notes as well as writing them down. So she can always remember how much you hurt us. She’s not very forgiving of others and because of that, it’s best to keep her on your good side. Lol

I’m not going to tell you about every alter I have, but I thought I’d give you a bit of an idea of what it’s like for me. I can tell you that one of my favorite alters to talk to, in my own head. Is also one of my alters whom my husband would rather not have to talk to, ever again, if he had his choice. She’s a 16 year old teenager who loves life and loves to make people happy. She also loves to talk, & I guess that’s what my husband doesn’t like about her. I think she’s one of the most fun personalities that I have, though. I’m sure she would love to talk to you about DID.

I’ve made drawings of every one of my alters. My therapist has the majority of them. But I’m sure he would let me take pictures of them to send to you. If you’re interested in seeing what I see inside my mind, when I’m looking at the others.

For your second question. That’s sort of a two part question, at least in my experience it would be.

Does the primary person always hear the others talking? For me the answer is, no! I don’t always hear everything they say. Actually, from my understanding, DID purposely makes the voices “quiet”, from time to time. The individual parts were created by the brain to help the main person, deal with something or several things, that happened to them, usually at a young age.

So for any of the other parts to be able to communicate with each other. Without upsetting or even making the primary person aware of a traumatic event. Would be contrary to the reason for creating the individual parts in the first place.

This isn’t something that most people understand about DID, so I hope I didn’t offend you by saying that.

I feel that there’s a second part to your second question, here. Which is the part where you referred to the “primary” person. As well as referring to “whoever is in control of the body”. From my experience & from what I’ve read and been told about DID. Those two things can and often are, two or more different “people”.

An example would be, “ My given name is Shannon, when I was born, my parents gave me this name. At that point in time, I was only one person. No one else was living in my head until I was about three years old.”

So, until one of the first of the traumatic events that happened to me, happened. Which was the beginning of my mind needing to create the other parts & consequently, giving me DID. I was just one person, like anyone who doesn’t have DID.

Shannon may be, or may not be, in control of my body, at any point in time. So, the answer to, what I would consider being the second half, of your question, in question number two. Would be this...

Shannon doesn’t always hear everything that all of the other parts say. Shannon can hear each part speak, but only if she’s supposed to hear it.

However, Shannon is not always the one in control of the body. If Jeremiah needs or wants to come out & he controls the body for a time. Shannon may or may not hear any of the other parts speaking. It could be that only Jeremiah hears them. Or possibly, Jeremiah only hears one other part talking. While the others are way back in the deepest part of our mind, talking to each other.

At the same time, Jeremiah may only speak to Shannon, & that can happen when either of them is in control of our body.

Does that make sense? Id be happy to explain it in more detail later, if youd like me to.

For your third question. I can’t say that I’ve fully experienced integrating yet. Honestly, I’m not sure that I want to do that, either. I’ve lived with my other parts for so many years, the majority of my life. That I honestly don’t think I want to interstate. At least, I don’t think I would want to fully do that.

It may sound funny to someone who has never experienced living with DID, but for me. Having the inner support system that was created when I needed it most. Is something I don’t think I’d like to live without.

I had a very short time when everyone inside was quiet and I couldn’t get them to talk. Most of them, I couldn’t even find. I knew they were still here, but they weren’t communicating with me, or anyone else. They hid in the darkest parts of my mind and I was terribly lonely.

Upon hearing from one of them, they had all chosen to be still. To sit in the darkness and to only be a memory in my life and my family’s lives. It was because they felt betrayed by my family and mostly, by my husband.

It lasted about four months and I hated it. I didn’t have the emotional support I was used to having. I’m sure it sounds totally nuts, but it’s true. Still, today, none of them are the way they were before a year and a half ago. Most of them don’t come out to talk, if anyone in my family is around. My family made them believe that if they all worked together to make me more “normal”. That my family would be there for us. They made so many promises & almost all of them were broken. So, although my protective parts want to come do something extremely mean, the kind parts don’t want to come deal with my family right now. I’m positive that will change at some point, but because I’ve experienced the quiet of the “normal” mind. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to have a normal mind. I think I like the others whom share my mind, body and life with me.

I would like to talk to someone who has been able to integrate. I’m curious if it’s as wonderful as we all think it’s supposed to be. Or if it’s actually more fun to have alters in your mind. 🙂

Sam
September, 7 2016 at 1:17 pm

Hi Ryan
In response to your first question simply, yes. Or I at least have that experience I can be shown images during theses conversations like photos or videos being flashed right in front of my face. Like someone else's thoughts and perspectives are being forced on me on me in a way by almost literally being shoved right at me. I also am able to see/ visualise who's talking depending on which part of me it is.
Question 2: as far as I know I don't hear everything that's going on and I do have my blank spells where there are gaps where I don't know what's happened.
hope that sheds some light at least

CW
September, 13 2016 at 7:18 am

Hi Ryan,
Just like Sam replied, mine is quite similar. At times, I forget that occasional "we" will have conversations and often reply out loud . I have long since been diagnosed by multiple Dr's and specialist along with complex PTSD and others. I have also been misdiagnosed as schizoaffective given meds that actually made it worse, since the auditory wasn't a form of psychosis but part of a whole, but only a few are known and capable. There are others but are unknown to the core as of yet.

Debby
September, 28 2016 at 2:15 pm

I am just learning about this as there's a lot about it that they say I show,do an say while
Others are at work. Me to originally diagnosis end with schizo effective disorder but first was told about this 5years ago but I think I got lost somewhere till lately.

Brighton
December, 9 2016 at 6:28 am

I am 16 and have been hearing voices since earlier than age 11. I was repeatedly abused - physically, emotionally, and sexually as a child. I have had problems with dissociation since 6. I recall "zoning out" so much that I would forget who I was and begin to cry. I have been involved with mental health professionals since aged 11 and was recently told that these "voices" I hear may become separate identities. I fear they have because they are all already very distinct. So my question is - how do these types of things develop into DID?

Patty
April, 7 2017 at 5:33 pm

Not Sure if it's DID

Patty
April, 7 2017 at 5:46 pm

My adult son started talking to himself from his inner thoughts of his life events, and after taking some antipsychotic drugs also uncontrolled movement. The doctors said he has schitzoaffective while others think it's stress and trauma. He was on one med after another and just made him worse. I can not find the right help for him., without another doctor putting him on more drugs. Now he akithisia from these drugs. His thoughts are from his head and not from the outside first he kept the thoughts to himself until the mix of drugs. He has conversations with his inner thoughts or sometimes yells because of situations he was in and very trauma experience. If anybody has any input please let me know what you think. Thank You

Daniel
April, 18 2017 at 6:07 pm

More than just voices

Wendy Barkman
May, 12 2017 at 5:27 pm

Thanks? Really? This is the best science has to offer on this topic?

I can speak only from experience.

In no way has multiple personalities ever felt like "hearing voices!"

It's who I am. It's how I assess my surroundings and my whole being reacts with the most appropriate, respectful, loving, strong persona in response. It's a spiritual thing. It's like letting Life bring out the very best in you.

Wendy Barkman
May, 12 2017 at 5:52 pm

Again from my experience:
I didn't need more medication- I had a message that needed to be heard. I needed people- people close to me and the medical professionals I confided in- to hear what I needed to say. Don't get scared when I admit I'm suicidal. In my case, I'm simply saying I'm very overwhelmed or I feel very alone and misunderstood. Listen and show you care. This is something we can walk through, holding hands through the pain. Thanks, Korey Dyck, for showing me two are better than one.

Sherry
May, 12 2017 at 7:40 pm

in some cases medication CAN stop the voices. I started Naltrexone about 4 years ago and never dissociated or heard another voice since, despite previously having DID. Meds affect everyone differently. So while meds may not work for everyone it IS possible to treat DID and the voices with medication.

Crystalie Matulewicz
May, 13 2017 at 8:04 am

Some would suggest a misdiagnosis in that case, then. Because it is even current agreement that there is no medicinal cure or treatment for DID. The auditory hallucinations may have been connected to another disorder.

Allison
May, 13 2017 at 9:54 pm

There is no medication that will help DID, although, there are meds to treat other disorders that may accompany parts (alters). Some of my parts have eating disorders, borderline personality,etc. I have Complex PTSD and depression myself

Ace
January, 9 2018 at 4:01 am

I've hallucinate a lot, and sometimes the hallucinations speak or whisper.
Most of the time I just have voices in my head talking over me.
Other times it's a voice speaking from a certain thing. When I was little it use to be this hallucination of a child who would talk to me all the time.
I always thought it was normal to have the two linked together?
Is it not?

Crystalie Matulewicz
January, 10 2018 at 1:01 am

The hallucinations you are describing don’t sound to be a part of DID, but perhaps another psychotic disorder. DID is connected to auditory hallucinations from inside.

Chad
January, 29 2018 at 3:37 pm

As of current I have a female part that hates my fiancée, on a daily basis she speaks awfully about her to me and my other parts. Since she knows the things I worry about the most she tends to use those to try put a wedge between my fiancée and myself. Any advice about that?

Amanda
May, 4 2018 at 6:10 pm

You give people really suffering such a bad name, its obvious you are faking especially with your you tube channel! Stop now before you cause more damage

Dan
May, 22 2018 at 7:50 pm

Schizophrenia is a crime against humanity. Please spread an awareness of this crime. The blog is based on a true story!!

Here are further proof to understand that this is a crime. That being said, delusions are there due to meaningful interactions with things that suppose to be a coincidence and human beings are making false assumptions to judge these interactions so they end up in making false claims. This is why people think that they are being followed, their thoughts are being broadcast, their houses has been bugged etc...

1). The voices constantly told me they were never leaving, and that I’d have to learn to deal with it. They told me that our entire society is inside of a quantum computer, and that we are all just lab rats, being studied by their people. In particular, they told me that I was being “stress tested” to see how stress affected my memory. The voices constantly asked me questions about my memory and asked what medications I was taking, whenever I took pills. I could hear these voices clear as day, as if through a radio of some kind. On a few occasions, I actually saw people that correlated with the voices, faint visual hallucinations. Mind you, prior to all of this, I led a fairly normal life with no history of psychosis or mental disorders, except mild PTSD and ADD.”” - http://hvn.forumatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=551

2). Raina Walks “if i needed to get somewhere i did not know the directions to…they would literally lead me there without me having looked at a map…just with them directing me…it is heady stuff…” - http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread36344.html

3). one time though the voices told me something i couldn’t have known – they informed me that the 9/11 attack was about to happen in new york.. ten days later it transpired…(This voice hearers mind generated this voices? He knew this attack? Obviously he was surprised to see. When are we using our common sense?) -http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-469466.html

4). “My voice gathers information from around the globe and gives me heads up months in advance for important events. -http://www.hearing-voices.org/voices-visions/comment-page-2/

5). Actually, they can do any voice they want (man, woman, child, God, devil, British guy, Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Mexican, someone I know, etc.). It’s a skill they have that I’ve learned to appreciate, and I find incredibly entertaining. - (Can we imitate anyone's voice? If not then why would someone get this ability when they are mentally ill ? Is that a mental illness or a skill? ) http://hvn.forumatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1203

Dan
May, 22 2018 at 8:25 pm

Lizonaplane
August, 15 2018 at 9:11 pm

I have been diagnosed with both bipolar with psychosis and dissociative ptsd. I don’t know (and apparently neither do any doctors I’ve seen over the past 20+ years) if the voices are from the dissociation or from psychosis, as I have other types of psychosis including paranoia and delusions depending on whether I am manic or depressed. The voices are definitely in my head and have different speech patterns but some tell me to do things like hurt myself depending on my mood. They are usually there more when I am stressed. Is it possible to determine if they are PTSD vs Psychosis? Does it matter?

Natalia
September, 15 2018 at 8:16 pm

Hi is anybody wanting to know my experience on DID? I could give you some information about my crazy life. I didn't really know if this illness was true or not until I experienced it for 6 year and I didn't know I had it until I came out of it a few month ago. It's like I've been somone else for 6 year and have no clue who. One of my personalities wasn't very nice. It was like I was possessed, I had no clue what I was doing. It was fun in one way but scary in an other not being in control like that. If anyone wants to ask me anything. Feel free too. I got the DID from a medication I was put on, I've spoke to the company and they said it happens in 1-100 of the patients x

Crystalie
September, 22 2018 at 9:52 pm

Hi Natalia,

Have you experienced any trauma? There hasn’t been any data on DID being caused by a medication. It has to occur in early childhood. Other forms of dissociation may occur from a medication, but not DID.

sharon gallant
September, 20 2018 at 9:39 pm

mentall illness and the miss understood //voices dose not mean i am vain

gina
September, 23 2018 at 10:40 pm

this isn't necessary true the military has technology that they test out on what the world considers poor class ppl that rely on government aid. its the government allowing testing on humans for the secret military use