Using Creativity to Build Self-Esteem
Creativity can help you to build self-esteem, improve your mental health and boost your wellbeing. There are many ways that you can be creative and it doesn’t matter what you do. For example, it can be anything from writing, art, design, playing music, cooking, scrapbooking, pottery, cake decorating, knitting, sewing, woodworking, photography, gardening or dancing. Here are some reasons why it’s worth trying creativity to build self-esteem.
How Creativity Helps to Build Self-Esteem
- It’s a way of self-expression. Unexpressed thoughts and feelings can be very damaging and it’s important to let them out in a healthy way. As well as allowing you to express your thoughts and feelings, creativity can help you to make sense of them and it can help put things in perspective.
- It gives you something to focus on. Creativity can help take the focus away from destructive negative thoughts. It is a healthy way of channelling negative energy into something positive.
- It teaches you to focus on the process. Creativity can teach you to be mindful and immersed in the present moment.
- It gives you purpose and meaning. Creativity gives you something meaningful to do.
- It can be enjoyable. Doing something enjoyable gives you good feelings which help you feel better about yourself.
- You can learn something new. Creativity is an opportunity for learning and that can help you to build confidence. For example, learning to draw or playing a musical instrument.
- It can give you a sense of accomplishment. Accomplishment can come from the process of doing or learning and it’s not necessarily about the end result. As a bonus, you may feel a sense of accomplishment when you create something.
- It can be a way of connecting with other people. Doing something that you enjoy is an opportunity to connect and make friends with like minded people.
- It is therapeutic. The benefits of creativity are recognised. There is widespread use of creativity as therapy, for example, art therapy and music therapy.
Using Creativity to Build Self-Esteem - Where to Begin
If you’re not sure where to begin, look for something that you might enjoy or benefit from. You can be creative either on your own or in a group and there are many options. Be prepared to try out different things until you find something that works for you.
It’s important give yourself permission to create without self-judgement, and stop criticising what you do. Creating without being self-critical might take some getting used to but the benefits are worth it. It really doesn’t matter how good you are at something. Being creative is good for your wellbeing and that’s what matters. Learn to free yourself of your inhibitions, and give yourself permission to be yourself.
Creativity has personally worked well for me and I highly recommend it. I encourage you to try creativity to build self-esteem.
How Creativity Can Help Build Self-Esteem
In this self-esteem video, I talk about creativity and how it can help you to build self-esteem.
Agathangelou, F. (2015, November 10). Using Creativity to Build Self-Esteem, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, June 17 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/buildingselfesteem/2015/11/creativity-to-build-self-esteem
Author: Fay Agathangelou
I'm aiming to start doing water colour painting. Got a complete kit, but havn't had time or place to use it, but now that we're about to go on 3 holidays - this will be my chance to enjoy nature in it's entirety!
It's a nice way to pass the time, i.e instead of parking myself in front of a TV. As a person with bipolar I also find that colour has a way of positively affecting my mood.