Things Verbal Abusers Say and Do

April 29, 2012 Kellie Jo Holly

Abusive people, men and women, say and do similar things to control their victims. The delivery may vary in tone or type, but the effect is the same. Read this.

What does verbal abuse sound like? The tone and content varies from abuser to abuser, but the words effect the victim in similar ways. Victims hear horrible things from their abuser and they feel small, withdrawn, angry, helpless, sad, shame, and a hundred other horrible emotions - sometimes all at once.

In the beginning of my abusive relationship, I felt anger and stood up for myself which led to loud, circular verbal altercations that had no solutions. Later, after coming to believe that he was my hero, my savior and provider, I felt stupid and wanted to fix myself so he would love me. Much later, I turned away and left the house for awhile which eventually led to increased physical violence and leaving forever.

Sometimes my abuser's words hurt when he jabs and attempts to provoke on the phone. Mostly, the memory, the countless memories of the abusive things he's said to me rear up and try to convince me that his remembered voice is my own.

This list is only a partial list of the things verbal abusers say. It's not limited to my own abusive relationship. It takes into account what others report hearing, too.

Things Verbal Abusers Say:

• "Why don't you get a job so you understand the real world? Oh, wait - I forgot - you can't get a job because you're a stupid sh!t.
  • "Quit your whining and crying. You have no reason to cry or complain! Your life is perfect because I made it that way!"
  • "Bitch" (and the countless other names I won't bother to list)
  • "I should have left you at the club with all the other whores."
  • "If you were more like my mother I could worship you."
  • "I hate it when you act so pitiful. Stop the waterworks and talk like a human being."
  • "I can't stand to look at you. You make me sick."
  • "You're such a great actress! You know how to get what you want, don't you?"
  • "I can't believe I have to come home to you every day. How did I get involved with such a train wreck?"
  • "I must be the first a$$hole to love you. You don't know how to please a man!"
  • "You're fat and miserable and you make me hate you."
  • "You always look like God stomped on your face."
  • "Why do you care what I want for dinner? My favorites taste like crap when you make them anyway."
  • "You used to be as beautiful as my ex, but geesh - time hasn't been good to you, baby!"
  • "Those children are mine, will always be mine, and if you leave you'll never see them again."

Things Verbal Abusers Do:

• Deny they said anything similar to the list above.
  • Defend what they've said.
  • Analyze what they've said out loud, explaining that the words they used do not have the definitions you seem to think they do.
  • Block you in a room so you can't leave and thereby avoid what they're saying.
  • Talk horribly to the television but are really speaking to you.
  • Flip open their knife to open a piece of gum while looking at you under knitted brows.
  • Leave to do something else at the last minute when you had plans together.
  • Take you out for your best birthday ever and then wind up berating you on the way home for not appreciating their efforts enough.
  • Tell your children you need more happy pills to be a good mom.
  • Change the topic of the conversation so you bounce from one place to another, never getting to the core of the issue.
  • Accuse you of being a whore or a dummy or a _________ so often that they no longer need to say the words but can offer up a "look" and you know what they're saying (then they may deny it).

Abusive people, men and women, say and do similar things to control their victims. The delivery may vary in tone or type, but the effect is the same.Okay. I have to stop. My stomach is literally upset right now after digesting the utter contempt and hatred some people spew on a daily basis.

If you're still living in this nonsense, learn about detachment and how it can benefit you. Maybe in time you'll choose to leave your abuser, and maybe you'll choose to stay. No one here will judge you for staying (I've been there and it can feel hopeless!), but please work on ways to make yourself feel better in the process.

Start here:

You can also find Kellie on her website at Verbal Abuse Journals , and social media pages on Google+, Facebook and Twitter. Buy her books from Amazon.

*Both women and men could be abusers or victims, so do not take my pronoun choices as an implication that one gender abuses and the other is victimized.

Holly, K. (2012, April 29). Things Verbal Abusers Say and Do, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, June 19 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/verbalabuseinrelationships/2012/04/things-verbal-abusers-say-and-do

Author: Kellie Jo Holly

Lynne
March, 12 2016 at 3:39 pm
I have been living with a narcissist. Married for 18 years and last 3 have been hell. He hasn't worked for the last 3 months and has no desire to find employment. He has become involved in what i consider a pyramid scheme and says that is his work-calling people to try and get them to join. Whenever i mention getting a job, he screams at me that he has one but he is not contributing to the house. He may do a load of laundry a day but he doesn't clean or pick up after himself. I come home from working 12 hours a day and have to pick up, do dishes, feed dogs, etc while he sits on his computer. I have left 2 times and both time he promises to change and doesn't. When things don't go his way, he screams at me, calls me names, and tells me what a waste i am. I work anywhere from 60-80 hrs a week and am exhausted in every way possible. I do love him but i resent him so much right now. He gets mad if i don't want to have sex with him but anymore it 's all about what he wants and why should i reward him if he isn't doing anything for me. I am at my wits end. He sold a couple of things that made us some money and now he went out and spent most of that money on other things for himself. I wanted to pay a couple of bills...be an adult. He was on dating sites for awhile and he just last week cancelled them. But i don't trust him. He gets mad that i work so much but to maintain our lifestyle, i have to. I really want to leave but feel like such a failure walking away after 20 years. But then by not leaving i feel like i am letting myself down for not being strong.
helen
March, 1 2016 at 7:29 am
One more thing though - the best advice I can give anyone who is trying to leave is pretend that you are a secret agent and that your abuser is literally trying to kill you even if he has never actually threatened that or physically abused you. You have to have the right mindset in order to carry through with what you need to do because believe me, it isn't easy. You have to be "underhanded", and "lie" and other behaviors that normally are not advised in a marriage or a relationship of any sort, really. But if you are in a relationship with an abuser, all bets are off. You have to accept that you must sneak and make sure he doesn't know that you are hiding money and clothes and have a get away plan. You have to act normal around him so that he doesn't get the whiff of freedom coming from you. Do not confront him with your plan under any circumstance. He may act cool or he may blow his top but remember that information is power and if you have the information about your plans and he does not, that gives you power. And honey, you need power when you are dealing with someone like these men described here. Don't let anyone tell you that you are a "control freak" because they don't even know what a control freak is until they meet a man like you have had to deal with. Be your own best friend and also remember that those kids are yours to protect because what do you think will happen if you leave but not with the kids? That's right - the kids will become the ones that get yelled at, belittled, and otherwise destroyed emotionally. Fight for yourself and for your kids but make him think everything is totally normal. As much as you would love so much to see him intimidated for once, don't tell him your plans. And for those that say he is nice 90% of the time and only 10% is he awful - what if the 90% of the time is just him acting and the 10% is his true self that you are seeing?
helen
March, 1 2016 at 7:14 am
hello all ! I am here to let everyone know that it is possible to get away and it is possible to find love again. I am proof. I won't say living proof because who knows, by the time you read this, maybe I'll be dead because my ex will have shot me down on the front steps. I hate to say it so casually but let's face it ladies, it is always a risk. These guys that are verbally abusive turn physically abuse quicker than you realize and sometimes by the time you realize what happens, it is too late. So, am I happy now? Yes. Am I forever paranoid and have PTSD even though I have yet to find a physician who will acknowledge it? Yes. My fiance has PTSD from being a veteran and the doctors fall all over themselves to prescribe him meds to help him sleep or stay calm but me? Nope. They are willing to prescribe Ambien but guess what I just found out? Ambien increases your chances of a heart attack by 50%. In the toilet with those poison pills ! ANYway, I'm rambling because my ex has thrown me into a terror/panic attack and I'm just trying to calm down. But bottom line, there is love after abuse but I will not ever let my guard down again. Maybe it will keep me alive.
Chris
February, 20 2016 at 1:41 pm
For Ann (Jan2016), I am in the same boat as you and unfortunately it's the second time around and again with young children involved. He helped save me from my ex and 4-7yrs later he's doing the same thing just not threatening with physical violence. I am so used to being called a cu*t on a daily basis it's not funny. I can't interrupt him (he plays iPad games 24/7), meals have to be cooked to his standard and his way, I can't cuddle the kids after they get in trouble but he can, I can't buy them anything or go anywhere except the local park with them, nothing of his can be touched and if the girls do it's my fault (I should say now that EVERYTHING's my fault). I'm the only worker and get paid well but how I function I don't know. It's switch on at home, switch off at work-unless he rings me to carry on about something he can't find or other irrelevant crap. I do all the housework, the kids when I'm at home (as soon as I walk through the door) and I'm trying to study. I was just made redundant and am now trying to do selection criteria's while interrupted by kids (2&4) while he sleeps. He is already on a dvo by my 17yr old daughter but breaks this every day with his verbal abuse. She was kicked out. He's always kicking me out too so he can claim centrelink as a single parent and get the money while sitting back on the iPad. I refuse to go. BUT I am covertly 'cleaning' the house and sorting stuff, boxing everything into the 'spare' room for when it's time to leave - which will be very soon. Good luck with your attempt at custody buddy - with that record and the dvo I don't like your chances...
Kerry Anne
February, 20 2016 at 8:23 am
My husband tells me I'm fat all the time. I don't work out enough, I'm lazy, unorganized, stupid, confused, I look and act like a chicken with it's head cut off, etc. He made me, without him I would be nothing, etc. Today, he went off on me for getting ready to take our daughter to mathnasium, because she asked to go on Saturday instead of Friday. She plays tennis, which was his choice, but he is upset because I have her in so many lessons and group lessons, which he thinks is a waste of time. We are doing a home remodel, I'm in charge of paperwork, going to city hall, phone calls, paying, etc. He works as a professional, so he always swears he has no time to do anything, but he has usually on average about one to two hours of "free time" during the day to call me, or ask me to go to his office to "hang out", because he loves being with me....except for when I do something wrong, then he tells me that he is starting to not love me anymore. Everytime we go out, he 90% of the time tells me how I'm unattractive, or too fat, or embarrassing and completely derails our "nice evening". He tells me I'm unorganized, because I am always busy, saying that I don't do things smartly. He says that he has to do everything for me, including plan my day... but he really doesn't even help me with the simplest things. I'm ranting, this just happened. It really ruined the weekend, my day, the kid's day... I am so afraid to leave him, because if he gives me hell like this now, how will he be when I do leave him. I have a professional degree, but haven't worked since my daughter was born, nine years ago! That too, was his decision, so our kids have mom home, they will grow up better. I don't even know what to do, but I am so tired. I am just tired of feeling miserable. And.... all the justifications he gives me, as to why he says these things, and why he is right, and I am so difficult, and I am so wrong... it just cuts me down to the core. My stomach hurts, I feel weak; I mean, it really physically hurts to be with him, and yet, here I am in our room typing this out on his computer... It's pathetic! I remember myself as strong willed, and I am.... just not with him. He knows all the words, knows how to wound... I just can't fight anymore. If it weren't for my children, I'd kill myself, because he won't even let me leave... he hates me, but then never wants me to go. I feel like if I died, it would just end it... no pain, no loss, nothing. I'm feeling sorry for myself.
zoe
February, 18 2016 at 2:30 pm
Hi ihave been with my partner for 5 year the past 3 year he hass been an absalute night mare hes all ways trying to bring me down wee could have a silly argument a bout sumthing so stupid it dousent even make sence and he will start calling me name like ure just a whore ure dirt u cant do nuthing right u need me to do every thing for u ure good for nuthing if u leve me u will be a lonley old woman with nuthing or no 1 i will get married have kids be happy hes all ways throing the fact that i cant have kids in my face i feal like if i leve him he could be right iam not the strongest off persone but i do try to keep my head held up in front off uthers when realy it feals like he is killing what ever bit off happenes and energy i have left wen i tell him a bout it he says i dnt mean all that thing u just make me angery then 2 days later its the same thing i have tride leaving bk to my perents then he will fone and be like the man i fell in love with till he gets me bk then it just repeats all over agean and its all ways my fault never his he douse nuthing rong in his eyes i realy dont no wat to do no more ?
Nikki
February, 12 2016 at 3:42 pm
I'm hurting. He is a monster. He just flips out.. Hit me once but has been destructive Its not always bad but he really scared me tonight. I don't know what to do. Its happened a lot . but it stupid because I love him. He always says I pushed him to the point

Kellie Jo Holly
February, 15 2016 at 8:39 am
Abusers make all of their sins YOUR fault. You cannot force him to be violent - that is HIS choice. And it is a choice - he could leave for awhile to cool down or listen to music until he's ready to talk... but he doesn't. He chooses to scare you, to be violent with you.

He's choosing to scare you so you're afraid of him AND of leaving him. http://thehotline.org - visit that site.
Hannah222
February, 6 2016 at 1:40 pm
I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and he mentally abuses me everyday he has yelled at my mom my dad and aunt several times he tells me who I can and can't talk to he screams in my face then blames every argument on me there isn't a name he hasn't called me when I cry he yells at me and tells me to stop every time we have sex he always says it could be better why am I still with him everytime I tell him I'm going to break up with him I take it back why can't I break up with him WHY
LostSelf
February, 6 2016 at 12:37 am
Hello I took the courage to post my comment too after all the stories I have read which I can relate to. I am 29 and a lawyer, I am educated presentable and engaged to my verbally abusing fiancé for 1,5 months, to get married in 4 months. Signs were there all along , he was always an introvert, uptight, poker face person with no light moments. It felt wrong from the very beginning but the whole handsome successful serious and relationship material profile kept me going . I grew up in an unhealthy environment myself, witnessing my parents constant name calling and fighting from as far as I can remember . Maybe this has changed my perception of what is acceptable in a relationship.
The initial signs of verbal abuse did not take long to appear. Constant criticism, name calling , belittling , trying to make me feel worthless without him, constant accusations about my family, trying to make me feel helpless and dependent on him although I was earning as much as he did , wrongful accusations to the point I was thinking he was talking about someone else (bad with money, bad with housework, not caring about the house, not sharing common expenses which were completely untrue) . He also had a very weird relationship with his mother (he has had a hard childhood, being abandoned by his father with minimum contact and grew up as an only child by an insecure, psychotic mother who has never recovered from her divorce) with constant guilt being used by her towards him and us as a couple due to the fact that she lives alone in another town and we had to visit her every Saturday which used to cause me tremendous pressure and stress, not being able to decide for my own schedule on weekends.
Our relationship was always hard to cope with, constant efforts, fighting to the point where I was embarrassed from neighbors to see me afterwards , it was generally hard. Walking on eggshells was my life , and imagine I was a strong , self sustained and educated woman . I can’t understand why did I ever put up with this . Being with him was simply hard .
My abuser had the image of mr perfect to our close environment. Loving , caring , always helping with the housework, being relationship material. Even in private he was very loving with me when he wanted . I was even told by many female friends that they would wish for their husband to be more like mine. He would simply be another person in public . When I finally broke my silence and confided the details to friends and family they thought I was referring to someone else. Another thing that made me dispute my judgment even more .
We got engaged last year and he forbid me to discuss anything about the wedding till when he said so. Two months later he hurt me with his words saying he despised me , I made him sick etc until one day we had an argument about something stupid and he asked for the ring back and kicked me out of the house . Living with him under the same roof was a constant struggle : not only did I have to put up with his bad character , I was kicked out of the house millions of times until my insecurities took a toll on me. I left him on that day and he begged me to go back . I did go then (I was only engaged for 2 months) but was emotionally numb, full of hate and disappointment, unable to try for this relationship. Still I couldn’t go. This feeling never went away .
A few months earlier , I decided to change into a new job. The impact on my psychology was rather bad as I am terrible with change and I was slightly depressed for a few months . He decided he could not stand me , he threatened to leave me and he could not be around me because of all the stress I created . He decided to sleep on the couch for 2 months as he couldn’t be anywhere near me. Let alone the constant name calling on how unworthy I was for feeling this way , how I messed up his life and our lives by being depressed about my work and how he could not tolerate me. We finally had a huge fight for an irrelevant reason where he threw all of my belongings in the corridor and started screaming at me to get out, threw me a whole bottle of water in my face , tried to lock me in the room and was pushing me hard against the wall ( I am very petite and he is a very big guy- that didn’t stop him from laying his hands on me) . I didn’t leave but couldn’t live with myself after all this . Not only did he give me zero support when I needed him but he also made things harder for me . His ability to make a person feel better is simply non existent. A few days later he demonstrated similar behaviors when I Complained because he was very rude on me on the phone (told me to ‘kick my brain off’ because I was busy while talking to him and he lost patience) so he told me to go to the room as he couldn’t stand me and that he would make me sleep on the couch . I decided to leave him once again. I was feeling very wrong to have someone treat me this way. I came to my parents house for a few days and he begged me to go back . I did go back just to find out his only intention was to threaten me to quit my job or else he would abandon me. He even had his bags packed when I went to ‘discuss’. I absolutely denied , he implied that the root to all of our problems was my job and that he couldn’t be with me while I was there. He said he would support me but I simply said no (been working since 21 , fully self sustained and I was not willing to be financially dependent from a guy who said I was not contributing when I was paying half the rent and expenses plus a guy that kicked me out practically every month). He threatened and insisted for 5 long hours where he got me to a point where I couldn’t wait for him to leave . He did leave but that of course wasn’t the end to my problems . Constant texting , psychological pressure while I was at work and many more , got me to a point where I could not operate and I was told off by my superior for not meeting up his expectations at work. I took him back and I still don’t know why. He clearly can’t change and I clearly can’t try. Of course , we had another fight after that because of the fact that he decided he doesn’t like my parents as they turned their back against me when I was having job troubles . That isn’t true . I felt I couldn’t take any longer . Out final fight was all I could take and all to make me realize he could never change . We were having all this trouble due to his behavior (I do take responsibility for my reactions for work) and he still insisted on creating more problems when he promised he would change . He even said he was willing to try counselling (promised the same last year but didn’t go) but I really don’t thing he is a position to understand what he is doing wrong let alone fix it . I am also powerless to try . I am drained . I do have feelings but he killed most of them. I am now at my parents once again and I told him I am calling the wedding off and want us to separate. He doesn’t accept it; he says all is my fault for not trying to leave things behind me since last year. Truth is I was so angry and hurt I couldn’t. He thinks this is no excuse. I am in a dead end . I have his deadlines to cope with (have to give a final answer by tomorrow) plus the wedding stress (meaning call it off) and I cannot even trust myself anymore that I can make the right decision. I feel that I have lost faith in myself so much that I can’t even decide what’s best for me. Guilt is also an issue for not trying since last year . I do know I deserve better . I earn a very good salary, I am pretty, young educated and a good person and I really can’t figure out what is wrong with me and why can’t I just stop this sick and toxic relationship. A part of me blames myself for not trying and another part simply screams get away, it will get worse. Help!!!!!
A. Logan
January, 27 2016 at 3:47 pm
It's been almost three months since I left the man who verbally abused me throughout the last two years of our five+ year relationship. While it's strangely 'comforting' to realize I was not/am not alone, it is of course equally heartbreaking to know that the cycle indeed will continue in other relationships.

As I read and learn more about the evil that is called (verbal) abuse which had to endure, I thrilled to finally be able to validate, even if only to myself, that perhaps it actually WASN'T in my head after all.

And that I WASN'T pretending to be confused by his words "simply because I was being a 'dumbass'".

And I learned that I WASN'T being 'too sensitive' when his evil words hurt me to my very soul. Or a crybaby.

And I also learned that NO, Jimmy you were WRONG to tell me that if I 'just did what you're told, I wouldn't have to get so pissed at you'. It STILL didn't prevent you from subjecting me to yet the many hours' long verbal assault i endured. You'd still find reason to be angry and tell yourself it was YOUR right to attack me verbally... and it would still be 'my' fault.

I learned also, the many hours I tried oh, so very hard, to logically discuss the situation with you in a cautious, calm and reasonable manner simply in order to explain my point of view WASN'T listened to by you, WASN'T cared for by you and NEVER would have made any difference to you. No matter how much I tried to tell you how your words hurt me. No matter how much I hoped with my whole heart that you might realize that there are other, better ways of resolving conflict, especially with someone you said you 'loved'.

And one day, I when I finally realized that no matter how you might have once loved me, you in fact, were NOT my prince charming, you were NOT my knight in shining armor, and you were NEVER the man you pretended to be. You were only a sad, sad pathetic man who didn't know any better then to bully people to get your way; rather than having a rational discussion and actually being able to help SOLVE problems.

You THOUGHT you were too good to ever say 'I'm sorry'. And so you never said it.

Once I finally left (and heck, even as recent as THIS week... omg really?), you'd send messages; you'd say to me how glad you were I was gone and that you never married me ONE day, but then send messages telling me that 'my whole life is falling apart without you' the very NEXT.

I learned, too that YOUR selfish refusal to compromise as well as your lack of concern for any consequence, person, friendship, relationship, etc NEVER meant so much to you that you were motivated you to simply TRY. But you had no interest.

You weren't willing to entertain the idea that you were NOT always right, that there are different ways to get a point across besides yelling and insulting, alternative ways to communicate besides shouting and being degrading; I had always looked forward to the day when you began to think about the other person's feelings in a relationship and make them a priority.

I waited so long for you to decide you finally cared enough about our relationship to want to work together and for the both of us to emotionally grow; as well learn more effective ways of communication.
------------------------

You never careed enough, however. Now my life is mine and I am 1300 miles from you and free; at last I am safely from the evil, hate and rage you carry within your very heart and soul.

Ah... but I know how you think Jimmy, let's not forget that.
And knowing you like I do, it's quite possible you may even try to convince yourself (and others) that you were in the right all along and I should have simply listened to you and none of this would ever have happened; or perhaps was simply *I* who was not worth any efforts on your part with which we could have used to repair our relationship;, you perhaps even see yourself as 'blameless' and can 'justify' laying the blame completely at my feet; of course, you might also be able to halfway convince YOURSELF that you believe this to be true and thereby adjudicating and absolving your soul of any and all guilt and accountability.

It won't work for long though will it Jimmy? bBcause we both know the true facts as they happened.
Own YOUR part in this, as well as YOUR mistakes.
Work through them, learn from them and never, ever, ever repeat them.

A
A. Logan
January, 27 2016 at 12:35 pm

As I read and learn more about the evil called (verbal) abuse which had to endure, I thrilled to finally be able to validate, even if only to myself, that it actually WASN'T in my head after all.

And that I WASN'T
ab
January, 23 2016 at 8:01 am
My husband and I have parted ways today. He's always angry. He always complains. He is verbally and mentally abusive. Gaslighting.....everything is my fault. Stuff he said berating me then says he never said it. he never apologizes and yells at me like a wild animal. I feel pretty bad but I know he is abusing me. I don't want my nine year old to learn these behaviors. He will never change and I can't love him enough to change him. Also, he uses financial control to control me. I have no job but I hope I will soon.
Laila
January, 20 2016 at 8:17 pm
There’s nothing more hurtful than words. We all have hearts but some really need to think before they say things because you are unable to take those things away.
The day started as normal, getting up making coffee and lunch. Work went well but when the day is over there is always someone waiting to hurt you even if they love you. In my perspective is that if you love someone don’t verbally abuse them with hurtful words because it is the exact same thing as judging a book by its cover as well as bullying. Bullying these days can get out of control. Different types of bullying, no matter what the situation is, you need to admit it to yourself that you are a bully.
If you are older than a person that is younger than them, don’t disrespect them because like they say,
“The wheel always turn”
It is like a rotation cycle that happens every once a month. We have our bad habits for the month, man or woman but to show some respect and faith then that will make one person’s life a little bit better.
Don’t live on the negative things in life because there’s always positive opportunities available with a little bit of thought.
I am a young woman living in a world where there is hate and crime. But since I was young my mother taught me manners in a way that was strong because she learned that from her mother.
If you have been with someone for a long time and they complete your heart, just don’t let them smash your heart into a million pieces because to be able to rebuild that puzzle is difficult.
Being able to build that trust with someone is hard but losing it can happen really quickly. It is really easy to trust someone but trusting the wrong person will make you lose faith in someone that you believe in.
I feel different emotions to everything around me, it’s entirely easy to dislike someone. I struggle on a daily basis but complaining about money problems every moment of your life can make you go into depression. Driving yourself to drink everyday of your life is making your body unhealthy. I have seen from my own experiences what alcohol can do to one self and it is not nice. You might be twenty eight years of age but on the outside you feel fifty years old and your skin starts to age more rapidly.

18 January:

Today started as a good day. No pressure or tension in the air. The air is warm as the warm air brushes over my face I start too notice the sweat already dripping down my forehead at 07:10am. As I am walking towards work, I stand and wait for the office to be open. I knew today was going to be a good day. The day was a bit quiet with a few things to do here and there but no hassle was in front of me. The day got hotter and even more warmer in the afternoon.
One pm came around and I was off for a driving lesson. We did three point turn, reverse and driving back to work. As I returned back to the office, there was a bit of work for me to do.
Tick tock and the day finally came to an end and I was more than happy to go home. I had patiently waited for you to come and fetch me but luckily I never waited long. It took us probably about an hour to get home with all the traffic but we reached home safely.
I know to you it seems as if I don’t listen but you need to understand that I do but hurting me and be very sarcastic is really mean. Yes I understand this is your house and you pay for everything but reminding me every day is making it to me feel like I am not welcome in your home.
I am honestly at a point where I don’t care if you like me or not but I also don’t care what mean things you say to me or about me.
michelle
January, 13 2016 at 6:20 pm
2 year relationship. I moved in with him after 4 months. Going through life changes, my Teenage Sons moved in with their Dad . It made since at the time to move in. He and I both Drink., At first I liked that he didn't complain about me having a nightly glass or bottle of wine... He didn't complain because He drank a 12 pack of corona every night. everything was fine.., until I started asking about the future.. he never wanted to talk, and so I became a nag. this always was the start of each fight. The fighting and name calling got out of hand, I do not want to blame him. I would ask a question such as when can we sit down and look at houses? ( because we were and still are living in an apartment and the lease is was coming to an end. he told every neighbor as he sat outside on the patio,.. YEAH WERE OUTTA OF HERE WHEN THEV LEASE IS UP THIS PLACE HAS GONE TO S***) so me, being a woman of course I want to sit down and talk about where and when we are moving. Just the Question provoked, HUUUUHHHHG Get out of here ! leave me alone, and I would continue complaining and the name calling and then he would start the hands on pushing shaking me never punching me, but would ball his fist up and shake it so close to my face. I learned I couldn't talk to him.. but it got worse. it seemed no matter what I said, it would set him off. I went into the bedroom and got in bed one night, he was asleep, he woke up screaming kicking me and pushing me out of the bed then taking all the blankets off the bed and going to the kitchen got a pot of water and turn the light on in the bedroom and screamed .. I do not even remember what he screamed. I have a framed picture with the quote, NEVER LET YESTERDAY USE UP TODAY. I try to live by this. do to my past this has been hard for me. so I have now am pretty good at letting things go and forgiving. He never says he is sorry. and if I bring anything up which I do not often because its not worth it, he says I do not remember. I remember everything. I moved out in August, things had gotten terrible. we kept seeing each other. We set a wedding date.I moved back in December, everything was fine for about a week.When I asked him are you sure we are getting married on March 19th 2016. he got mad and said F you. I have changed the way I react to him. Now I tell him You can not talk to me like that. he gets mad and ignores me. Since I have moved back in all of the following have taken place. name calling. pushing, ignoring. he has called me an asshole, cunt, bitch, stupid, idiot, just like your mother, you cant pay for anything, ( that is because I quit my job when I moved back in so we could spend weekends together, thinking this would make our relationship better. I am a hair stylist so I have worked almost every weekend since we have been dating. .. Anyhow, Long Story Short, I broke my lease to move back with him. I got my job back and start Tuesday, I want out. This is a mistake,. I love him I wish he would say he is sorry and tell me how much he loves me. I know better than this. I can not change him. but this sucks but , I have 2 legs 2 arms, and it could be worse, I can get over this man and I will. I know God has someone who will love me even if I ask him a question that comes across to be nagging.
keisha
January, 10 2016 at 6:17 pm
My boyfriend for 4 years (father of my son. Has become very verbally abusive. He tells me to do some sit UPS & shave my back and sideburns make myself look like an actual woman. It's hurts my feelings really bad. Sometimes he will say mean things then apologize right after. He calls me stupid and that I'm a little girl. everytime I come acrossed a problem with him. He puts everything back on me. Making fun of where I work. Tells me I need an adult job. Sometimes I question myself with why I stay, its been harder to leave especially with having a son with him. He's 10 years older than me I wonder if that has anything to do with it
Ann
January, 9 2016 at 3:43 pm
For me I think it's a combination of literally being in denial that I'm married to someone like this and continuing to allow myself to get drawn back in when I'm ready to call it quits. I'm always second guessing myself now so that doesn't help either. My confidence is shot. I want to get the hell out of here. If I knew this is how it would be I would have ran for the high hills. There were no "red flags" or If there was I didn't see them. I'm so jealous of what seems like everyone else I know in their loving happy and safe relationships. Reality has hit hard and I'm realizing I have no clue what being loved feels like. I'm starting to get bitter. There's kids involved here too and the longer I stay with this fool the more I hate myself for letting this all happen. I feel like I'm just another statistic, living what I've learned from my parents. And if I don't do something about this fast, my kids will very likely end up the same. I can't tell you how much I wish I had documented all that's happened over the years. I'm dreading the nasty custody battle that he has promised will go down if I try to leave. I've never felt so trapped in my life as I do now.
marie
January, 7 2016 at 10:25 am
My ex boyfriend ( my kids dad) will not leave- previously he has had knifes broken glass up to my throat, i let him stay for 1 night as he was homeless and he will not leave even though he has somewhere to go now- he always puts me down, i have not tidied the house well enough even though i spent all morning cleaning, the washing up is not all done, the worktop is still wet from when i cleaned it, there is a cup in the living room- he winged over every thing and when i try and stick up for myself he shouts at the top of his voice he has got to do everything and i am a lazy worthless bitch and other mean words and chucks plates and cups accross the room which scares me because what he used to be like punching kicking intimidating behavior.
Ocean
December, 27 2015 at 6:46 am
Hi my husband ,if I text him about something he tells me don't bother him and he does not want to see me for the rest of the year also ,when I tell him something about cheating with little girls he tells me I am dreaming these things up and it's not true when I have proof.
Anonymous
December, 24 2015 at 8:29 pm
I live with a narcissist, a misogynistic, an egotistical, insecure individual. Two sides to every story of course but I mince words rarely: The verbal and periodical (pathetic) attempts at physical abuse verge on the edge. He's incredibly successful in his field - on a global level - which is admirable yet he is so very damaged emotionally and when stress hits, he reacts by taking it out on me. The only way to deal with this type if able financially is to stay well away and refuse to accept any shit. It helps to be proficient in martial arts. Every day is a nightmare, listening to his constant complaints as is common with this type of personality. I understand this is the way he communicates. I choose to ignore his negativity and rebuke him every time he basically talks to me as if I'm an employee. I agree with him on most every point to keep the peace, basically scoff at his attempts to draw me into his drama. Stay strong, everyone, in this situation. Gas-lighting a common occurrence. Stuff disappears. Shows up in unexpected places. Best to not react. This type is looking for drama, turning everything around to blame, as narcissists do; using caustic "humor" to harm another as in his casually delivered to this writer earlier today, a 5'2, 110 lb. toned gym rat, "you're too big on top; you look like a linebacker." I responded as one learns to do after hearing daily abuse, "Thank you darling!" His response: "It wasn't a compliment." "I took it as one, love, thank you!" He wasn't amused. Usually his angst is against me, turning the kids against, et cetera. as it has been this last decade in my second marriage with a flawed yet brilliant man. I'd leave, yet I l truly love the sod. His own mother thanks me for staying with him. And where would I go? Even with the means to leave, as I do, it's just too much of a bother with so many rescue animals at hand, kids in college. I'd rather battle this bully despite the stress. He shan't drag me down. Full stop. He knows this and it irritates him to no end. Despite the advice to "get the hell out" from the therapist a few years ago, I am staying despite his efforts to push me away ... even as he swears his love for me. I don't believe. I don't trust. He's lied to me from the get go. I trust my dogs more. Rant over.

A.M.P.
November, 3 2017 at 4:28 pm
Your story and attitude regarding your husband are the closest I’ve seen to mine. My husband is insanely charismatic and successful and has a zillion employees underneath him, as he runs an entire region of a very large, well-known corporation.....so he fancies himself a brilliant God of sales and marketing and the mentor to all of his emoloyees, whom would be completely flabbergasted if they saw the monster beneath the mask who regularly flips out on his wife, for inexplicable slights that are imagined or completely out-of-left-field. How the Hell did I get here? What have I done to myself? I feel like a shadow of the woman I was - just 7 years ago. The gaslighting is UNREAL. He will say something horrible, and 5 seconds later, say that he never said that and I’m a “crazy, bipolar bitch” and a “lying c#?*t” and that EVERYONE thinks that of me....but that no one wants to tell me the truth. I’m sitting in my car in a parking lot, too aftaid to go home because I don’t want to have a verbal bashing begin the minute I walk in. What the heck happened to the amazing man I met who was so kind and supportive and thought I was funny and talented and couldn’t say enough positive things about me? I literally sit and try to figure out when the switch flipped and he decided that he hates everything about me that he used to say that he loved. No point- I know.....but it’s just so crazy when I think about where I was emotionally and mentally when I met him, and where I am now. I wonder if maybe there is truth to what he says sometimes..... I rarely leave the house except to get my son to and from school and doctor appointments and things like that....and my husband is out and about all day, running his zillion facilities. I feel so isolated. I know you probably will not see this comment...I just wanted to message anyway. There. It’s out there now. I can’t say this stuff to anyone else in my world....I’m so embarrassed that THIS is my life and that my husband has said and done horrendous, degrading things to me....and I allowed it and didn’t leave. People’s jaws would hit the floor if they only knew. Are you still with your husband? It’s been a couple of years since your post, so maybe you finally had enough?
Amy
December, 12 2015 at 5:12 pm
I feel like I cant talk to my husband about issues that I would like to bring up for fear that he will just get angry and end up in a fight. He never just sits and listens to what I have to say and contemplate why Im saying what Im saying. He will usually interupt and want "proof" of everything. I dont feel valued or trusted. He doesnt spend time talking with me when he does its always about politics , never about issues at home,, I dont like the way he berates and belittles our kids. useing put downs and insults. He gets angry very easily. I am tired of not having any one to talk to or turn to . I dont feel like I can turn to him for fear of making him angry.
Jessie
December, 6 2015 at 7:56 am
This is exactly my husband to a T. Everyday he has to find something to argue about. Maybe it's the spot I left my purse, or that I didn't make his coffee strong enough. But mostly it's about how he treats the kids. He wants them to clean, he screams at them and threatens them." I'm going to punch your stomach if you don't do this." I stand in the middle and say you do NOT say this to my kids. He then will call my psycho and tell me that I'm the one who is ruining the kids lives. Makes faces at me and tries to imitate me talking. It makes me so angry and usually I'm running to my room crying. He refuses to leave the house ever. Lazy, won't fix or clean the house up. Leaves dishes and cans of soda all over the place. We have been in counceling for a few months. Each time I go with him he claims he's going to change and that he loves me, etc. however things never change. When I bring up things like the councelor said this, he's quick to say he did not, and I'm maki g up fantasies or that's not what the councelor meant.im frustrated and angry. I resent even meeting him and having children with him.
Gail
November, 23 2015 at 1:19 pm
Hi am I been reading thru all these bad things and am going thu the same at the min just woundering what people shud think I cud do please
Kat
November, 11 2015 at 3:52 pm
I think when words are exchanged between people and these words are of a malice nature with intent to hurt then it's pretty obvious that it's abuse. Telling someone to ease up on a particular behaviour is not necessarily abusive but if you throw some personal slings in there it can be. Your putting that person down while your telling them to shape up. Not having someone's best interests at heart while advocating for their behaviours to change or be addressed eg depression mental illness etc can be cause for an assumption of abuse. It's very easily defined one from the other. Just take into consideration the intent. It's either for help or harm. I think we are all adult enough to really deep down spot the difference.
Stephen
November, 11 2015 at 4:02 am
I have hurt people's feelings by telling them their constant complaining and fault finding was dragging me down and making me not want to spend time with them. That doesn't make me abusive. At the same time, people have hurt my feelings by saying that they thought I needed to go on medication because my depression/anxiety was getting out of control. There is a big difference between talking down to someone and belittling them and confronting them on their actions/behavior. Just because you have hurt feelings doesn't necessarily mean you are being abused. If someone is calling you names and putting you down, that is a totally different story. That is abusive.
Stephen
November, 10 2015 at 9:51 am
Verbal abuse and setting limits with people and confronting them on their bad behavior, ect. are def not the same thing. I realize each situation is different, but some of these statements are dicey and a fine line and others are clearly verbal abuse. There have been times in my life where people had to be tough with me in a reasonable way and times I had to be tough and confront others. I think we live in a world where we expect everyone to go along with whatever we want to do, say, have.....and any deviation from that or any confrontation is seen as "mean" or "abusive." I went through true, real abuse and it is not fun to put in mildly. Not getting your way or someone refusing to tolerate your constant negativity/complaining has been called abuse by some. It's not. We need to be kind to one another but we also need to grow up and take responsibility for ourselves and our actions. Just because someone has called you out on something you do that you need to change, and then you feel badly or bad about yourself, that does not mean you are being abused. It can be very complicated and dicey is what I am saying.

Kellie Jo Holly
November, 10 2015 at 12:12 pm
I don't think it's that complicated at all. If someone typically hurts your feelings (or your body) when you're with him or her, then the behavior is abusive.
BB
October, 14 2015 at 1:34 am
Constant verbal abuse making me feel inadequate....im working partner isnt and stays at his home 24/7 expecting me to always go to his... he has finacial probs and always makes excuses why we dont go out even if its for a walk....when I spend time with him and after buying shopping and cooking his meals he finds fault with everything I do....I recently had an operation which has made me put on a little weight.. he uses this and when we have words he says he doesnt go out with big women and calls me a fat cxxt!!! My size is 14 but have tummy probs...I am happy with me and work but when he starts on me I feel so inadequate and confidence drops...ive done everything to support him in his bad times but im now feeling why do I bother.....but for some strange reason I cant walk away...we been together 3 yrs we are a mature couple...I have my own house job...he lives alone with no job money!!! How can I walk away without feeling guilty of abandoning him when he needs me....he has pushed family and friends away
Sophie
October, 3 2015 at 9:27 am
I have tried detachment. He says he's not done yelling at me until I cry because I'm not learning my lesson. I think of my dog dying and cry. I just saw how abusers can twist things and victim blame. He tells me it's all my fault. I just can't talk because everything I say upsets him. He twists everything. I have 14 yrs of absurd stories of things that have made him scream and berate me. I'm disabled and stuck. He also says if I leave he will kill himself and he can blackmail me in a way that will ruin my life, even though not true. I don't understand how anyone can be that cruel. I think he enjoys how he can push me around verbally and emotionally and then get me to say I was wrong and comfort him.
Karen
October, 3 2015 at 12:54 am
P.S.S. He says I am paranoid, but whenever i believe him, i was right to be paranoid, and convinced myself otherwise, because he said so. Oh, one more thing, "it's all my fault he cannot retire. If I was still working, then he could quit." DG brings it up almost nightly
Karen
October, 3 2015 at 12:52 am
I am still in my 35 year physically, verbally, emotionally abusive relationship. After reading ALL 284 POSTS, I realize that now, I have become the abuser/victim and he is abuser/victim. I do believe THAT started the da I decided I was not taking anymore of his shit, and I refused to ever apologize again for anything I did not do, just to make HIM feel better. I also told him, we would never call me an effing c u next tuesday, ever again. Or any other name. (Apparently, insane, crazy, fucking insane, fucking crazy are not bad names, YES THEY ARE, and that will stop.
I also explained to him that I was going to do what ever I wanted to do. That's what he does. Why is it ok for him, but not for me? It is not. And last but not least, EVERYTHING HE DOES TO ME, I WILL DO TO HIM. AND I HAVE. and he has learned what it feels like. When he learns this, lesson over, and we move on. Things are better than they were, a lot better, but WHEN HE GETS DRUNK (5nights out of seven) he starts in on me. He is osomeone else. I call him DG. (drunk guy) DG is MEAN, and violent, and hateful, resentful, disgusting mother effer. we go at it. doors mirrors wallls smashed, thrown on the floor screamed at punched once, punched at :100 x's Now, all of a sudden, he's very very sweet and nice and helpful and charming and blah blah blah, and instead of liking it, I am VERY NERVOUSE and concerned about it. WHY? Why all of a sudden. ANd I mean 360 degree flip, people. what do you think he is up to. NEVER BEEN THIS SWEET IN 35 YEARS. I am suspicious...but then again, I am crazy insane. He said I was. it must be true, because he never lies or does anything wrong, ever. You see why I am suspicious.
OH OH AND HE wants a name of a counselor that can help him "with mw" oh, and for him. Very anxious about getting a number of someone to "help" What do you ladies and gentlemen think?

P.S. I am in heart failure from all the stress. and he has not taken good care of me at all. as you can see above, yes these incidents are while I have been quite ill, I also have severe major depression, high anxiety panic attacks, (add adhd, non medicated, can you tell??;D) COPD, CARDIOMYOPATHY, CARDIOMEGALY, REYNAUDS< RSD, Carpal Tunnel, Perpheral neuropathy, OSTEoporosis like an 80 yr old woman (54) and DJD, and TA DA!.....My spine is collapsing and crushing me with much pain and i refuse pain pills. I have lost 4 inches in my height in 2 years.

so back to the suspicious behavior? TELL ME.............eagerly awaiting to hear what you have to say... Thank you so much for listening/reading

Kellie Jo Holly
October, 4 2015 at 11:50 am
I can't get into your husband's head to know what he is thinking. However, this sounds like an effort to "keep the peace" until he can figure out how to get to you again. He doesn't want you to leave him (abusers never do).

When he starts in again (and he will), it will be a surprise to you, just as it was in the beginning. 35 years of ugliness doesn't change overnight. Even with therapy, he would mess up now and again. He is ALWAYS in control of his emotions, or at least the emotions he shows to you. Being "sweet" is no different from being ugly. But he needs to keep you around until he figures out new ways to torture you.

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could thrown him.
Jenny
September, 27 2015 at 8:13 pm
I have been with my now husband for almost 3 years. He blames me for everything. He says that I opened the doors with verbal and physical abuse. I feel like in the beginning I did. I would cuss and physically abuse him. I don't do that now and it's been a while since I've called him any names. He continues to physically and verbally abuse me. He says I'm worthless and dumb. He tells me to find someone else and that I can do better than him. He puts me on this guilt trip and says that I make him say these things to me because I won't "stfu". If I tell him I'm leaving he apologizes and makes promises not to call me names but as soon as he is upset I'm a "bitch" or a "ratchet". He usually doesn't apologize but I have to make him in order for us to "move on". He says I am taking advantage of him bc I am not working full time and he's paying the bills. He calls me controlling and blames me for the slightest thing. Then other days we are "in love" like nothing has ever happened between us and like if we can't live with out each other. It's confusing to me. Like if I'm a yoyo. Sometimes I wish I was somewhere else and the very thought of it scares me. I don't want a failed marriage and nobody knows we have these issues. He is a good man when he wants to be:a total sweetheart but I'm the "psycho" "illogical ho". I'm just really scared of waking up at 45 and being in the same boat I'm in now. Recently, I got back into doing bible studies and he said to me "I see those bible studies are not helping you" he says I'm the "devil". Just today he threw my bible at me and told me to go read my verses. He also told me he hates being married to me and that he doesn't give a shit about me. Later in the day he acted like nothing went down today. It's crazy how someone can go on like if they did nothing wrong and expect you to be the same way. I am hurting inside but if I bring this up to him he just shrugs so I don't say anything anymore.
Rachel
September, 27 2015 at 7:11 am
Im not sure if this is abuse or not but we have a good day and are bad but when there bad there really bad like today. He had a bad head so bit took the kids downstairs to keep then quiet in the morning made breakfast and so on. After a hour or so he came down so I went upstairs to open the curtains and make the beds. That's when I found out he masterbaited so I confronted him said why when you have me he then blew up at me shouting horrible thing and said I'm just a fat lazy selfish bitch. It got me upset and he then said oh look going all upset now. Anyway all day iv just cleaned the house and fed the kids. But I can't stop thinking about the words he said it makes me upset and angry. He has a short fuse as it is and it making me hate him but I do like the good days we have. What do I do i love him and have 4 children with him but if in leave I know he will spread things about me stalk me or even take me kids away some how. Please is this verbal abuse or is it me just being silly and over thinking things and let him get on with it.
Alyssa
September, 19 2015 at 11:51 pm
I have been with my boyfriend for over 7 years. Three years ago I wanted to marry him and today there is a piece of me that says don't do it. He calls me lazy and fat. And has told me before in the past that he can't marry me before I learn to be a housewife. He says I can't cook and clean and that I don't make enough money. That I should go and get a better job. He has done this for 5 years. I just kept thinking I'll get better or he'll get better. 4 years ago he left bruises on my chest. I could see his hand there for a week. He has made my teeth bleed from slapping me. He has pushed me down. More bruises in many different areas. Always saying that he barely touched me or that I bruise easily. And he has given me a black eye. Saying that it was a reflex and he was saying but I caused it. Many nights he comes home and just gets upset about the house being dirty and me not doing enough of anything. So instead of helping me he plays games and sits there not having done a thing beside make me feel like I'm the problem. And maybe I am. I'm 28 and have no kids and he brings up the fact that I'm never horny and not fertile. I'm going crazy and I need advice. Call me nuts but I love him. God help me I love him still.

Kellie Jo Holly
September, 22 2015 at 1:30 pm
Alyssa, abuse warps our idea of love. http://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/verbalabuseinrelationships/2011/01/verbal-abuse-disguised-as-love/ Contact a support group and go to the meetings. Your isolation and his brainwashing are doing you a disservice. Hugs to you, Alyssa.
Jasmine
September, 13 2015 at 4:54 am
I'm in a relationship ship. Marriage. We've been together since 15. He was my knight in shining armor who turned around and has killed dme with the blade that once saved me. His words cur me like knives. I'm ugly fat disgusting a whore a bitch a skank. I have only had sex with one person. I'm too shy to even talk to other guys. I hate my life and if I didn't have kids I would leave. But what am I suppose to do. He had two domestic violence charges when we were 18. We're 27 now. The pain I'm feeling these days is like no other. I feel the same as i did when i was a teen. Alone and depressed hurt by some one who is suppose to live me. He hates me but won't let me leave. I just don't understand. He made me take a lie detector test when we were 19 I passes ofcourse and he said I cheated on it. He says he hates our kids andbthir wotlrthless females. I wish he would die somehow or leave so I could be free. I will never be free if he is here. I hate my fucking life. I hate my fucking life. I have cried so much I have no more tears. I'm sick of trying to explain to my girls why thier daddy is a mean person and why he is so grumpy. I wish I would have given them a better family. FML

Kellie Jo Holly
September, 13 2015 at 11:46 am
Jasmine,

It's never too late to change your mind.
Jojo
September, 10 2015 at 8:16 pm
I was in a verbal and physical abusive relationship most of the time I stand up and try to leave but he somehow draws me back he takes my money before bill are due he take my car calls me names i have had blackeyes swollen lips and have been k.o before he makes me call myself names and I am afraid of him I was so in love with him that I sleped on the floor but it make u feel like you have no morals self respect or anything I moved in with him and it was hell waiting on the next paycheck then I'm leaving and throwing away my phone cause he always calls and threatens me lady's got to have more respect for yourself don't go through what I'm going through just cause he feeds you bath and talk about stuff that's not real don't mean u fall in love it makes u stronger when you run away from it and learn from bit these type of ppl can and will kill u get away while u can this isn't healthy
Robin
September, 1 2015 at 4:04 pm
I have been in a relationship for almost two years. My boyfriend is a hard worker and very fun to be with also very loving most of the time. Are relationship has been stormy from the beginning. When we fight he says that I am a controlling bitch and I beat him down, there are times he calls me cunt. He says very hurtful things when we fight and he becomes very angry. I am starting to feel like maybe there is something wrong with me, I know that his behavior is not normal I get right back in his face when he talks to me like that. He's says I like to fight which is so not true. But I will not be talked to that way by anyone. Am I wrong? Should I seek help for myself?

Kellie Jo Holly
September, 2 2015 at 12:03 pm
I'm not a therapist or doctor, but in my opinion, what you're doing sounds like me in the beginning of my abusive relationship. I thought I was sticking up for myself, not letting him speak to me that way. He also asked me things along the line of "Do you just want to fight?" as if I did want to fight. What he was really saying was "As long as you stand up for yourself in this way, I have an excuse to abuse you!"

Robin, I would seek help for yourself. It isn't because you're overreacting or being a bitch, but because you are in an abusive relationship. A counselor could help you see the truth of what is going on, which will make you more intolerant of his behavior. My hope is that you leave now before wasting two decades with an abuser like I did.
Victoria
August, 28 2015 at 5:56 am
Ok, so what are you going to do in this situation? You know pretty well that he is abusing you and reading your post I think that you should leave him straight away. More than that, you can even demand compensation for your injury, having medical records of that. I have just finished writing an e-book about abuse and there are some tips about smart leaving the abuser there. Don't wait until he starts hitting you again. Enough is enough. Take action and leave him, for your good sake. Good luck
Trish
August, 28 2015 at 1:36 am
Hi I stumbled onto this site trying to find some help for myself. I have been married to a nightmare for 8 1/2 years. Acording to him I shouldn't aggrivate him. I will just say that on our 1 st month anniversary he gave a collapsed lung lacerated spleen broken rib broken orbital socket three broken bones on my spinal cord.(you know you may be in trouble when a hospital med a VAC's you to another hospital) leval 2 trauma. All he kept saying was that I'm so fragile and barely touched me. REALLY!!? IT DIDNTf eel THAT WAY. I spent 11days in ICU and another 6 months of trying to overcome the physical pain. All I have suffered since then is another broken rib,quite a few black eyes ,bruises here and there. Damn how stupid am I . he is now verbally abusing me and threating me. I wont even be talking and he will say if I don't stop aggravating him he is going to kill me. Also he hit me . its been a couple years since he hit me but now that he has started physically abusing Again I think I need to find a way out. I am an idiot. I am mentally exhausted. I find myself so depressed that I can barely function. Would Seine please direct me in a path that will help me. Thanks trish
Mark
July, 30 2015 at 4:14 am
Michelle,
Do you love him or the idea of him?
Before you quickly say "I love him!" keep in mind you came to a website about verbal abuse and typed a long story about how he's still essentially a controlling jerk from across the world. Believe me I understand, it's easier to stay in a relationship and "try to make it work" because there are still feelings there. You didn't get together if there weren't. The problem is the person you love should make you feel good about yourself, not call you names. And while everyone has their bad days, they should not be EVERY DAY. And to end a hateful text with "love you" is as classic a verbally abusive text as there ever was, giving you just enough bait to keep you hopeful.
You said you hoped someone read your story. I read it. I empathized with it. I hope you find the strength in yourself to see your worth and give yourself to someone who deserves it. It's clearly not him. From how you've written about him he comes across as a hothead who joined the armed forces because he loves to play soldier and talk big. When you leave him, (you will, right?) you will see just how ridiculously off the wall he'll get. He'll call you names. He'll say you're worthless. He'll scream and cry like the little toddler playing soldier that he is. He may eventually even say he'll change. Do not buy into this. He's made zero effort to change. There's a part of him you like. Fine. Go find someone who's got a whole person to like. Or don't. Better yet, just be with yourself. Work on yourself. Consider today a clean slate. He does not exist. You are Michelle the Awesome. Michelle the Strong. Michelle the Independent.
You do not want to raise children with a person who disrespects the one he loves like this. He should be missing you not dissing you. Boy's gotta grow up, but not with you. Easier said than done I know but now's the time. No one will fault you for staying, and frankly it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Take a look at yourself and ask "am I the person I want to be? And will I be that person with him?"
Good luck Michelle. Please know at least one person is pulling for you.
andrea
July, 20 2015 at 8:25 pm
i was with my abuser for 12 years, we had three beautiful children, that was the only thing beautiful about that relationship, it took me all of 12 years to leave him, after many broken noses, fractured skull, black eyes, head, ect.. and the most worst verbal abuse possible, i finally left, i fled to africa with a friend who lives here, but my ex took my kids from me, and refused me to speak to them until i come back home to him, i thought he was going to kill me last time, that is why i fled, i had no help, and no other options, he is a very good manipulator, and he told me that the judge granted him custody of my boys and that the judge put a no contact order out on me from my kids, those kids are my life, i need them more than i need air, i dream of them every night, and i pray to god their little hearts are not broken, when you have no money, and no one that even cares to help at all, you just feel like giving up sometimes, i don't know what will be worse, going back to him, just so i can be with my kids, or dying here in africa. I do however feel 1000000 percent better since i left my ex, i feel free, and not in constant fear all the time, life was complete hell in that relationship, i had taken an epo out on him, and got child support and everything, but ,,, he still kept coming around me, and would come in my house at night and take pictures of me, ahh it's a long story, and just a huge mess, i wish to god i just had my kids with me here, and my life would finally be perfect. please anyone who reads this, just pray for me, keep me and my boys in your prayers that one day me and my boys will be together. good luck to all out there suffering as I do.
Countess
July, 16 2015 at 11:17 am
My boyfriend has said things close to the ones in the list. He also calls me a miserable bitch ,nobody likes me cuz im a bitch,that i need to tell my dr to up the dose of my meds cuz they arent helping,saying it all in front of our daughter . Hes said alot worse things in front of her as well as spit on me while we were arguing . Somehow he manages to turn it around n make it feel like im the bad one n i deserve what he says n does. He also threatens to take my daughter every time we are talking about breaking up . He always says "why do i even try" when we are fighting. But he never has tried to comfort me,apologize , reassure me,none of it. And still,i wind up feeling like everything is my fault. I know we should just end it,but it hurts my heart just thinking about it. Reading these have helped me not feel so alone. Thank you for that
K
July, 12 2015 at 5:17 am
I stumbled upon this website because I am finally fed up with my situation. I have been with the same guy for three years and been going through hell almost every step of the way. Long story short I was adopted and I've always had abandonment issues . I notice I I stumbled upon this website because I am finally fed up with my situation. I have been with the same guy for three years and been going through hell almost every step of the way. Long story short I was adopted and I've always had a couple months ago I seem to get in these relationships and make them completely about the guy and now I am 25 have not finished college or anything good because I have made nothing but my life about relationships since I was 18 .I have been in three major relationships the first two were not abusive but we just didn't work however this relationship I am in now is the most abusive relationship I have ever been in. For the first time yesterday I called the suicide hotline. My car got stolen and the first thing my boyfriend is after I told him was hang up tell me I was annoying . I have been in three major relationships the first two were not abusive but we just didn't work however this relationship I am in now is the most abusive relationship I have ever been in. For the first time yesterday I called the suicide hotline. My car got stolen and the first thing my boyfriend is after I told him was hang He had went out of town with his friends for a wedding and asked me to pick him up so I did since I still had his car .

They got in the car and did not say a word so I asked him why he couldn't say hi which is something I frequently say to people he blew up on me he had a pocket knife in his hand at the Graham had given him and all the groomsmen from the wedding he pulled out the pocketknife and had opened up right and was yelling at me telling me I was worthless, I was lazy, I was a bitch all while I was driving his car home they got in the car and did not say a word so I asked him why he couldn't say hi which is something I frequently say to people he blew up on me he had a pocket knife in his hand at the Graham had given him and all the groomsmen from the wedding he pulled out the pocketknife and had opened up right and was yelling at me telling me I was worthless, I was lazy, I was a bitch . I was so hurt by this because I had just lost my car and then basically lost my boyfriend. I have completely made my life about him and his child that he had before I was in the picture and the fact that I couldn't even get him to be there for me for the second time was too much. The last time I got a car repossessed for financial reasons . He refused to help me and left me in I was so hurt by this because I had just lost my car and then basically lost my boyfriend. I have completely made my life about him and his child that he had before I was in the picture and the fact that I couldn't even get him to be there for me for the second time was too much. The last time I got a the house with no food, or anything and would come home from work get dressed and go hang out with his friends . I had no ride anywhere and no food to eat or money and had to call other people to help me because he refused to even look my direction that was only a couple months ago now this time my car gets stolen and he has decided to avoid me at all cost and anything I say he tells me I am stupid and gets upset and leave the house . And he is happy he tells me he will support and take care of us because he makes well then enough and when he's mad he will literally starve me to death and leave me to dry .things are good they're great and when they're bad I feel like dying like I should just jump off a bridge because I have done nothing with my life but have relationships. But after this weekend and reading these post I have decided that I need to just deal with my broken heart and move forward and out of this relationship. The suicide hotline yesterday gave me some numbers to call for shelter and help . I am calling them now . I know I'm not alone and that the way he acts is not right . Things are good they're great and when they're bad I feel like dying like I should just jump off a bridge because I have done nothing with my life but have relationships. But after this weekend and reading these post I have decided that I need to just deal with my broken heart and move forward and out of this relationship. The suicide hotline yesterday gave me some numbers to He also likes to try to tell me to move out of the house whenever he gets mad which finding out recently that I have to pression is a lot for me and it does make me feel very anxious and nervous and have anxiety attacks and he knows this yet he still does not seem to care and tells me that my feelings are just that feelings and it's not a big deal. I do not know how I got into this verbally abusive relationship . But I am going to miss the good times but I guess t he also likes to try to tell me to move out of the house whenever he gets mad which finding out recently that I have to pression is a lot for me and it does make me feel very anxious and nervous and have anxiety attacks and he knows this yet he still does not seem to care and tells me that my feelings are just that feelings and it's not a big deal hey are gone already . I cry every day and am sad all the time and to top it off I have no children and I figured that the fact that I was willing to except that he has a child and to help out with this kid that that would make him love me I am seeing now but that's not making him do anything but hate me and not appreciate me because when he is mad the first thing he says is I don't do anything for his son . I am so sad and just need to figure it out .
Karen
July, 7 2015 at 10:33 am
I'm so sad all of the above

Kellie Jo Holly
July, 7 2015 at 10:37 am
Karen, visit http://www.thehotline.org/ and call or chat with the volunteers. They can give you information about where to get local help. Plus, they'll listen to you vent. Or cry. <3