How to Handle Self-Esteem Setbacks
Setbacks are a part of life and the impact they have depends on how you handle them. You may experience setbacks when building your self-esteem or when recovering from mental illness. Something might happen, or you may find yourself slipping back into old habits. A self-esteem setback can be damaging and can cause you to spiral downwards if you let it. It’s a critical time to take action.
It’s important to recognise the warning signs of a self-esteem setback and act as soon as possible. The quicker you act, the better. Get the support you need and don’t be afraid to seek professional help if you need it.
Points to Remember When Handling Self-Esteem Setbacks
- Self-esteem setbacks are expected. Everyone experiences setbacks at some point. Life has both ups and downs and stumbling blocks are a part of your journey.
- You’re moving forwards. While a self-esteem setback might throw you off track, the general direction is forward. Acknowledge the progress you’ve made and give yourself permission to keep on going. It’s helpful to remind yourself that you’re doing well.
- You haven’t failed. A setback is not a failure. It’s not an easy road and you’ve done well to get this far. That’s a success. You’ve made good progress regardless of the setback.
- Be kind to yourself. Nobody’s perfect and we all stumble. Self-care is particularly crucial at this time.
- You will get through this. A self-esteem setback is temporary and it will pass.
- Learn from the experience. Think of a setback as a growth opportunity. Ask yourself what the setback is telling you and what you can learn from it. The wisdom you gain will make you even stronger and more prepared for future challenges.
Most importantly, realise that a self-esteem setback is not the end of the world. Be kind to yourself, learn from the experience and get back on track as soon as possible.
Tips on Handling Self-Esteem Setbacks
In this self-esteem video, I talk about self-esteem setbacks and how you can manage them.
Agathangelou, F. (2015, February 3). How to Handle Self-Esteem Setbacks, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2020, March 30 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/buildingselfesteem/2015/02/how-to-handle-setbacks