9 Places to Find Anxiety Relief Whenever You Need It
Anxiety relief is within your reach whenever you need it. When you're living with worry, fear, panic, dread, racing thoughts, and roiling emotions, it doesn't seem like relief from anxiety symptoms is in sight. That's because it clouds perceptions, makes itself seem real and true, and obscures things that could reduce its strength. Once you know where to look, though, you'll notice that opportunities for anxiety relief are almost everywhere. To get you started on your quest to reduce anxiety, here are nine places you can find anxiety relief.
9 Places to Find Anxiety Relief Any Time You Need It
- Your bedroom is a place to induce a deep sense of calm and serenity. Upon waking in the morning or just before bed, take multiple slow, deep breaths. Repeat a mantra such as, "I inhale calm, I exhale joy." This is a meditation that will calm your mind to start your day or your night off well.
- Anywhere in your house that has a little bit of space is good for stretching. Do simple, unstructured stretches or poses from a discipline like yoga. Stretching relieves muscle tension and lowers anxiety.
- Your kitchen, well-stocked, contains healthy foods that beat anxiety. Regularly eating foods that help anxiety and avoiding those that increase anxiety has a positive impact immediately and long-term.
- Your car offers the opportunity to hone inner calm and patience. Either turn off the music or play something low-key and pleasant (but not so soothing that it lulls you to sleep). As you drive, practice deep breathing, repeat an affirmation (like "I am patient and have no need to control traffic") and enjoy the experience of peace.
- The sidewalk, any sidewalk, offers a great opportunity to reduce anxiety. Taking a quick walk can work off stress and improve blood flow in the brain. You can turn it into a mindfulness walk by focusing your attention on what you see, hear, smell, and feel. This reduces worries and other anxious thoughts.
- At work you can create opportunities to lower your anxiety a notch or two. This may seem counterintuitive because work is often associated with stress. Anywhere you are at work and no matter what you're doing, you can practice acceptance and letting go. Accepting what can't change right now frees you to let go of struggles against it. You can concentrate on what you're doing in the present moment rather than experiencing anxiety run away with your thoughts and emotions.
- Your purse, backpack, wallet, pocket, etc. contain small objects that you can use as comfort objects. Hold the object and concentrate on its weight and texture. Move it in your hand. Let your attention rest on the object rather than on anxiety.
- Your desk, counter, or other location with paper and a pen offers quick anxiety relief. Doodle, scribble fiercely in frustration, draw pictures, or write a positive, encouraging note to yourself.
- The place where your computer, tablet, or phone rests is a portal to the land of less anxiety. Go online and watch short videos that make you laugh, listen to a funny audiobook, or read part of a lighthearted eBook. Alternately, find adorable images. Laughter and enjoyable images reduce stress and anxiety.
May these locations inspire ideas of your own. Wherever you are, you can do something for anxiety relief.
Peterson, T. (2019, November 7). 9 Places to Find Anxiety Relief Whenever You Need It , HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, August 18 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/anxiety-schmanxiety/2019/11/9-places-to-find-anxiety-relief-whenever-you-need-it
Author: Tanya J. Peterson, MS, NCC, DAIS
I love this read! It is so wonderful to have quick little tools like these to make ourselves feel empowered and equipped when it comes to working with our anxiety. Knowing that we can always find a place to pause, and find peace is soothing in itself.
I have found that location is often forgotten when it comes to anxiety relief tools. Or it's used, but it's a special place that one must go to. Yet we're always someplace (and so is anxiety). We can meet it and beat it right where we are, now!