Berating and Ridiculing A Person Wounds Their Soul
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Why Words Make A Difference
- Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
- HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- Suicide in My Family on HealthyPlace TV
- Hiring Military Vets with Combat PTSD
- Coaching Restraint To The Rule Enforcing Child
- Latest Mental Health News
Why Words Make A Difference
Some people, children and adults, can be so cruel -- some without realizing the impact their words will have.
I'm watching a video of auditions on the show "Britain's Got Talent." There's a 17 year old boy and his 16 year old female singing partner standing on the stage. The girl is doing all the talking, when Simon Cowell says to the boy: "you don't talk very much." And then they cut away to the back story.
The boy, who is obese, shares that when he was growing up, everybody ridiculed him for being fat...to the point where he just crawled into a shell. It's obvious that he's suffered terribly from that experience. It's affected who he is and how he feels about himself.
That's the sad part. We are reminded of the lasting impact of cruelty; especially when it occurs in childhood. The beautiful part is hearing what the girl has to say. When I heard her words and the conviction behind them, it reminded me that there are a lot of good people in the world.
After watching the video, feel free to add your thoughts and comments about this story on our Facebook page.
- How to Help Your Son Deal with Mean Boys
- Bullies and Bullying
- Leaving an Abusive Relationship
- Emotionally Abused Women
- How to Open Up and Reveal Yourself to Others
Share our Stories
At the top and bottom of all our stories, you'll find social share buttons for Facebook, Google+, Twitter and other social sites. If you find a particular story, video, psychological test or other HealthyPlace feature helpful, there's a good chance others in need will too. Please share.
We also get many inquiries about our linking policy. If you have a website or blog, you can link to any page on the HealthyPlace website without asking us beforehand.
continue story below
Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
Here are the top 3 mental health articles HealthyPlace Facebook fans are recommending you read:
- Lack of Understanding of Mental Illness
- Resisting Anxiety In Restaurants
- Free Online Psychological Tests
If you're not already, I hope you'll join us/like us on Facebook too. There are a lot of wonderful, supportive people there.
Mental Health Experiences
Share your thoughts/experiences with any mental health subject, or respond to other people's audio posts, by calling our toll-free number (1-888-883-8045).
You can listen to what other people are saying by clicking on the gray title bars inside the widgets located on the "Sharing Your Mental Health Experiences" homepage, the HealthyPlace homepage, and the HealthyPlace Support Network homepage.
If you have any questions, write us at: info AT healthyplace.com
From HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
Your comments and observations are welcomed.
- Fear of Anxiety: Rational vs. Irrational Fears (Anxiety-Schmanxiety Blog)
- To Hide or Not to Hide Self-Harm Scars (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- Medicating Mental Illness: Addictive Behavior (Recovering From Mental Illness Blog)
- Mental Health Medications: Why Won’t My Relative Take Them? (Mental Illness in the Family Blog)
- The Great Deceiver (Creative Schizophrenia Blog)
- I Want to Tell Her About The Abuse (Verbal Abuse and Relationships Blog)
- Discovering I Have Curves: How Anorexia Recovery is Changing Me (Surviving ED Blog)
- Mourning the Loss of a Negative Coping Skill (More Than Borderline Blog)
- Rise Of Mental Health Clubs and Metaphysical Fitness Centers (Funny in the Head: A Mental Health Humor Blog)
- Should People With Mental Illness Have Children? (Life with Bob: A Parenting Blog)
- Prescription Drug Abuse and Addiction Epidemic (Debunking Addiction Blog)
- Siblings and ADHD (Living with Adult ADHD Blog)
- Starting New Antidepressant Can Make Depression Worse Before It Gets Better (Coping with Depression Blog)
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
Suicide in My Family on HealthyPlace TV
Heather McCready is a talented folk singer, song writer, and mental health advocate with a history of suicide in her family. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder and having gone through several severe depressions, Heather is doing everything she can to keep suicidal thoughts and ideations from going any further. Watch Suicide in My Family.
Hiring Military Vets with Combat PTSD
There's a push underway by American corporations to reach out and hire military veterans returning from the Middle East. HealthyPlace Medical Director and author of "I Always Sit With My Back To The Wall," Dr. Harry Croft, says there are issues these vets may be facing that corporate managers aren't familiar with but will need to accommodate. Watch this video on hiring military veterans with combat PTSD. There's also information that will be helpful to vets in the workplace.
Coaching Restraint To The Rule Enforcing Child
Does this sound familiar? There are kids who not only follow the rules to a "T," but they're also constantly enforcing those rules on siblings, friends and classmates. That behavior ends up ruining relationships.
The Parenting Coach, Dr. Steven Richfield, has some ideas on how you can help your rule enforcing child.
Latest Mental Health News
These stories and more are featured on our mental health news page:
- Psychologist Alerted Penn State’s Police to Sandusky in 1998, NBC Says
- The Righteous Mind
- Why People Remember Negative Events More Than Positive Ones
- Heroic Fantasies: Why We Want to Save People and Be Saved
- Whoops! The Biggest Mistake of My Career
- Females On Parole And Mental Illness Risk
- Stroke Risk Increased in Asian Schizophrenia Patients
That's it for now. If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week, circle HealthyPlace on Google+, follow HealthyPlace on Twitter or become a fan of HealthyPlace on Facebook.
Community Partner Team
HealthyPlace.com - America's Mental Health Channel
"When you're at HealthyPlace.com, you're never alone."
gkoplin (2012, March 29). Berating and Ridiculing A Person Wounds Their Soul, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, March 22 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/berating-and-ridiculing-a-person-wounds-their-soul