30 Quick Ways to Stop Worrying and Get Anxiety Relief Now
Imagine being able to stop worrying and find anxiety relief, even for a moment. Sometimes those moments bring a sense of peace and calm, allowing you to feel happy that your anxious thoughts, feelings, and experiences are leaving you alone. The quiet space is a reminder that, despite how it can seem, the work you're doing to move past anxiety and worries will pay off. In the meantime, there are times when your anxiety may spike and you just need a way to relieve anxiety and stop worrying now, in the moment. Here are 30 little ways to help you find relief when you need it.
Why These Little Tricks Can Stop Worrying and Relieve Anxiety
These 30 activities target the nature of your anxiety at any given moment. Because of the way we experience anxiety changes from one experience to the next, you'll find a variety of quick actions to meet anxiety at its current source.
Some involve the senses and thus are mindfulness-based. Others are physical and are useful when you notice increased tension in your body. Still others involve the digestive system and stopping anxiety by giving yourself a boost of energy and nutrition. You'll see, too, that some stimulate your mind to shift your thinking while others calm your mind and quiet anxieties.
Feel free to pick and choose, selecting activities that appeal to you and target your unique anxiety. Find what works, and use it to stop worries and reduce anxiety.
30 Things to Do to Stop Worrying and Get Anxiety Relief
- Chew gum or suck on hard candy; pay attention to the texture and flavor.
- Scribble quickly, perhaps to music.
- Play I Spy.
- Drink a glass of water.
- Bounce a ball. Count the bounces or just listen to the sound.
- Climb stairs.
- Breathe deeply and slowly.
- Eat a healthy snack high in protein and/or complex carbohydrates.
- Draw your anxiety. Discard it.
- Tense and relax your muscles.
- Repeat an affirmation.
- Think of or spot someone and smile.
- Laugh at a funny video clip.
- Stop and smell the roses (pause to enjoy something).
- Drink a cup of calming tea like lavender or chamomile.
- Play with a pet or animals at a shelter.
- Go someplace nearby that you enjoy.
- Set the mood with lighting, pleasing scents, and favorite items.
- Punch pillows or box using a punching bag.
- Write down a worry, study it, and smile as it shrinks in power and importance.
- Bake or cook.
- Play solitaire.
- Watch a favorite movie or show.
- Make lists: Favorite books, places you'd like to visit, memories, types of flowers, dog breeds, etc.
- Touch something, feeling the shape, temperature, weight, and texture.
- Finger paint.
- Take a shower or bath.
- Talk to a friend about nothing important.
The more you do when you need your worries to stop, the more anxiety relief you'll find. Actions speak louder than worries.
Peterson, T. (2019, May 23). 30 Quick Ways to Stop Worrying and Get Anxiety Relief Now, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, June 3 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/anxiety-schmanxiety/2019/5/30-quick-ways-to-stop-worrying-and-get-anxiety-relief-now
Author: Tanya J. Peterson, MS, NCC, DAIS
I love these simple and practical suggestions for many reasons, but largely because it shows little things can be so powerful at stopping anxiety in its tracks! Love the I spy game suggestion, and noticing things like color and texture. Stopping the anxiety spiral doesn't have to be a massive process. Little tricks like this are so empowering.
Thanks Lizanne. I find that in so many areas of life, simple things are often best!