Funny In The Head Goes Hollywood
There are times when Hollywood resembles nothing more closely than a sheltered workshop for anxiety-wracked individuals wrestling with mental health issues.
Desperate hopefuls, burned out wannabes, wipe down marble tops in sleek martini bars and valet park Ferraris on the boulevard. When home at last, worn smooth as old shoes, they spoon baked beans out from a can and wonder; how long can I do this before I go quite mad?
Ironically, there are very few movies showcasing the profound, emotional struggle faced by those valiant souls who battle, and ultimately vanquish, mental illness. However, that didn’t prevent me from tracking down some of the very best ones. Now comes the fun part. How many of them can you identify from the signature dialogue snippets listed below? [Note: There is an answer key at the bottom of the page.]
What Movies Do These Signature Lines Come From?
[Hint: Each movie addresses an important mental health/recovery theme.]
1. "You can't handle the diagnosis!"
2. "Forget it, Jake, it's Cookoopantsatopolis-town.”
3. "We’re gonna need a bigger chicken."
4. "Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a namd."
5. "I’ve always relied on the kindness of space aliens."
6. "May the coverage be with you."
7. "I see dumb people."
8. "There is no crying in Whackadoomia!”
9. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she trips, stumbles, and falls into mine."
10."Drop the hint, take the cannoli."
11."I love the smell of Lithium in the morning, it smells like posmondilism."
12."I’m mad as a Tasmanian leaf hopper and I’m not going to take it anymore.”
13."Show me the insurance card!"
14."Gee Tonto, I don’t think we’re teaching Esperanto in Toronto anymore."
15."Alright Mr. Coupe DeVille, I’m ready for my cheese-dip.”
1. A Few Good Patients
3. Jaws 11: The Overeaters Anonymous Story
4. Gone With The Dyslexic
5. A Streetcar Named Out Of Order
6. Price Wars
7. Nothing Succeeds Like Sick Sense
8. A Demented League Of Their Own
9. On The Road To Recovery
11.Apocalypse Now & Then
14.The Dead Poet’s Society In Canada
See you at the movies! Remember - Stay in focus!
McHarg, A. (2011, September 7). Funny In The Head Goes Hollywood, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, September 25 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/funnyinthehead/2011/09/funny-in-the-head-goes-hollywood
Author: Alistair McHarg
Alister - you left out my favorite: "Am I talking to me?" From the famous director Marty Scorcrazys, "Dissociative Taxi Driver"
Bravo! Wish I'd thought of that one! Thanks for visiting, and commenting.