Time Anxiety: The Feeling That 'There's Never Enough Time!'

February 22, 2018 Tanya J. Peterson, MS, NCC

Time anxiety, or the idea that there's never enough time, can be suffocating and paralyzing. Discover how time anxiety causes us to worry or panic at HealthyPlace. Discover a plan to reduce time anxiety once and for all.

How often do you feel anxiety over time? Do you feel pressured and rushed, anxious because there’s never enough time or because time seems to be flying by too quickly? Time and anxiety are cruel partners, getting in your head and causing worry, even panic. William Penn said it well: “Time is what we want most, but what we use worst.” We want extra time, and when we feel it slipping, we become anxious. The notion that we’re not spending our time well can haunt us, plague us with guilt and cause more anxiety. Even if you’re strapped for time, read on for helpful information.

The Types of Time and Time Anxiety

We use time to measure things, but the numbers don’t remain objective. We assign meaning and emotion to them. Seconds, minutes, hours . . . centuries, millennia . . . eons. The human capacity for measuring time is incredible, but it comes at a price. Time causes deep-seated anxiety.

Different types of time impact anxiety and anxiety disorders.

Daily time. This is the epitome of “there’s never enough time.” It creates a sense of being rushed and makes us feel overwhelmed. We feel pressure, stress and anxiety.

Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it. No idleness, no laziness, no procrastination: Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today. -Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield

Herein lies the pressure and stress that cause anxiety. Just reading this take on time might make you feel panicky, like an anxiety attack is imminent.

Tomorrow time. What-ifs, thoughts about what might happen in the future, provoke anxiety and worry. What will tomorrow bring? What if what I do today isn’t enough? What if something bad happens? What if I fail? What if there’s an accident? What if…

Frequently, tomorrow time is intertwined with yesterday time. We worry about what will happen tomorrow because of anxieties and guilt over what we think we should have (or should not have) done or said.

The time of our past and time of our future cause angst and anxiety.

The what-if’s and the should-haves will eat your brain. -John O’Callaghan

Existential time. Existential anxiety is a global, all-encompassing anxiety that we all experience simply because we exist. Time can create a suffocating sense of panic when it comes to our very life or, perhaps more accurately, the end of said life.

Lost time is never found again. -Ben Franklin

The sense of lost time, of time slipping away never to return as we race ahead, nonstop contributes to anxiety, fear, and even panic.

Alleviating Time Anxiety: From Panic to Peace

The passage of time can indeed cause anxiety. Time feels out of our control, and the human mind doesn’t like that. Shifting our perspective and choosing our actions with intention can return your sense of control over your own life. With this return, anxiety shrinks.

Reducing time anxiety begins with some truths.

• Time exists
  • We can’t change time.
  • It will move forward, and so will we.

Accepting these truths rather than struggling against them is an important part of quelling anxiety. When we accept these, we can let go and move forward.

Next, implement some strategies.

• Visualize your happiness, and define what “time well spent” means to you in all areas of your life. Be thorough, and include the who, what, where, when, why, and how Never mind time or the lack of it. Just picture your quality life.
  • Now, make room for these (don’t worry about making time—instead, create space). Where will you incorporate these into your life? Time will do its thing. You make the space in your life.

Anxiety happens when we’re so caught up in time and tasks that we forget ourselves, our values, our visions, and our who-what-where-when-why-how. Shift your focus onto these, and notice time anxiety fade. The idea that there’s never enough time will no longer cause crushing anxiety.

If we take care of the moments, the years will take care of themselves. Maria Edgeworth

Tags: time anxiety

NCC, T. (2018, February 22). Time Anxiety: The Feeling That 'There's Never Enough Time!', HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, September 22 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/anxiety-schmanxiety/2018/02/theres-never-enough-time-and-that-causes-anxiety

Author: Tanya J. Peterson, MS, NCC

Tanya J. Peterson is the author of The Mindfulness Journal for Anxiety, The Mindfulness Workbook for Anxiety, Break Free: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in 3 steps, and five critically-acclaimed, award-winning novels about mental health challenges. She speaks nationally about mental health, and she has a curriculum for middle and high schools. Find her on her website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Carol Stang
August, 5 2019 at 1:52 am
Ever since I was young I had so much difficulty with getting to places on time. I found trying to organize a plan so hard that I didn’t even attempt to plan and would just live in the moment until 5 min before I was suppose to leave - waiting I guess for the Adrenalin to kick in so I could get motivated. Im 53 and looking back over my life it’s caused a lot of stress. I was not one to worry or have anxiety about time because of my ADD and hyper focus. Was always consumed in the moment. Horrible with transitions. It wasn’t laziness as I was usually in the middle of a project. It was hell when the 11th hour came and I screamed and yelled racing through traffic. My 35 year old daughter claims she has PTSD for various reasons - ones that weren’t caused by anything I did. Thinking how much stress I created for her during her childhood with rushing daily I’m thinking it most likely contributed. I still do this but others aren’t involved nearly as often. Not sure why I’m like this other than I find transitions so hard.
August, 6 2019 at 4:40 pm
Hi Carol,
Please know that you most likely did not cause or even contribute to your daughter's PTSD. PTSD is a response to trauma, and having a parent who hates schedules and transitions is not traumatic. It might have been stressful at times, but it doesn't qualify for trauma. Listen to your daughter! :) You are in an excellent position: you have great insight into yourself and your actions regarding ADD, transitions, scheduling, and time. Looking back on the past with regret will bog you down and won't change anything. But with the insights you have, you can decide what you want to do right now and going forward. It sounds like your last-minute rushing isn't really bothering anyone, so if it isn't disrupting your life, you could let it be. Or, if you feel that it is making your life too difficult, you can decide to make some changes. This can be done in your way and on your own timeline.
Sarah North
March, 7 2019 at 11:56 am
I really struggle with this type of anxiety. It's awful when all you can do is plan plan plan and get cranky the minute your planned timetable doesn't pan out. It's so bad that even music in the mornings 'interrupts' my thought process and makes me irritable. I lost my God daughter when she was 4 and a half and then my dad when he was 60 and this has definitely been the trigger. I hope it eventually lessens and I'm going to try some of these mindful tips
March, 9 2019 at 2:41 pm
Hi Sarah,
Time anxiety frustrates me as well. I'm sorry to read of your losses. Losing loved ones can definitely trigger anxiety, irritability, and so much more. If there is a grief support group in your community, you might consider trying that. Support groups are safe places to be with others who are experiencing something similar. Some members just want to listen, others share experiences. Groups like this have been shown to be helpful and effective. If your community has a NAMI resource center, you can check with them to see if they know of grief groups in your area. (Grief groups aren't usually a part of NAMI, but each community is unique so some might.) If you don't have a NAMI, check your library for pamphlets, posters, and flyers. Community centers and therapy offices usually have resources/information, too. You can also check MeetUp .com for grief and loss group listings. If you use a service like MeetUp, it might be a good idea to investigate what you find before attending. As you work through your losses, it's likely that your anxiety will significantly decrease and be much less bothersome.
Aireen
August, 15 2018 at 11:06 am
This is so great! I know...I'm pretty sure that I am feeling this stuff right now...My gosh.. this is so true! Thanks!
August, 17 2018 at 7:52 pm
Hi Aireen,
I just love having "my gosh!" moments like you captured in your comment. :) I'm glad you found something relatable and hopefully know that you're not the only one experiencing this type of anxiety.
Melissa
June, 26 2018 at 2:50 am
This brings light. My anxiety is driven by time. From the time awake, my brain calculates my time. So I end up trying to follow this strict schedule, when things interrupt my anxiety is high, and my first response, is to be irritated and frustrated, because my plansare not going how I planned. It makes sense because I schedule time to do things with my children, andinstead of enjoying it, I am determiningwhen we shouldbe doing the next event. When the reality, Ishould be enjoying what we are doing. It seems easy to anyone, but, I need to recognize this and just go with the moment. Thank you!
June, 30 2018 at 10:01 am
Hi Melissa,
I'm glad this was helpful! I'll add this that will hopefully help, too: it can seem easy (some people make it look effortless, but who knows what's going on for them in their head!), but it definitely isn't easy, at least not at first. Acceptance and mindfulness are effective, but because they're a shift in perspective rather than a fix applied to symptoms, they can take time and persistence. So be kind to yourself and just keep coming back to them gently rather than forcing them. Time anxiety makes the process feel more urgent. So accept that to and let yourself learn to be in the moment!
Nishant
June, 10 2018 at 11:28 am
Thank you so much! I feel like someone finally understands what I've been going through for so long. I'm almost crying. Just so grateful for this article.
Lee
February, 22 2018 at 4:20 pm
Awesome read for sure. I struggle with this myself and will definitely be implementing the strategy mentioned above; visualizing what time well spent to me means.

February, 23 2018 at 11:05 am
Hi Lee,
I'm glad you found this helpful. Thank you for your feedback. Time anxiety can be brutal, but it doesn't have to crush us!