Love and DID: Sometimes More is Less

August 23, 2010 Holly Gray

Today, I'm pausing my discussion of the contributing factors in the development of Dissociative Identity Disorder to talk about Dissociative Identity Disorder and relationships. Navigating relationships may be the single biggest challenge I encounter living with DID. I see the havoc my disorder wreaks on my most intimate relationships and I feel helpless to do anything about it. I watch my partner in particular struggle with abandonment, loneliness, and the chaotic nature of DID and I know that more personalities doesn't always mean more love.

By LittleMissPip

Sometimes More is Less

I met a woman once who told me that " ... a pound of crazy weighs more than ten pounds of awesome." It hurt to hear and that comment is a big part of why we never became friends. Even so, I see her point. Sometimes all the fabulous I can muster can't compete with the destabilizing effects of DID. Loving me means accepting abandonment, making friends with loneliness, and strapping yourself in for a wild and sometimes nauseating ride. One day you're loved and adored, the next you're treated with cold indifference. Some alters see you as a comrade, but not a romantic partner. To some you're a nuisance; to some a playmate. To others you're a stranger, or even a threat. And it isn't as though you can choose who you interact with or, as in my case, even expect the courtesy of knowing who you're dealing with at any given moment. Intimate relationships are difficult enough without that degree of ambiguity and inconsistency. Love cannot live on sporadic nourishment, no matter how delicious.

Everyone seems to grow thin with me
and their eyes grow black as hunters' eyes
and search my face for sustenance.
All my friends are dying of hunger,
there is some basic dish I cannot offer,
and you my love are almost as lean
as the splendid wolf I must keep always
at my door. -from Memoirs of a Mad Cook, by Gwendolyn MacEwen

Sometimes Less is Enough

My partner has learned to live with hunger. Parts of my system have worked tirelessly to push her away, with many near-successes. She's in a relationship with someone who repeatedly leaves. Once she described it to me saying:

"Imagine you're having a conversation with someone. In the middle of your sentence, they turn to stare out the window and they're gone. You're talking to yourself."

This kind of small abandonment is part of her daily life. The loneliness that results is bound to be all the more frustrating knowing that somewhere in that body is your partner, but you can't get to them. I vacillate between struggle to alleviate that loneliness and feeling resentful of it. I can't make up for all the losses in my intimate relationships without incurring some of my own. So my partner and I try to accept the limits of DID. Fortunately for me, she decided long ago that ten pounds of awesome does in fact weigh more than a pound of crazy.

Gray, H. (2010, August 23). Love and DID: Sometimes More is Less, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2020, August 14 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/dissociativeliving/2010/08/love-and-did-sometimes-more-is-less

Author: Holly Gray

spencer
August, 12 2020 at 9:19 am

If you can .........avoid relationships with did,mpd disorders at all costs it is a lost cause before youve even started for both sides..it will destroy you in the end .you cannot have a normal loving relationship its impossible..you dont even know who they are most of the time unless its the original alter/host/person???? who you actually felt something for ...you might only meet them once in a week the rest of the time your in limbo.....please think long and hard before you jump in.

dustin
July, 11 2020 at 12:58 am

so i know this person who has DID. we're pretty good friends, but i think i've developed a crush on one of his alters. is that a bad thing? because i don't exactly like him, but his alter. and i also have no idea if his alter is gay or not so :/

Maria
April, 13 2020 at 9:47 am

Why did I have to attract this? I will never know
most difficult and saddest three years of my life. I don’t wish anyone to go through this tiring relationship. You are left feeling abandoned all the time

spencer
August, 11 2020 at 3:00 pm

yes i know it absolutly destroyed me...i wanted to give the young lady i met in greece all the love i posessed and i swore to her i would stand beside her and fight for her to my last breath..in the end i was left a former shell of myself ..i was decimated exhausted both mentally emotionally and physically...i had to throw in the towel in the end and that hurt me more than anything....i still think of her and still remeber the first time i met her ..her alter ( not understanding) at the time was a lovely woman called melanie that i met..... i didnt know anything about mpd/ did then and i thought thats who she was but i was wrong obviously once the other alters started to manifest it got soo tough it was blinding...my heart breaks for her she was a beautiful looking woman.ive done a lot of research ever since and i hope one day god puts a cure in front of all did mpd sufferes my heart bleeds for them

Jemma
May, 14 2019 at 5:49 am

So I'm dating someone with did, and they have 3 alters. But the system has a negative alter they call alpha that recently took control of the host and I'm pretty sure alpha is going to be in control for a while. I feel helpless and I just don't know what to do.

Jemma
May, 13 2019 at 8:39 pm

I'm currently dating someone with DID for about 2 months now, and they have 3 alters, but one of them is a negative alter he calls Alpha. One of his other alters warned me that if anyone were to mention anything about popularity, Alpha would take over the host. Alpha took control of the host while he was riding the bus home today and I feel as If I can't do anything to help him, I talked to Alpha over text and I feel like the negative alter isn't going to let the host take control anytime soon, and I just don't know what to do.

Zamo
May, 8 2019 at 4:17 am

Hey my name is Zamo, my lover suffers from DID, well it started back in 2017 he thought and probably still thinks he's possessed. Ever since it started he's been pushing me away telling me to stay the hell away from him for some reason. Then after some time, sometimes after a few hours sometimes after a few days or even a couple of months he's come back and tell me how sorry he is and how he can't live without me and how he's never loved anyone like he loves me. Bc I love him i let him back in. He's practically the only person i trust with my life even though he's a ticking bomb. Idk but something about that just makes fall even more in love w him. He's the only man I've ever loved.
We're really too young for all of this. But I try in all ways possible. I'm even considering studying psychology to just understand more about this disorder. Currently we've separated and he's been pushing me away, ignoring my calls and driving himself crazy. I text him almost everyday to show him that I care since he won't answer my calls. He sent me a message just once last week Wednesday wishing me a good day and reminding me to take care of myself. I won't give up on him, i love him and he knows it. I just don't know what do anymore and it's driving me insane pls help!

Kerry
March, 4 2020 at 12:33 pm

I have DID and i reverently got rejected by my partner who i suspect had undiagnosed DID.I would seriously guard your own mental health.DID is a serious illness.Is the guy , you are with getting, therapy or even have the capacity to commit to a relationship with you? Love has boundaries and limits.Please take care of yout mental health you are real danger of developing mental health issues or even PTSD symptoms if you are repeatedly exposed to the abandonement cycle.It does eat away at your sense of worth.I dont know how long you have been in this relationship.But you need to seriously comsider , whether you have the time , suppprt network yourself & are potentially willing to have your own needs unmet.
I was emotionally starved for two years being with my ex partner who also had addiction issues.1 month on of being separated from him and it feels like a plane crashed and im left to figure out what exactly happened.He suggested he would cheat if i didnt meet his needs.He had narcissit qualities too as well as being manipulative and abusive..
I pray your partner doesnt have these traits, but if he does i would say walk away now.My ex partner knew i loved him, inflew half way around the world to see him.In the end he used the love i had for him to try to abuse and degrade me.I would say if you are being repeatedly abandoned its something you have to learn to live with as part of DID or walk away.Dont feel guilty for it you have yo love yourself more than the person you are with.
I hope you make the right decision

Tyler
June, 20 2020 at 3:27 pm

Hey I need some help, my now ex who had a crush on me for 5-6 years straight and when the pandemic started she got admitted to the hospital for self harm.... recently she says that while she was there she claimed she didn’t miss me... now she blocked me on two apps and left the other three untouched but still uses them... I think she is mad at me for over pushing things and claims that me and her aren’t friends.... I’m freaking out and I don’t know what to do.... is there any advice I can use to get her in the end... during our relationship she was the happiest she was when it was me and her.... we had some ups and downs with my parents highly disliking her.... what can I do???? I’ll do anything to get her back again

Marley
March, 19 2019 at 12:38 pm

Does anyone know anything about DID and using a polyamorous relationship to balance things out? I've found in my latest relationship that adopting a thrupple idea with my girlfriend seems to work for the system (a 3 girl thrupple) for me it really seems like everyone gets the right amount of attention just when they need it.

CS
March, 27 2019 at 2:07 pm

Yes. I'm close to two people with DID, and non-monogamy is a godsend. I don't think these relationships would thrive or possibly even endure without them having the flexibility non-monogamy allows, as well as me being able to get support and stability from other relationships (though both my DID darlings give me everything they've got and are amazing, inspiring people—well worth the effort and periodic heartache <3).

N
September, 26 2019 at 7:40 am

Hello. Im the SO to somebody with DID. I really feel like I'm struggling with having my needs met. I have mentioned to her about wanting a third person for me to feel fulfilled. But it scares her. Do you have any advice for me? Please

Dave
March, 3 2020 at 9:46 pm

I'm ethically non-monogamous, and am closely partnered with a system with OSDD (the host of which is also ethically non-monogamous). I'd be careful about the idea that non-monogamy is a catch-all workaround - "Relationship Broken, Add People" almost never works. Non-monogamy is HARDER than monogamy in a lot of ways, due to added complexity and running cross-grain to many cultural relationship norms.
I'd encourage you to check out Poly.Land and More Than Two if you're seriously considering adopting an ethically non-monogamous relationship. The latter has a Do's and Don'ts article that's particularly good.

TI
June, 8 2020 at 6:08 pm

My SO has a host who is non-monogamous, but an Alter who is insanely jealous, hidden, and brings out the protector. It is impossible to negotiate or even talk about. So, it can work, but is definitely not for everyone.

Shaateezy
December, 26 2018 at 2:33 pm

Help pls email me wanna get some feedback urgently

Mona
November, 6 2018 at 5:06 pm

I have DID and I just recently found out last summer. I just started a new relationship but my alters keep trying to reach out to my ex bc they believe we are suppose to be with him. I fight with them all day long and they dont like my currebt SO. We talk about getting married but they dont think she can handle us. I'm scared im making the wrong choices all the time and i dont know what to do or what im in control of anymore. They drive her away and then i bring her back. I haven't told my current SO that they contacted him. I have blocked him a few times hoping my alters will get the clue to stop. I feel like i should be by myself bc i cant control my/their actions and words. I have one thats really mean when i get upset and switch. I need help to navigate all this. The few stories i read about people having and keeping relationships is hopeful but is it really fair to be with someone and make them suffer forever?

Y.S
October, 5 2018 at 1:55 am

I needed to write this somewhere because for the past month I've been searching for a way to help my loved one. But failed to find any solution...
I met him 5 years ago, knew he had DID but still fell for him. He had a gf at the time so I stepped back and the moment he broke up with his gf I stepped back further causing him to think I abandoned him... Because of that, he got with another girl for 3 years and when he decided he wants to be with me he broke off with her but it was pretty ugly as I thought he clarified everything the moment he got with me but after he went back to another country because of his studies, I found out he had to meet his ex to give her a closure.
The most dramatic part was, we had shared a lovely 2 and a half month together as a couple, only to be separated because of his concussion. He got robbed when he was going to find his ex and because he couldn't contact me, I was frantically worried but honestly, I hated the fact that he was with his ex the whole time.
He told me another alter took over and then we didn't talk for a while and after a few days, his other alter told me that his memories are messed up and he thinks he is still with his ex. I suspect I have BPD so at this point, I could only feel him leaving me.
Thoughts on my mind at that time were pretty obvious which was just how I was not enough for him and he probably loved his ex more than me and what he told me were just lies. Which was why he could leave me so easily 3 years ago and this wouldn't be an exception...
I believed those and it made our relationship even harder... especially when he completely disappeared. His other alter was all over his ex and I had to hear all those from his alter... Being miles away from him, I wish I could have just went over and maybe try to make things right but knowing that I may actually be useless in the end... that I am actually not loved by him killed me... Because of his DID, I too made myself think I have DID or more like I went all the way to isolate myself and created another character that could help me live and take care of myself.
Till today, I still miss him and recently I got to talk to his alter whom said that he is around but he isn't the one that I know... His alter said that the him now is emotionless and that just made me felt guilty because I feel as if I made him this way... If I never appeared , he would never had to suffer like this.. But I really want to work things out with him...
I know I may deserve someone better or he may too but I really just want to be with him, support him and at least I just want to work things out with him during this tough period... I really wish he would come back and patch things up with me..
I told his alter I would wait for him for 2 years but... as time pass, I'm healing.. The want to be with him doesn't change but I'm scared that he'd just run away from me like before and... I'm trying so hard to fight and survive but I don't know what to do... I just want him back... I just want him to be happy, healthy and safe...
Please come back...
Yuki

Bek
August, 28 2018 at 7:22 am

Firstly, thank you so much for this post. I was engaged to a woman who I now believe to have had DID. It's strange because I'd prior researched DID years before meeting her and when I was in a relationship the thought didn't even cross my mind that she may have had DID. I was raised in a Christian home and the belief was that people who suffer from DID are in actual fact possessed, a belief which I do not agree with in the slightest after being engaged to a sufferer. I say sufferer but in actual fact I love the fact that she has this condition. I love her personalities and I naturally treated each of them differently. We called the child "little her" and (I'm assuming the host) "big her", she'd also switch to (what I was lead to believe was our future children). I would go with her into her flashbacks and help her escape from her traumatic experiences. She knew that her safe place was with me and when I would say certain words or play a specific song I had made she would switch back and come out of her flashback. She would have many seizures, she told me that she had been diagnosed with MND, which is a terminal illness, and that she didn't have long to live. She suffered with anxiety and OCD. She said that was the reason why her body would shut down and she would have seizures due to an allergic reaction to her medication. We went through a lot together in such a short space of time and it's the most intense relationship I've ever been in. It was strange because I was able to communicate with her telepathically (I know that sounds weird but it's true). She could hear everything I was thinking. Things changed when one time she came out of the bathroom and looked at me as though she didn't have a clue who I was. I then had to explain to her what had happened over the past few months, big events that she had no recolection of. She looked at me as though I was a stranger and she didn't trust me, that hurt beyond belief. Because I didn't know exactly what was going on I started to get suspicious of her. A lot of her actions (constantly disappearing, being off with me, starting arguments just so she could leave) lead me to believe that there was something else going on. I eventually found out that she was literally living a double life. She was already in a relationship and had children. I don't know who I was engaged to. This broke me. I still believe there's a part of her that loves me as I do her but for whatever reason that part is not allowed to take control. Side note, because this is also quite interesting. She was able to tell the future and when I mentioned about me talking to her alters that I believed to be our children, well, strangely after parting I ended up getting into another relationship with a woman who was the same age as "little her" and her younger siblings had the exact same character traits, ages and even one of them has the same name as her alters that I believed to be our children. I couldn't make this up if I tried. I'm always going to love her, I feel as though she's my twin flame. I really bought into her past almost as though it was my own (in a different lifetime). I hope she's okay and that she finds love because she truly deserves it. My life is better for the fact of meeting her. For one, I'd still be living in the closet now if she didn't help me. She opened my eyes to so much and I thank every part of her. I don't really know why I wrote this I just needed to share my story with someone who might understand.

Bek
August, 28 2018 at 7:25 am

Side Note... the "little her" I'm referring to is 18 before anyone gets the wrong idea.

Keisha
March, 8 2020 at 3:51 pm

How did you do it? How did you integrate yourself into your partners life like that and learn so much. I want to do that. My SO just confirmed his DID and diagnosis to me on Friday. I want to help him and love them all. I need guidance.

Panpan
March, 12 2020 at 9:18 am

Hi there! Here's from another someone who's in a relationship with someone who has been diagnosed with DID about a year ago. Every system works differently so all other people can do is offer you perspectives, but they don't need to apply to you. What I learned within that year: be open your SO but don't expect all of them to reciprocate immediately. It takes a lot of patience and you should always put your own needs and self love first to "endure" it. Some might never open up completely but that's not because they don't love you. It's just a difficult process. Accept that while you are in a relationship with your SO, the kind of relationship you will have might always depend on who is in control at the time. Also keep in mind that you don't have to feel the same about all of them and that if this compromises your relationship in a way that hurts you, then you are always free to leave it. If you want to take this conversation further, leave a reply and I can give you my mail!

Anthony
July, 2 2020 at 6:08 pm

Hey, I would like to know more information if possible. I am presently in a realtionship for about 1 month and my partner
just disclosed she has DID. I have read many of the articles, mostly negative and can't help still wanting to move forward.

Marlie
August, 6 2018 at 8:26 pm

Hey I just came across this article and it completely blew my mind. I was diagnosed with DID from my psychiatrist about a year and a half ago but what they described was nothing like this at all. i was talking to her about how i was feeling and missing time and forgetting and feeling like i was squished in my own skin or taller and broader than i really am and it always made things so difficult. i cant keep my thoughts together and it seems like every few seconds i'm loosing track of something and its like im slowly losing my mind.
i can remember the most random things but i cant for the life of me put a name to a face or remember what someone just said or forget what im saying while im saying it...half of what comes out of my mouth feels like nonesense....i dont know...i guess im at plate 0 and just realizing there's other people in my head and it scares me, makes me wonder if I'm just an alter ...makes me worry about...everything...

Nik
July, 21 2018 at 11:16 am

I was a significant other of someone with DID. In the beginning, she told me about having "alter egos" and the way people joke about that and use the word "crazy" so loosely, I thought she was joking. She never sat me down and discussed it seriously or let me know what I was getting into. Because of that, I didn't understand why our relationship mimicked an EKG report. The up and down wore me out! It wasn't until I witnessed her going from child like to the mean version that I knew she really was battling DID. it was then when I started reading up on it to learn more and see if there is help for it. I told her that I read up on it and that support groups and therapy is possible. Her response was that she thought she was beyond help. I told her that I had read stories about people who thought the same thing but once they got help they were good. She still showed no interest. I told her that I'd be there for her and go with her, she still made excuses. When we would get into it because she was having an alter it would drain me so much. I couldn't see staying with her if she refused to get help. I feel bad because I know it's not her fault, it's the condition. It would start to affect my every day life and how I interacted with people. I couldn't let that happen. I will always love her. In addition to did she also suffers from bipolar disorder, anxiety, and PTSD. All of which she refused medication because she feels it's poison. I am so happy to have found this forum and I hope people are still responding because I would love a response to my situation.

Nico Green
June, 3 2018 at 5:32 am

Hi Holly,
Your article is exactly what I've lived through. My now ex bf of 7 months he suffers from DID. I was with him through 2 major changes the first one 5 and half months was with an alter, then the last month and half was with the one born in the body. They were both loving and caring and I grew to love them both deeply. They had said that they were the last two personalities left. I was a judgement free place for them to communicate about the others and their feelings and it seems they appreciated it. But they never told me about this 3rd one. He laims he was caused my some severe head trauma at a very early age and he was not created by the person born in the body and is wired differently. Is that even possible? Well this third personality doesn't do relationships so we instantly we broken up. I tried to get to know him, we have went out and hung out. But he finally told me he doesnt find me sexually attractive. Im really heartbroken he is so cold and distant. I had to go over and give back keys and get my medicines and belongings from his place. Its crazy how one alter can totally turn a persons world upside down. Its really been hard for me wanting the others but their gone now. People have been telling me to leave the whole situation alone. I know he is dealing with way more than me being gone for 5 years but he cares nothing about how it affects me.

Quinn
May, 20 2018 at 2:47 pm

I have developing DID, I have gone from having 2 alters over 10 years to now having 6, one of which is a 5/6 year old girl called Ellie (which being a 29 year old man Is a challenge) my partner now worries about my switch in states during Sex, in her words “You are a man who I love and want to sleep with, but Also a 6 year old girl who wants to be my best friend, it’s a mindfuck
What the hell can I say!

Clay
February, 27 2018 at 10:07 pm

Hi Nicolle, I personally struggle with DID and have been in therapy for the past two years. Something you need to keep an open mind is that we truly believe we are monsters due to the serious extreme trauma we have endured. When his protector is telling you to keep away this is a part of him that is utterly terrified of love. For him to accept love he has to accept how damaged he is. Please remember you cannot rescue or change someone if they are not ready. Chaos and lack of love and support is all we grew up knowing and as a protector it feels safer to continue in an environment we know best or learned to survive. His protector wants you to be safe and the only way he knows how is to push you away from himself. I want you to be safe and I have had my own abusive behaviours in a relationship please ensure your safety above all. There is hope however but he needs to be able to process the trauma with a lot of help and support. The pain you speak of is the love we know best it is a reminder of the love we never had. your trying to rationalize something that is not rational. At the end of the day like any relationship does his good outweigh the bad and can you live like this long term. He will need to love an accept all these parts to love you. Even his darkest part needs the light and will take time to grow. Please ask him to get help and that you realize it will take time and he has all the time in the world. Do not threaten abandonment as you will have a war! in time with the right support both of you wil be able to make the decision if the relationship is healthy! Please make sure your safe!

Abby
February, 18 2018 at 3:45 pm

What are the signs of DID? Should I ask my bf if he has this? Maybe he doesn’t know, could it be BPD? I’ve been involved with him for about 6 months but he travels for work and doesn’t communicate at all when he’s on business trips.

Becca Hargis
February, 20 2018 at 7:08 am

Hi, Abby. The signs of DID vary by person. Speaking only for me, I had time loss, blackouts, hearing voices inside my head, headaches, different handwriting, among other things. I am wondering if lack of communication is the only reason you would approach your bf if he has DID or BPD? I've never heard of lack of communication as a symptom of DID or BPD. Either way, I can't tell you to whether or not to ask him, but if you do decide to discuss his behavior, I wonder if asking him about his lack of communication would be a better option? Another thought might be why do you think lack of communication equals a mental issues? All the best to you.

mikel ravizza
January, 31 2018 at 12:48 am

I'm am an american living in Bangkok.. I can speak and read Thai. However I met a Khmer guy (Cambodian)
and fell in love with him here in Bangkok.. I had never been in love before, I was not looking for
love.. funny how that happens. Luckily I was also learning. Khmer (Cambodian) because he does not speak
anything but that. .. Even though I can write, and we live together, for three years this
relationship has been the most beautiful,and most painful thing I had ever experienced.
It took a year for me to touch him in bed. Two weeks ago we had a big argument because he did not
come home until 6am. As I approached him, he started talking about himself in the third person. His name
is Dara, but he saying "How could you do this to Dara?" .. Not getting it, I told Dara how sorry I was, his reply,
"I am not Dara".. he turned and walked away... He would not tell me his name. I then realized I was talking to a female.
She said, Dara is crying, and she comes when the family or I hurt him. I had hurt him... This was some sort of protector .. now
I get it.. and lately she shows up all the time. She hates me.
That was enough to crack this puzzle.. This three year puzzle. I was always suspecting more people were involved, I even accused
him of having a secret evil twin brother that he never told me about. Thank god for alittle levity in this tortured existance.
its not been all pain.. On Christmas morning, Dara gave me a Rose. I"m easy.. I loved it.. just flower but I loved it..,
but he was standing there he would not leave... I'm holding the rose and well, you see Dara can't talk much about his feelings.
The others seem to have stolen his voice for emotions.. He was smiling and doing a semi grunt.. Baffled, I guess...he wants me to
put the rose in water.!!. I rush to the kitchen with the
Rose, but Dara is following me.. smiling but looking very fustrated.. .Then he looks down at the rose, and so do I, and in the flower is a
ring.. He was asked me to marry him on Christmas day.. I was blown to Juipeter and back.. so beautiful.. But only a few weeks later apocalypse distruction..
,he is gone(again). Well we go alot from each other. alot alot. But within 24 hours we are chatting and exchainging sorrys.. But lately
he says I've been hurting him everyday. He said he does not want to see me hurt. Then for the first time I told him about last week.. I've seen his others.
I've seen his protector. Meakly he mumbled "a girl?".. Bingo.. But no more talking about this. He is so shy and so private, and I feel like I have just ripped
open his skull and exposed every secret, hiding in every nook and crany of his 24 year old life to CNN. .
But he did not deny it. he just said "I hope I'm better soon". That lead me to the web.. and thank god here.
I've bee nreading this blog, and it just fits.. ITs so amazingly helpful. Its the first help I have had.. There is no support for this in South East Asia..
I love him so much, and I know Dara loves me. But the protector hates
me. The protector is a female, she does some of the meanest pathologically cruel things to me I have ever experienced. A couple
months ago I was waiting all day for him to come home.it was his last day in Bangkok.. I was missing him.. weaping a bit to myself.. I saw him do
the same.. but when he got up, .off he went.. again.... he never called...just disappeared. I was so hurt by, just this but then. at 2am he told me he has been
having sex with multiple people... all day.. and he already had his bag and is leaving for his home.. and "Do I miss him?" I just starred
at the words, then next this I see, told me "I am finished".. he broke up with me. I was hanged, drawn and quartered, and then packaged and tossed in the
bin via Chat in less then 60 seconds. We did not speak for 1 month ...
I know Dara is the main personality or do I? Maybe I'm hooked on one of the subornates? ISn't there a list somewhere showing
names and order of importance? I know he was horribly abused in his village as a
child. He comes from one of the poorest countries on the planet, worked in the sex industry and has somehow found
his way to me...An american guy who can support him and his family forever (and yes that is a very important factor in
these relationships).. But he always says he loves me.. And I can finally accept it. Well did love me. Now I don't know. I'm so confused. I'm so in love...Sorry so long.. I'm lonly and this is the first time I can see other people having the same struggle. thankusomuch

Valerie Rabb
January, 10 2018 at 2:10 am

Would someone with DID benefit from going into a long-term psychiatric program

Sandy
February, 23 2018 at 8:55 pm

Olivia
January, 9 2018 at 12:57 pm

Hi Nicolle, have you had any reply or have you found any good support networks? I am going through the exact same as you at the moment and it hurts real bad. It's like this once movie person turns cold and treats me like a stranger and wants to leave me, is scared of hurting me but is doing exactly that pushing me . I want to be there for my partner, through thick and thin but it's like my help isn't wanted. I'm so confused :(

Olivia
January, 9 2018 at 12:58 pm

Once loving person * not movie

Lynn
January, 18 2018 at 11:46 am

Hello Olivia, I would love to have an online support group. I am just coming out of a 2 year relationship with someone who we discovered together she had DID. I read somewhere whatever your relationship with someone with DID looked like in the past is what it would always look like. I didn't want to believe it but it is true. And I don't care how mindful one may be having the person you love so much and been so close to say cruel and painful things from out of nowhere after a while there is resentments. And she process information differently. There are a lot of people in there. And yes some want to leave you. Some tolerate you, some love you and some don't like you at all. That is DID. For me the issue is denial. I want her to be with me. I want to love and support her, I want a secure loving relationship with her. More than anything else. I do believe there are a few in there that want the same with me but it's not that easy there are others who are over me and have moved on. And it does hurt. About the time I would exhale and think we are going to be ok someone else would show up who didn't care if I was breathing. It is very confusing and painful. So many different personalities. And she doesn't get to pick who is out. I come read this blog when my feelings have been hurt with her. If this was someone else who treated me this way I wouldn't have stood for it. I have compassion for her being a survivor. I am amazed by her strength and courage. I have so much respect for her and I miss my girlfriend. I am emotionally beat up. Negotiating relationships is tough but doing it with someone who has DID. Well that all depends on who you are talking to.

Sandy
February, 23 2018 at 8:57 pm

When they push you away... They need you more... Love them harder.

Kez
January, 28 2020 at 11:49 am

Hello Olivia I was or maybe still in a relationship with a guy who has DID.We are both christain I have it too.I am self aware and in therapy .We had this amazing connection in 2017.I thought he was my soul mate.I wasnt interested though or more correctly a part wasnt so I told him to meet somebody else repeatedly to which he never did.For months i tried to reject him.We ended up forming a relationship of sorts, but i noticed he had very poor communication skills.What i now think is a child alter & jeckyl & Hyde personality.I believe I have witnessed his core personality or the part i fell in love with, gentle kind & caring.Only problem is I haven't encountered that side of him for months.We were talking about getting married, so I felt only fair i tell him about DID although apparently only mild according to pysciatrist.Its caused me to be out of work for 2 years I sent him a video on it , I guess it triggered him & he, said some deeply hurtful things.Then never contacted me for 7 weeks. I really don't know what encouragement to offer you as im living through this.
Every time I would tell him its over, or he would break up with me.One of our parts would eventually come back.Its been 3 months this time & i havent heard a thing.I did say that I do love him but , i set out some clear boundaries for him to meet before we can go forward.Coming to the UK is one.I have no idea if that will happen. Its down to him really after 2 years .I noticed slight improvements with him seeing that he has some deep issues.He has had a horrible childhood & lives in a War torn part of the world.My advice to you would be take care of yourself FIRST emotionally & mentally.
When my guy has come back in the past, he said he went away because he doesnt want to hurt me.Im using the time whilst hes away to get thearpy and I have also started doing some paid work & running a sewing group.Investing in myself helps take the edge off the pain .I also discovered that I have a 15 year old alter that the guy is in a relationship with, very demanding with an attitude.The child alters or little ones hate him.As they come to the surface, when the guy i was with wants to do sexual things.I was abused as a child & Adults were sexually inappropriate. I know that when i am being treated cold by my kind of partner its his evil other personality.I know it doesnt take away the pain.But helps with pespective.Hope this can be of some use.I wish you wellness

Nicolle
January, 6 2018 at 8:28 am

After reading this I am positive that my boyfriend suffers from this and not alone cuz I suffer with him. sometimes we can talk about it openly and he will describe each one of them to me. But is there any way that they will ever go away or just become one? I love this man endlessly and refuse to give up on him even when he gives up on himself but the emotional abuse I have to endure at times is unbearable. He's even called me whore excuse my language for being intimate with one and then kissing him after although it was just him. He's a beautiful gorgeous good man it's just the one personality that treats me so horribly at times like Im some kind of evil woman trying to put him in prison and puts spells on him and hacks his phone and is just down right evil which I have done none of those things. Im a good woman to him. Even chased after him hundreds of miles away to just be left stranded lost and broken in a city I don't know. Im at a loss right now my heart is broken and Im sad for us because I know deep down he loves and needs me just as I do him but I can't keep putting myself through the pain. Idk how to help him at times cuz he can say some really awful things and I'll lose my temper and become physical with him and i know that's not right either and then the next minute he's the most loving guy ever. Please help me I don't want to leave him even though he tells me to

Erika
November, 30 2017 at 1:19 pm

My husband and I both suffer D.I.D. and complex PTSD. I have, in recent years, assimilated my alter, although the long lasting consequences of this has left me with chronic illness and unable to work. I worked hard at my therapy and c.b.t. and became involved with E.F.T., tapping and homeopathics. My husband, however, suffers dearly to this day with severe depression and at least 2 alters. He felt manipulated by therapists to actually stay in the abusive situation as a child and so does not trust their advice now. He sees my progress and can not relate to any hope of getting better. His hopelessness is triggering more and more switches and more intense emotional episodes from us both. I don't know any one else that has dealt with what we have and even though I am fairly educated, I feel lost. Its like he doesnt want help. His alters either hate me or just want me gone. There are times I wonder if its even worth it. He was never understanding of my painful altered states and would verbally abuse me because it caused him to feel stress & alter. We are like fire & gasoline when altered but when ourselves, man....ive never felt a love like this. I don't consider myself a fool to stay in a (half) broken relationship, but I also refuse to abandon a beautiful human being that no one has ever treated kindly.

J
November, 28 2017 at 10:59 am

Glad to have found this . I don't know that my boyfriend has extreme DID but he does dissociate. It seems like sometimes he's a completely different person. One who sees me as just a friend. Others, he's loving and everything. I won't ever leave though.

A
November, 11 2017 at 6:05 am

My boyfriend has DID and I found that the best way to cope and handle things is to realize that him and his alters are all part of the same system. They are all different but part of each other. I love my boyfriend but have also found ways to get along with some of the alters. Although a lot of the other alters actually don’t like me and even despise me, it is understandable. As some of the ones here have said, the more aggressive alters tend to see me as the enemy and whatever I say is bad. But I calmly try to explain to them that that is not what I said or try to explain my side even if at times they refuse to listen.
Remember that a lot of the alters have trust issues, and it is helpful to think of it as, they see us as a threat because they think we have a hidden dangerous agenda against them. As long as you keep showing them that you are there to care and won’t leave them (much like the previous people in their lives have) then at some point, they may lessen their anger or hatred of you. It can be hard but I’ve managed to be able to speak properly with some of the alters that normally hate a lot of do not like anyone at all. It will take a long time AND a lot of effort. If you really love the person though, you will keep trying. It’s all for THEM. It shouldn’t be just for one alter or two. It should be for all. That’s very important from my experience.

craiginshadow
November, 5 2017 at 8:33 pm

I recently entered a relationship with a girl and within months she told me of her DID. Ihl have encountered Brittany (host), Kitty (her teenage indifference/tomboy), Alexia (small and meek), Stacy (pure darkness and joy at her own pain).....there are more. My biggest fear is Britrany will disappear and I am left alone. She has managed to connect a few of these alters and they work together, except or Stacy. This feels all too much for me but...I want to do it for Brittany. I love her. I need support in this. Thank you.

S
November, 13 2017 at 4:19 am

Good luck with the relationship. Try to get along with all the alters if possible. Try to keep Stacy away from self harm by distracting her or offering to do other things with her if she lets you. :)

Hannah
November, 2 2017 at 9:39 am

My ex husband has DID. It took me 10 years to realize that beneath his quirks there was some serious darkness. I'm relieved to say that 6 years after his breakdown - remembering his buried trauma - I have managed to establish firm boundaries to keep him from overly disrupting my life and from wreaking havoc in our children's lives. As far as I know, he continues to work on healing his own life and I have moved on with mine.
Everyone will have their own path to follow but my experience has taught me that you cannot have a healthy relationship with someone with DID. A way to honour the love you have for them is to wish them well on their own healing journey, then to maintain firm boundaries to keep them from causing continual harm to your life.

Ariana
October, 18 2017 at 3:39 am

Thanks you so much for this because my fiance acts the same way. I've known about her DID since the beginning but didn't know how much it would effect our relationship. It's been a countless cycle of Jane (the only one capable of love) loving me endlessly , then nick (the host) acting cold and indifferent and Samuel ( the hatred/motivation/protection) desperately trying to hurt me and push me away because he sees me as a weakness. I love both Jane, nick and Samuel but only Jane is capable of loving me the way I love them.But it's been so hard staying because of how much I'm pushed away. But I realized I love her way too much to let her go.

Echo
October, 8 2017 at 7:09 am

I'm so glad to have found this website. I found out that my husband is DID approximately one year after we were married. It first became evident something was wrong a few months before the wedding. I tried so hard to 'behave' and not trigger the alter before I realized that no matter what I did or said, I would always be the enemy. He literally hears words come from my mouth I haven't spoken and if I don't speak at all, that takes on a meaning I cannot imagine. I love him, and he's a good man. However, only one of his alters loves me and the others find me either mildly annoying or downright despicable. I am the scapegoat for every loathsome or hateful thought and he projects all his anger and hatred onto me. The loneliness and isolate are sometimes brutal to bear, but I committed to him and I just try to be kinder to myself during the long periods. The worst part is not knowing who he really is...who is the host, and not knowing if the man I love so deeply, my 'snow' will come back.

sinfrea
October, 18 2017 at 11:41 pm

Just wanted to say that PRECISELY describes my experience with my now ex. I wish you strength. But be prepared that one day, the one that loves you might 'go' and never come back. I'm still struggle within an extended grieving process because it's like he 'died'... but... he's still physically alive. However, the one who for a long time seemed to be his 'main', or 'ANP', the one I had a relationship and shared memories with, disappeared. The current ANP only has some basic working memory of our time and cannot recall details, emotions, and many significant events. It's so very sad. He still scapegoats me and as you put it.."hears words come from my mouth I haven't spoken" to cope with stresses in his life, or actions/decisions/fears he cannot admit to himself, and then use those as a rational for hostility. I cannot escape dealing with that as we share custody of 2 small children. I know exactly what you experience - you're not alone. Hugs.

S
November, 11 2017 at 6:15 am

It’s good to note that the ones who use you as a scapegoat are probably the aggressive or protectors who doesn’t want anyone to come close. It may be a long shot but try to help those alters into taking out that anger on something else or maybe even someone else (but not physically of course, just try to get them to talk about who they actually really hate). I found it helpful when talking to the aggressive alters that being on their side when they’re angry and kind of encouraging their anger and saying it makes sense helps. Don’t be shy when you’re facing the angry ones, but don’t fight them either.
As for who he really is.. well that’s the thing. They’re all part of each other. If you only love or can get along with only one alter, then it will become very difficult. They’re a system, and even if they heal from the DID, they will become one and that one won’t be your “snow” for sure.