Living with Narcissism - Dealing with a Narcissist
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Narcissism and the Narcissist
- "Living with Narcissism, Dealing with a Narcissist" On HealthyPlace TV
- Sexual Addiction
You many think I'm exaggerating when I say we receive nearly a hundred emails every month from HealthyPlace visitors who, in one way or another, feel they've been victimized by a narcissist -- but I'm not. Take, for example, Cassie:
"Is there anyone out there who can tell me to be strong - tell me how to terminate a destructive relationship with a Narcissist? I have been a captive victim in an affair for 3 years and every time there has been an 'upset,' I've been blamed for being neurotic, untrusting, unloving, etc. In desperation, three days ago I typed 'emotional abuse' into my computer and your website came up.
Then we have Theresa:
"I have lived with the narcissist for 12 years. I had no idea that these people even existed. He pushed his way into my life. We ended up sharing my home together. I ended up refinancing the mortgage with him and took all his debt with me. It has been a full year since the person was told to leave. I still have my home. I was able to regain my self-esteem and my life. However, I still have too much anger for him afer he abused me for those 12 years. He left me helpless but made sure that I was reminded of him every day. His parting gifts were a huge mortgage payment and leaving behind all his belongings with me as a way to keep control."
Interestingly, there's a common thread to many of the emails, most victims never saw it coming. So you may want to know how to recognize a narcissist.
Sam Vaknin understands narcissism like few other people. Not only has he studied the subject extensively, he is admittedly a narcissist himself. He'll be discussing the impact narcissism has had on his life, why some people are attracted to narcissists and how, eventually, they may suck the life blood out of you - on Tuesday's HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show.
Join us Tuesday, July 28. This week only, the show starts at 10a PT, 12 noon CT, 1p ET and airs live on our website. Sam Vaknin will be taking your questions during the live show.
- TV Show Blog with this week's show info
- Narcissism and Narcissistic Personality Disorder (Dr. Croft's blog post)
In the second half of the show, you get to ask HealthyPlace.com Medical Director, Dr. Harry Croft, your personal mental health questions.
continue story below
Coming in August on the HealthyPlace TV Show
- My Partner Has Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Stress and Rewards of Being an Alzheimer's Caregiver
- Suicidality and Psychiatric Medications
If you would like to be a guest on the show or share you personal story in writing or via video, please write us at: producer AT healthyplace.com
Click here for a list of previous HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Shows.
More Information on Narcissism and NPD
- Signs, Symptoms, Causes of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Diagnosis and Treatment of NPD
- What's It Like Being a Narcissist?
Take a look at Sam Vaknin's extensive website on narcissism: Maligant Self Love - Narcissism Revisisted.
If you didn't have an opportunity to watch last week's HealthyPlace TV Show on the Pain of Sexual Addiction, I want to encourage you to do so.
Our guest, Jonathan Daugherty, was very forthright about his struggle with sexual addiction. There are two things that stood out about the interview:
- At the height of his addiction, he was having affairs and visiting prostitutes. When he confessed to his wife, she left him. Jonathan admitted he was shocked and her leaving never crossed his mind.
- Even though he's been through treatment for sexual addiction, he has several people who check in on him, his whereabouts and activities every day.
Watch the video: "Sexual Addiction" by clicking the "on-demand" button on the player.
Additional Information on Sexual Addiction:
- What is Sexual Addiction - Sexual Compulsion?
- Symptoms of Sexual Addiction
- Causes of Sexual Addiction
- Treatment of Sexual Addiction
- Pornography Addiction
- The Consequences of Pornography
- Diagnosing and Treating Pornography Addiction
- Information for Partners of Sexual Addicts
- Sexual Addiction Screening Test for Men
- Sexual Addiction Screening Test for Women
- Addicted to Porn Self-Test
Staff, H. (2009, July 27). Living with Narcissism - Dealing with a Narcissist, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, August 19 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/living-with-narcissism-dealing-with-a-narcissist