Diabetes Information Overview
Definition of diabetes, types of diabetes, impact of diabetes, populations at risk for diabetes covered here.
What Is Diabetes?
- a disorder of metabolism—the way the body uses or converts food for energy and growth
What Are the Main Types of Diabetes?
What Is the Impact of Diabetes?
- It affects 23.6 million people—7.8 percent of the U.S. population.
- It is a leading cause of death and disability.
- It costs $174 billion per year.
Who Gets Diabetes?
- people of any age
- people with a family history of diabetes
- others at high risk for type 2 diabetes: older people, overweight and sedentary people, African Americans, Alaska Natives, American Indians, Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, some Pacific Islander Americans, and Hispanics/Latinos
- National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse, NIH Publication No. 09-3873 (November 2008)
Last Updated: 03 March 2016
Reviewed by Harry Croft, MD