How to Help Someone with Depression
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Supporting a Depressed Person
- How to Support Someone with Depression
- Share Your Mental Health Experiences
- From HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- "Experiencing Avoidant Personality Disorder" On HealthyPlace TV
No doubt about it. For the person living with depression, life can be very tough. But it's not easy for spouses or family members either.
"I feel horrible for my husband. He lost his job 3 years ago because of the recession and hasn't found another job. About two years ago, he fell into a deep depression. Even antidepressants don't help much. I've tried being supportive, but to be honest, I really don't know what to do and I'm getting worn out." - Stephanie
Stephanie's situation isn't that unusual. Unfortunately, most people with depression don't reach out and say "here's what I need." That leaves loved ones grasping in the dark, trying to figure out what to do and how to help.
If that's your situation, here are some articles to lead you in the right direction.
- How Family and Friends Can Help the Depressed Person
- Helping A Depressed Person Receive Treatment For Depression, Another article
- Helping the Depressed Person
- When Someone You Love Has A Mental Illness (Resisting Medication, Relative's Anger, Your Guilt)
- Mental Illness - Information for Families
- Best Things to Say to Someone Who Is Depressed
Share Your Mental Health Experiences
Share your thoughts on "stigma of mental illness" or any mental health subject, or respond to other people's audio posts, by calling our toll-free number (1-888-883-8045).
You can listen to what other people are saying by clicking on the gray title bars inside the widgets located on the "Sharing Your Mental Health Experiences" homepage, the HealthyPlace homepage, and the HealthyPlace Support Network homepage.
If you have any questions, write us at: info AT healthyplace.com
From HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
Your comments and observations are welcomed.
- 5 Depression / Bipolar Treatments You Might Not Know About (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- ADHD and Tardiness: Better Late Than Never. Really?! (ADDaboy! adult ADHD blog)
- Settling for a Mediocre Eating Disorder Recovery (Eating Disorder Recovery: The Power of Parents blog)
- The Nasty Task of Breaking Up with a Nice Person (The Unlocked Life Blog)
- An Inside Look at Bipolar Medications
- Causes of Eating Disorders: It's Complicated
- ADHD: The Power of Timers and Alarms
continue story below
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
In all her 58 years, Trish Poce has never held a "real job". She's deathly afraid to be around people. And this debilitating mental illness took it's toll on her. But it's not all bad news, as you'll see on this week's HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show.
- What is Life Like with Avoidant Personality Disorder? (tv show blog, audio post, guest info)
Coming Up in August on the HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show
- How I Overcame Deadly Depression
- Irritable Male Syndrome: Why Mid-Life Men Turn Mean
If you would like to be a guest on the show or share your personal story in writing or via video, please write us at: producer AT healthyplace.com
Click here for a list of previous HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Shows.
Staff, H. (2010, July 23). How to Help Someone with Depression, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2020, May 26 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/how-to-help-someone-with-depression