Recovering From Narcissistic Abuse Without Validation

October 15, 2015 Guest Author

One of the tragedies of narcissistic abuse is that victims never get the validation so desperately wanted from their abuser(s), to help them recover from narcissistic abuse.

When a Healthy Person Hurts Someone

When healthy-minded people hurt someone, whether deliberate or not, or whether they agree with an alternate account of what happened or not, it is their validation of the other person’s perspective that allows the other person to recover. And it is that validation that allows the relationship to repair.

When a Narcissist Abuses Others

That never happens with narcissistic abuse. Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), by nature, blinds the abusers to their responsibility for the devastation they cause. When confronted with the casualties of their behavior, they always believe that they are the ones being victimized.

Recovering from narcissistic abuse is tough and people have to do with without validation of their feelings. Find out how to recover from narcissistic abuse.Victims of NPD abuse are met with rejection, judgment, dismissal and disproportionate rage at any mention of wrongdoing by the perpetrator. NPD abusers infamously tell their victims to “stop living in the past” or to “get over it already,” even though they remember everything their victims ever did or said and will use these things to hurt them over and over again.

It is very difficult for any of us, abused or otherwise, to move forward from any type of assault or tragedy when our feelings and emotions are so adamantly discounted. It is especially trying for NPD abuse victims who have suffered constant devaluation and “gas lighting” (invalidation) of their perception of reality.

How to Recover from Narcissistic Abuse without Validation

Healing and moving on from pathological narcissistic abuse requires immense inner strength, the very strength that narcissists systematically try to strip from their victims. Survivors must rebuild what they’ve lost, or create what was never created in the first place. That is not an easy feat, but it is an attainable goal; something that must be done for personal sanity and peace of mind.

It doesn’t seem fair. Survivors must do all the work; they need extensive counseling, must stay dignified under the pressure of unfair judgment, must take actions that feel contrary to their natural behavior or inclinations, and must accept the reality that they will never make sense out of the irrational behavior exhibited by their narcissistic abuser.

Survivors have the right to live their lives unencumbered by the abuse of their past. They have the right to live happy lives, despite the malevolent intent of narcissistic abusers that wish them otherwise. And they have the right to do whatever is needed to protect themselves from abusive relationships. Saying “yes” to happiness means saying “no” to toxic relationships.

If you are suffering from narcissistic personality disorder abuse, do not waste another day in pain and feeling powerless. Seek professional help with someone who has lived and fully understands this confusing disorder. Decide to take your power back today.

This article was written by:

Recovering from narcissistic abuse is tough and people have to do with without validation of their feelings. Find out how to recover from narcissistic abuse.Randi Fine is a narcissistic personality disorder abuse expert, radio show host of A Fine Time for Healing, author, and life issues counselor practicing by telephone worldwide. She resides in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Find Randi on Facebook and on her website.

To be a guest author on the Your Mental Health Blog, go here.

Author, G. (2015, October 15). Recovering From Narcissistic Abuse Without Validation, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, December 8 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/yourmentalhealth/2015/10/recovering-from-narcissistic-abuse-without-validation

Author: Guest Author

Lisa
April, 12 2016 at 8:05 pm

Hi I got out through my own persistence knowing something wasn't right - I ave great friends ad family who saw it before me - I finally got out through after a lot of suff - I was going to be homeless and found help now a year later exactly I am there again he got fired and has not paid support and now saying disabled - I am so tired - he knows no boundaries my life does not matter onypoorhim to y children - my family and friends don understand why I cant just get over it - so hard to explain. I have been hit I tell everyone this is worse. I feel like I am failing - it is hard to ind people who can relate - thank you for listening- love to hear your comments ps I am raising two boys and what made me leave was I wanted them to know this is not how you treat woman. Right now my emotional bank s empty.

Kara
April, 12 2016 at 6:52 am

I know this all to well and I'm trying to recover on my own. If anyone needs to talk contact me. I want to help. Never being valated is like suicide. Along with the gas lighting and confusion. Hugs and never give up.

Deby
April, 15 2017 at 3:24 am

Hi Kara, How do I get out of this feeling? I'm trying to work my way out but I feel crippled.

Toni
May, 10 2018 at 3:32 pm

I need to talk. It's been 5 months no contact and im still in pain ;(

maggie
August, 9 2018 at 11:05 am

it will take time. It will require a lot of patience and love on your part to give to yourself. It is layers and layers of issues from when you were with the narcist and from your past. They go hand in hand . You must be dealt with if you want to heal.that you.But, it will get easier as time passes and you do the work and I promise you it will get better, better than any other time in your life because now you've been tested and now you know things you never knew before.

Mason
November, 6 2018 at 3:57 pm

Kara hello. I'm the victim of a quite poor one sided relationship if that is what it is called. I was dumped 6 weeks ago there aren't any victim support groups in Indiana I can't believe it. I've been all over Quota site. I have a psychologist 32 yrs experience see her again Monday. I don't feel she has a clue about my needed recovery and healing. She never even knew me or my fine qualities and caring being. I hope you will write. Quite nice to post an open offer. I want smother you Mason

Kelly
November, 1 2015 at 7:32 pm

Teri, I understand your situation. Even within the organizations of "Help", I have encountered various responses that are not helpful at all. I'm still on list of "someone will call you within 10 days to follow up on your intake". This hasn't happened yet...11 months later. Regardless of my many attempts to continue the follow up, nothing has surfaced. I went through 4 years of mental torture from a Psychopath husband, I was the first to uncover the dark side. I'm still trying to recover from that and the aftermath of a legal nightmare. My court experience mirrored my marriage experience. It was an incapacitating blow. I was told the courts only recognize PTSD within the military. I was formally diagnosed twice in the course of the abusive marriage, to the degree of being disabled. My divorce ruling is unheard of, I was awarded nothing...literally...not a week or day of financial provision. Im legally eligible for permanent spousal support! I was a non working and disabled spouse. His salary is in the 500K range. He controlled everything, had the records sealed and my expert witnesses striked. My evidence never reached the courtroom. It is hard copy factual evidence, not Hearsay. I'm on the brink of being homeless, currently hiding out in a sketchy hotel. I've never faced anything like this. I can't do anything about it because I called over 300 attorneys, and legal aid agencies...nothing surfaced there either. Many well meaning people would offer their thoughts. "Why don't you call, contact, try this or that"? I got so tired and my health worsened as I recounted the facts over and over. My ex is a high profile influential individual. He has access to resources I have no ability to secure. I have no recourse, with the exception of a Federal Appeal...but how does one with no funds go about that??? I'm offering you the only help I can, and it's not the help you need to go forward with provision. I have immense empathy and compassion for your situation. It is so sad to be dismissed due to no physical signs. In my case I did have some physical abuse, though primarily it was chronic mental torture. Police were dispatched, resulting in "incident reports" only. If there wasn't blood or black eyes, it was insignificant. This is added torture for a woman crying out for help. I pray that you have a different experience, and that you get tangible HELP.

Sherry Gillis
January, 19 2019 at 10:47 am

Kelly, have things gotten better in your life? I just read this comment of yours almost 4 years later and I wonder how things are going for you now? Were you able to survive financially? Everything okay?

Joan Yost
October, 27 2015 at 5:16 pm

Teri, you can seek help from places that help people escaping from domestic violence. Verbal and emotional abuse very often lead to physical abuse and the professionals working in this field know this. Depending on where you live, unfortunately, there may not be resources to help you if you don't have physical injuries. If that is the case, start learning what you need to do if you suddenly do have to leave: make a plan and get help from people you trust to not tell your abuser. It can take a long time and planning to get out but you can do it!

Teri
October, 27 2015 at 11:01 am

The article says "seek help". From who exactly? The whole reason I'm stuck in this abusive situation is because I can't afford to move out, so how am I going to afford to "seek help"?
There is plenty of help out there for victims of Domestic Violence, but none out there for Verbal and Emotional Abuse.

Dr Musli Ferati
October, 24 2015 at 1:48 am

In daily life, narcissistic personality disorder is very intrigued and perplex entity to distinguish exactly, because every relationship has got specific psycho-social context. However, if any relationship is "toxic", then the issue becomes serious, which one should review and repair, as well. Beforehand, we ought to take in account personal emotional experience that coming up from respective ironic relationship. If any person offend you always and oppose you in any case, without considers the respective circumstances, then it is time to interrupt this relationship. Because this psycho-social undertaking is difficult one, it is preferable to seek professional help or to be consulted with any wise man. Your advise is welcomed. Furthermore, when it is known that anyone has got something good and valuable, which one should serve as motivation to return and repair self-esteem and self-confidence, as well. With these personal considerations the victims of abuse relationship may to escape successfully from narcissistic person. On the other hand, it ought to be be able to say the big "no" without fear and with convincing. The life requires from us to be strong, because the week ones become good for nothing.

madeleine