Introduction to Melissa David, Author of 'Life with Bob'

February 20, 2017 Melissa David

Hi, I’m Melissa, and I parent a child with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD), and anxiety. I am many things. I’m a clinical social worker in Minnesota. I am a writer and a gamer. I am a fan of cats, and I’m a bit of a geek. I am a parent of two beautiful children. And, yes, one of them happens to have a mental illness.

Parenting a Child with Mental Illness

I like to tell people my son came out of the womb hyperactive. He arrived three weeks early and raring to go. He hit all his milestones early, including walking at 11 months and running by 12 months. He spoke in full sentences by 15 months and hasn’t really stopped talking since. I would go on outings with friends and I’d wonder what was wrong with their children. Those kids sat down for entire meals and listened to their parents. They never ran away or got lost in crowds. They slept.

Melissa David, author of "Life with Bob", parents a child with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Learn about parenting a mentally ill child.Don’t get me wrong. My son is brilliant, funny, perceptive, and loving. Nonetheless, it gets lonely parenting a child with mental illness. Finding childcare is rough. Sleepovers and playdates are few and far between. He can’t handle after school activities because making it through the school day is hard enough. There’s no sports, or Boy Scouts, or music lessons. There are psychiatry appointments, though, therapists, and social workers.

It’s a unique road to travel, and that’s why I’m excited to write this blog. I could’ve used (could still use) a community where peoples' children are like mine. I hope you find solace here or, at the very least, some helpful advice. I hope those with “typical” children read this blog and gain empathy and understanding for kids like mine. You know the ones: the boy you can hear screaming from a mile away, the girl who got overly aggressive with your child at that birthday party, or the one that knocked over everything in your house while bouncing off your couches. Those aren’t the “bad kids” or the “weird kids.” They’re just kids, and we love them.

More About Melissa David of 'Life with Bob'

Find Melissa on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.

David, M. (2017, February 20). Introduction to Melissa David, Author of 'Life with Bob', HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, July 16 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/parentingchildwithmentalillness/2017/02/introduction-to-melissa-david

Author: Melissa David

Melissa David is a mother based out of Minnesota. She has two young children, one of whom struggles with mental illness.The support and wisdom of other parents proved invaluable to her in raising both her children; and so she hopes to pay it forward to other parents via Life With Bob. You can find her on Facebook and Twitter.

Walda Presnell
November, 30 2018 at 10:56 pm
I think you’re going to be the reason I don’t lose my mind. To know my son is not the only one like this is, at this point, a true God send. Thank you so much!
Annie
November, 25 2018 at 1:12 pm
Melissa - reading your blog almost brought tears to my eyes, it could have been about our son and our family. I’m so glad that I found it, thank you for sharing your story. We too have ADHD/ DMDD (very recently diagnosed). I am curious how old your son is, and now that you have him on meds - I guess my question is... where are we going from here... I dont want to get ahead of ourselves (but i am), I’m just worried about the future, teenage years, college, a job, etc. the DMDD diagnosis is a new one in the community as you know and I’d love some insight from others with more experience. My son is 10. Thank you.
Kelly
October, 14 2018 at 12:11 am
Has your son ever been hospitalized or partial day program?
October, 21 2018 at 9:51 pm
He has done both. I don't know if his story is a common one, but hospitalization was basically the best thing to happen to him. It finally got us the supports we needed. Partial hospitalization was a nice step down, and the timing worked where he went from the hospital, to partial hospitalization, and back into school when it started in the Fall.
Sandy
September, 30 2018 at 10:20 pm
Hi Melissa,
Which antipsychotic medicine is usually prescribed for DMDD?
Sandy
October, 21 2018 at 10:01 pm
There are several, and it's worth talking to the psychiatrist who works with your child. It's dependent on that doctor, your child's needs, etc. You can find some information here: https://www.healthyplace.com/bipolar-disorder/bipolar-medications/antipsychotic-medications-list-list-of-mood-stabilizers
Becky Cox
September, 18 2018 at 7:15 am
Hi there, I am really in the thick of a new ADHD and DMDD diagnosis of my 10 year old son. I am at the end of rope with how best care for my son. I have an appointments with a psychiatrist (scheduled but not seen) councilor, pediatrician. We have him on Ritalin. Issues at school and generally angry and irritable mood prevails. Any help you can give me would be wonderful!
September, 19 2018 at 7:56 pm
It all starts with those appointments! Make sure to connect with the school, too, and ask for help. I look at each provider or resources as a branch to one or more additional resources. We just gotta keep reaching out for help.
Meagan
July, 23 2018 at 10:09 am
Wondering how you are doing, we have a lot in common including the child and the gaming, would love to hear from you.
Melissa David
July, 23 2018 at 10:15 am
I'm doing well, thanks! It has definitely been a positive of this blogging experience to see how many parents have experienced similar things that my family has. It's nice not to be alone!
Susan
May, 6 2017 at 4:03 pm
You make no mention of a PANDAS diagnosis. I wonder why?

Marie