Male Survivor of Rape Speaks Out
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- The Courage It Takes To Speak Out
- Share Your Mental Health Experience
- HealthyPlace Wins 2 eHealthcare Leadership Awards
- "Male Rape Survivor Speaks Out" On HealthyPlace TV
- "Bright Side of Bipolar Disorder" on HealthyPlace Radio
- From HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
This week's HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show is one of the most powerful interviews I have watched. For several days, I couldn't put my finger on exactly why that was. Then it struck me. I was amazed by our guest's courage.
For 35 years, Keith Smith kept the secret of his rape from all but a few. He lived with recurring nightmares, fears, and the shame that comes along with a horrible thing like rape.
Over recent time, Keith decided to unveil his secret. "It's time to speak out to raise public awareness of male sexual assault, to let other survivors know that they're not alone and to help survivors of rape and violent crime understand that the emotion, fear and memories that may still haunt them are not uncommon to those of us who have shared a similar experience."
I hope you'll watch this show. I found there was something very haunting about the power of Keith's message and how he came to it. See if you feel the same way.
Mental Health Experiences
Share your thoughts/experiences on "having the courage to speak out" or any mental health subject, or respond to other people's audio posts, by calling our toll-free number (1-888-883-8045).
You can listen to what other people are saying by clicking on the gray title bars inside the widgets located on the "Sharing Your Mental Health Experiences" homepage, the HealthyPlace homepage, and the HealthyPlace Support Network homepage.
If you have any questions, write us at: info AT healthyplace.com
HealthyPlace Wins 2 eHealthcare Leadership Awards
What a great way to wrap up the year! We were notified that HealthyPlace received top honors at the eHealthcare Leadership Awards: the Gold Award for Best Care/Disease Management Site and the Platinum Award for Best Health/Healthcare Content. Both were in the Consumer Disease-Focused Site category.
This comes on top of HealthyPlace winning 3 Web Health Awards earlier in the month.
"Male Rape Survivor Speaks Out" On HealthyPlace TV
At age 14, Keith Smith was abducted, beaten and raped by a stranger. For over three decades, he kept quiet about it. Keith shares the torment he's lived with and why he's coming out on this week's HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show. (TV Show blog)
continue story below
Coming in December on the HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show
- Staying Sober Through the Holidays
- Surviving Suicide: One Person's Story
- Sexual Addiction
If you would like to be a guest on the show or share your personal story in writing or via video, please write us at: producer AT healthyplace.com
For all previous HealthyPlace Mental Health TV archived shows.
"Bright Side of Bipolar Disorder" on HealthyPlace Radio
For Richard Jarzynka, author of "Blessed with Bipolar," life hasn't always been easy, but he's managed to harness what he sees as the "positive" parts of bipolar disorder and use them to his advantage. Listen as Richard discusses that on the HealthyPlace Mental Health Radio Show.
From HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
Your comments and observations are welcomed.
- Bipolar Treatment Failures Feel Like Personal Failures (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- Help, the Holidays are Here Already! Prepare for Stress, and Turkey (Treating Anxiety Blog)
- "Mentally Ill" Characters Offer Unlikely Support (Life with Bob: A Parenting Blog)
- Get the Most Out of Dissociative Identity Disorder Support (Dissociative Living blog)
- The Art of Assertiveness: Learning to Say "No" (The Unlocked Life Blog)
- Surviving (and Thriving) During the Holidays With An Eating Disorder (Surviving ED Blog)
- Refusing to Let Life Kill The Dream You Dreamed (More Than Borderline blog)
- Sleep Problems and Bipolar Disorder or Depression (Work and Bipolar or Depression blog)
- Circadian Rhythm and Chronotherapy - New Bipolar/Depression Therapy?
- Holiday Survival Guide for Parents of Mentally Ill Children
- Escape Anxiety: Get Intimate!
- Why PTSD Symptoms Flare Up in Unlikely Places
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week,
We know it's the start of the holiday season and all of us here at HealthyPlace wish you a peaceful one.
Staff, H. (2010, November 24). Male Survivor of Rape Speaks Out, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2021, February 27 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/male-survivor-of-rape-speaks-out