45 Ways to Build Your Self-Esteem
You probably know that building self-esteem is important for your mental health and wellbeing, and there are many ways you can build your self-esteem. Below is a list of tips for self-esteem building, compiled from posts over the past year.
45 Tips to Build Your Self-Esteem
- Accept responsibility for your self-esteem. That includes accepting responsibility for getting the help you need. Understand that your self-esteem depends on you.
- Get mental health help to build your self-esteem. This can help in addressing the underlying issues, including mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. You are not alone and it helps to have the right support.
- Stop comparing yourself to other people.
- Set goals that are right for you and build your self-esteem.
- Work on your self-talk. Challenge your negative thoughts and replace them with healthier thoughts.
- Stop being overly critical of yourself. Being too hard on yourself does not build your self-esteem.
- Stop putting yourself down and instead, talk about yourself in a healthy way. Self-respect is important to build self-esteem.
- Pay attention to the positives in your life.
- Practice gratitude. Spend some time being thankful for the good things.
- Stop worrying about what others think.
- Stop being a people-pleaser.
- Let go of perfectionism. Learn to love yourself as an imperfect person, and keep your expectations reasonable.
- Learn to be assertive. That includes learning to say no confidently and expressing your own opinion.
- Set healthy boundaries, both personally and professionally. Distance yourself from toxic people and take time out from stressful situations.
- Step outside your comfort zone. Keep on challenging yourself so that you can learn and grow. Challenge yourself by facing your fears and stop using avoidance to deal with self-esteem issues.
- Think of mistakes as lessons. Look at them as opportunities to learn and grow.
- Stop being too hard on yourself. You are human, after all.
- Connect with people. Reach out to friends and family, or go to places where you can meet new people. Socialising is an important way of building self-esteem.
- Use positive affirmations.
- Keep calm when others put you down.
- Use creativity to build self-esteem.
- Listen to music that builds your self-esteem and doesn't take you to dark places.
- Sing to build self-esteem.
- Express yourself by journalling.
- Volunteer or help someone.
- Practice mindfulness.
- Get moving by doing exercise or physical activity. It helps you to build confidence and makes you feel better.
- Pursue a hobby that you enjoy or want to try purely for the sake of enjoyment.
- Fake it 'til you make it. Act confident until you become confident. That includes body language as well as your words.
- Pay attention to personal grooming. Self-care is important.
- Stop relying on others for approval.
- Stop overgeneralisation.
- Look after your health. That includes good nutrition and sleep.
- Forget about diets because they are harmful. Instead, focus on nourishing your body, becoming healthier and creating healthy habits that are maintainable.
- Make time for relaxation/meditation.
- Read self-help books or articles, including online resources that help you build self-esteem.
- Join a class or group.
- Join an online mental health forum.
- Spend some time alone, and learn to enjoy your own company. Be your own best friend.
- Spend some time in nature.
- Accept the things you cannot change.
- Take steps to change the things that you can control.
- Keep on persisting and learn to handle setbacks.
- Believe in yourself. You are worthy and deserve the best.
These are just some ideas and it’s a matter of experimenting to see what works for you. I encourage you to add your own ideas to this list. There are so many ways you can build self-esteem, and it's well worth putting in the effort.
Agathangelou, F. (2015, December 29). 45 Ways to Build Your Self-Esteem, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, September 15 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/buildingselfesteem/2015/12/45-ways-to-build-your-self-esteem
Author: Fay Agathangelou
PS ~ Happy New Year
Not sure on #30 Fake it until you make it. That could backfire.
My best are
9. Gratitude. I do say thank you a lot.
27. Exercise. I have been jogging 4 days a week and it really helps.
28. Pursue a hobby. I jog on green belt at night when very dark. I look at the night sky and identify constellations, planets, massive stars, and even satellites. Its fun.
41. Spend time in Nature. I do this. I look at flowers and their colors. I look at weeds and their survival strategy. I look at wild life too.