Introduction to Elizabeth Brico, Author of ‘Trauma! A PTSD Blog’

August 16, 2017 Elizabeth Brico

Elizabeth Brico, author of "Trauma! A PTSD Blog" talks about her experience with PTSD and the role of support and community in recovery.Hi, my name is Elizabeth Brico and I’m the new author of Trauma! A PTSD Blog. You can also call me Betty if you prefer. I've been diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) for almost a decade. I developed it in response to domestic violence, which occurred when I was a teenager. HealthyPlace has been a long time refuge for me. I've enjoyed reading the various blogs and articles, especially those pertaining to PTSD. You can imagine, then, that I'm thrilled to be joining the team as one of the authors of Trauma! A PTSD Blog.

Dealing with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

PTSD is a complex disorder. Although new studies are discovering that some people may have a biological propensity for it, PTSD is, essentially, a disorder that is developed. Nobody is born traumatized. And, not everyone who experiences trauma ends up with PTSD. Though there is still much to be learned, the scientific community agrees that PTSD results from a combination of traumatic experience and poor support afterward. I find that information pretty interesting because it means that, even if something really bad happens, when people get proper support they don't always have to be traumatized for the rest of their lives.

Supporting Someone After Trauma

Everyone's story is unique, but for me and many people I know who have PTSD, the reason we didn't have the support we needed wasn't because nobody cared about us. The people in our lives just didn’t understand what we needed. When my abuse happened, I was really young, which meant most of my friends were young, too. My family was, justifiably, horrified. All of these people cared, but nobody knew what to do, including me. I had no idea how to ask for help, or how to help myself. Honestly, I'm still figuring that out. So that's a big part of my journey I want to share here: figuring out how those of us living in the aftermath of trauma can support ourselves, and also how we can help the people in our lives to better support us.

Parenting with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

Elizabeth Brico, author of "Trauma! A PTSD Blog" talks about her experience with PTSD and the role of support and community in recovery.Another important thing about me that I should tell you is that I am a mama. I have three kids, two of whom live with my husband and I full time. Our two girls are both toddlers. My home can get pretty hectic. Having PTSD is hard, and being a parent is hard. When you combine the two, life can feel downright impossible, at times. A lot of what I do each day is figuring out how to maintain my sense of self, while providing a safe environment in which my family can thrive.

Mindfulness, exercise, and writing are the main tools I use to keep myself balanced. I spend at least a few minutes each day doing all three. Before identifying those healthy tools, I was doing a lot of really unhealthy coping – the kind that alleviated my symptoms for a moment but ultimately made my life worse. I'm still learning and still healing, but I'm doing better today than at any other point in the last 10 years. For that, I am grateful.

Recognizing the Role of Community in PTSD Healing

Although posttraumatic stress disorder is estimated to occur in about 7%-8% of the population, it is a disorder marked by isolation. It is common for those of us with PTSD to feel as though we don't belong, even within the communities where we spend our time most. Sharing our experiences and communicating with one another is extremely important. I hope to use my time writing at HealthyPlace demonstrating that, if you're living with PTSD, you are not alone. You are worthy, your experience deserves a voice, and you deserve for that voice to be heard.

Brico, E. (2017, August 16). Introduction to Elizabeth Brico, Author of ‘Trauma! A PTSD Blog’, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, June 20 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/traumaptsdblog/2017/08/introduction-to-elizabeth-brico

Author: Elizabeth Brico

Find Elizabeth on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, her author page, and her blog.

Catherine Donaldson
December, 16 2018 at 12:16 pm
Also, regarding the comment by the woman who shared abuse from childhood. You have recognized the precious and wonderful resilience inherent in faith. It cuts across all limitations and has a great effect on healing from the heartbreaking events that were horrible and beyond your control in childhood. Thank you for sharing.
Catherine Donaldson
December, 16 2018 at 12:09 pm
Elizabeth, nice article on CBD. I’m a certified Medical Review Officer (MRO) and went through fairly extensive training from one of the National certification programs a couple years ago. You need to be a physician to go through the training. MROS receive urine drug testing results From federally mandated drug testing programs, as well as other testing programs such as pre-employment, post-accident and the like. I wanted to let you know that for someone in a job or applying for a job covered by mandatory federal drug testing, such as a truck driver or pilot, a test positive for THCA (the monitored metabolite for cannabis) above the cutoff is a positive test. Since cannabis is a Schedule I drug, understanding that the FDA has approved a cannavis extract for intractable seizures in children, any THC above the cutoff is positive. The only legal and legitimate reason would be that someone is a child with intractable seizures. The source of the THC is a moot point, whether it be hemp or cannabis. Oils distilled from hemp would consist of many plants, so even if a batch had tested low for THC, not every bud in that batch would have been screened. Given natural variability, one would have to expect a wide variation in THC levels. It goes without saying that any cannabis-derived CBD product would be expected to have a higher concentration of THC and higher risk for detection. For this reason I would advise caution in talking about risk of having THC in the urine, because people can lose a career for having too much THC in a urine drug test, regardless of the source,, and variability in THC levels is going to be a wide range for any natural product. Thank you for the article, though, it was well done, but no one apparently told you that federally mandated testing guidelines for MROs do not differentiate the source of the THC.
steve
June, 25 2018 at 6:50 am
I was diagnosed with severe complex ptsd from child abuse and have flashbacks everyday n spend everyday alone. Its been 50 years and not getting better. I rely on Roman 8:18 The sufferings of this world wont compare to the glory to be revealed in us. Amen
Paula
September, 10 2017 at 3:14 am
I've just been diagnosed with PTSD a year ago after suffering for 29 years. I'm undergoing emdr and cbt but feel I'm only getting worse. My circle of friends has become small ( my choice) and I feel like I really cannot do much longer. Struggling isn't the word! I'm considering another medication yet again as nothing so far has helped. Any advice please? ?

September, 11 2017 at 12:38 pm
Hey Paula. Thank you for your comment. I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time with PTSD. It can be a devastating disorder to live with. I'm not a medical or psychiatric professional, simply a peer, so please take what I say as such, but I think that the best thing you can do to help yourself is to persevere. You may have been living with this for a long time, but being diagnosed changes things. It allows you to name your struggles, which is a sort of power, and allows you to find tools to help combat it. Maybe a new medication is a good idea. Another is to pursue a therapist who clicks with you, and that can sometimes mean going through a couple. There are lot of different practices out there-talk therapy, CBT, DBT, mindfulness, etc...so if one or two things haven't worked for you, that doesn't mean there isn't something that will. It's really hard work, but it is possible to feel better eventually. And keep reaching out to people!! That's a great thing to do for yourself <3
Elliot
August, 19 2017 at 12:27 pm
I find it difficult to find support--the church choir has my closest friends--they don't care what I have and love me

August, 20 2017 at 7:58 am
I feel you Elliot. It is really, really hard to find support, especially with all of the misinformation and stigma surrounding PTSD and other disorders. I"m happy for you that you have found solace and support in your church choir! That's wonderful! It's really important to have people in your life who love you without judgment. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment :)