A list of reasons why you may feel like dying plus how depression creates suicidal thoughts.
- Because you have an illness that makes you want to kill yourself
- Because you are not just depressed - you have depression
- Because - just like with any other illness - you must get treatment to get rid of the symptoms and the pain
- Because you can treat depression, even cure it
- Because your life has value and can be saved
Why Can't You Believe It?
Because you have a biological brain disorder...
- that under-produces positive emotions
- that over-produces negative emotions
- poisons your thoughts
- and makes you believe that you must die
If you hurt your leg...
- You can sit and look down
- And see a gash in your leg, down there, as a part of your body, and say
- "Oh, ouch, my leg is hurt, but it - this exterior part of my body will get better"
- You are experiencing the pain in your leg, in a part of your body
- And you are willing to suffer the pain, treat the wound, and expect it to heal
The trouble with depression is that...
- The very disorder and pain is in your reasoning, happiness, and will to live mechanisms - in your heart, in your soul
- The entire experience of self and life continuum is affected
- There is no space in your head and heart for objectivity
- It's as though the pain IS you
- Lost in and disabled by the pain, often we are not able to objectively seek the proper treatment as we would for our injured leg, or to persevere when a treatment fails to help
If you had any other illness, disease, or injury...
- you would accept the pain
- apply a treatment
- fight for life
- wait for healing
- and expect to get well
Just like with any illness...
- You may have to suffer for a while longer before you get better
Normally, people can stand a certain amount of very bad and even excruciating pain...
- whether from a physical injury, or an internal disease like cancer
- from a life circumstance - loss of a job or home
- or from losing a loved one through death or divorce
But after a while, pain wears on us...
- Often, normal people in constant pain for an extended length of time will begin to think of suicide even though they never thought of it before
And that's just about where depression starts. We are already there in state of physiological injury
Our malfunctioning biochemistry creates a constantly descending altered mental and physical state...
- We are immersed in a biochemistry of sadness, hopelessness, worthlessness, pain and sorrow
- Our hearts are physically aching as though something horrible and terrible has happened to us
- Our negative emotions are on high and our positive, balancing emotions are very low or absent
- We may be physically incapable of creating positive thought
- Next >>