Increase Focus with This One Minute Meditation
Does the term meditation make you instantly seize up? I do. I'm guessing I'm not alone on this one.
And yet meditation really can help ease the symptoms of anxiety and other various mental health issues, including the common one of struggling with focus. Hmm. What to do? How about making the act of meditating easier and shorter? Short is good.
You Can Do Anything for One Minute, Including Meditation
- Set a timer for one minute (use your phone) -- One minute meditating can seem like forever. But we can endure almost anything for one minute -- a mere 60 seconds. Science tells us this must be true.
- Sit or stand comfortably -- If sitting, rest your hands on your thighs or in your lap.
- Take a deep breath -- Blow it out slowly and as completely as you can.
- Focus on your breathing -- When breathing in, tell yourself, "I'm breathing in." Breathing out say, "I'm breathing out."
- Label thoughts -- Here's the hard part, but only for one minute. Your attention will wander away from your breath, perhaps instantly. When you notice this, focus it back on your breath. How long you can focus on your breathing is completely irrelevant.
- Quit when the timer goes off -- Don't think about it again until the next time.
- Repeat 1-2 times per day.
- Bonus tip -- Actually use a timer. It makes it more real, yet somehow more endurable.
Doing this once a day makes you a rock star. Doing it twice a day makes you a godlike, super, rock star. I know which one I'd rather be. Do you?
Okay, you're right. Being a rock star is plenty.
Weber, G. (2014, October 2). Increase Focus with This One Minute Meditation, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, January 20 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/treatinganxiety/2014/10/increase-focus-with-this-one-minute-meditation
Author: Greg Weber
I honestly do not know where the loneliness comes from. I have a husband and a son. Why does it arise? It is horrendous. Any tips to zap it?
I love the one minute meditation! I can do it when I always get distracted before.
Love this "hack". I used to meditate 15 minutes every day but just couldn't find time for that anymore. This One Minute Meditation looks great for my emergency anxiety toolkit! Thank you!