8 Ways to Make Your Home an Anxiety-Free Zone
Having an anxiety-free zone in the place where you spend a lot of time, often your home, is a way to reduce anxiety. When you create a dedicated space where you can let go of worries, what-ifs, fears, and stress, you give yourself a wonderful gift. Just knowing that you have a haven available to decompress and intentionally replace the negative with the positive can keep you going through times of stress and anxiety. The following eight ideas can turn your home--the entire dwelling, a room, or even a corner--into an anxiety-free zone.
Your Anxiety-Free Zone: No Anxiety, No Negative Thoughts, Allowed
The idea behind creating an anxiety-free zone where you live is simple. You're giving your brain, body and spirit a place to simply be. Here, there are no expectations, no "shoulds," no stress, and no anxieties. These things are outside of your haven. (It's a bit like forts and clubs of childhood with signs that read "no boys" or "no girls" to keep out "germs.") Negative thoughts of any kind are "germs" and are not allowed in your anxiety-free zone.
To be able to have a place to go where anxiety can't follow is enticing; however, merely walking into a place you've designated as your haven doesn't work very well. As anyone who experiences anxiety in any form and intensity knows, wherever you go, anxiety will be there, too. That's because anxiety is stuck inside you, in your brain and body, thoughts, feelings, and actions. It's hard to just walk away from it. That's why an anxiety-free zone is necessary.
8 Ways to Craft an Anxiety-Free Zone in Your Home
The key to making an anxiety-free zone that works is to plan it with purpose and populate it with things that soothe you and encourage mindfulness. To keep out anxious thoughts, it's necessary to both empty the mind and gently, indirectly fill the mind with alternative experiences. In your haven, your brain doesn't need things to think about; instead, it needs things to notice, a present moment in which to exist.
These ideas can help you create your anxiety-free space:
- Beauty--How do you define beauty? Add things that please you.
- Calm--Use essential oils in a diffuser or light candles and play soothing music or nature songs.
- Nature--Place live plants and flowers as they enhance health.
- Tidiness--Keep your space clutter-free. Clutter has been shown to increase anxiety and stress.
- Seat--Whether it's a chair, beanbag, pillows, or meditation cushion, have a seat for deep breathing and mindfulness meditation.
- Affirmations--Keep a box, jar, or vase filled with your favorite motivational sayings and self-affirming quotes.
- Books--Include a bookshelf or box stocked with journals, inspirational books, and general books for relaxing.
- Mat--Put a yoga mat on the floor for stretching and relaxing your body.
Your anxiety-free zone will help you calm anxiety in a moment, and when you use it regularly--ideally daily, even for five or 10 minutes--you will drastically reduce anxiety and stress for good. Imagine becoming your own walking anxiety-free zone, being a haven wherever you go.
NCC, T. (2019, March 14). 8 Ways to Make Your Home an Anxiety-Free Zone, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, August 18 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/anxiety-schmanxiety/2019/3/8-ways-to-make-your-home-an-anxiety-free-zone