Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Depression
For many people, talking with your doctor about a medical or psychological problem can be difficult, but if you have the symptoms of depression, it's important to discuss them with your doctor and receive appropriate depression treatment.
When you visit the doctor, you may feel rushed or forget to ask some important questions about your symptoms, causes or treatment of depression. So here is a list of questions you can print out to bring with you to the doctor's office. Add your own notes about your symptoms, medical conditions you may have or any medications or herbal supplements you are currently taking plus any personal questions about depression to the list.
- Do I have depression or is it something else?
- What caused my depression? Is it possible that it's related to a medical problem or medications I may be taking?
- What depression treatments are available that don't include antidepressant medications?
- Do you think I need antidepressant medications for my depression and why?
- If I need antidepressants, how do they work? What should I expect when I start them? And how long do they take to relieve my depression symptoms?
- What antidepressant side-effects should I expect? Will they affect my sex life or daily functioning? And what can I do about the side-effects from antidepressants?
- Should I see a therapist as part of my depression treatment?
- What else should I do to relieve my depression and keep the symptoms of depression from coming back? Any lifestyle or behavioral changes?
- Can I call you if I have more questions or any problems relating to my depression or treatment?
- What should I do if I feel suicidal?
Tracy, N. (2021, December 30). Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Depression, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, May 17 from https://www.healthyplace.com/depression/depression-information/questions-to-ask-your-doctor-about-depression