Mental Health Blogs

Boundaries Help Overcome the Victim Mentality

A personal boundary is a rule that YOU SAY cannot be broken without consequence. Consequences for breaking your personal boundaries are not punishments for the person breaking them. The consequence involves you doing something good for yourself right away.

For example, this is one of the boundaries I set for myself:

No verbal assaults or verbal abuse. No name-calling directly or indirectly where it can be overheard by me or other people. No covert verbal abuse implying I am is less valuable than another due to differing opinions and beliefs. No labeling of me as unappreciative, uncaring, unfit, irresponsible, dishonest, etc. No word games, no rephrasing of my words to change their meaning, no more technicalities or meaning-splitting (i.e. “You didn’t say not to do that on the list!”). No attempts to control through tone or word. No abuse disguised as a joke.

The consequence of someone violating that boundary is as follows:

If someone violates this personal boundary and I feel safe saying something to them, I will say, “I feel threatened/hurt/disrespected by your words and tone. I am going to leave the house/room/relationship and maybe we can spend time together later, but I’m not sure about that yet.” If someone verbally abuses me and I feel unsafe in saying something, I will only act on the consequence, not explain it. I will leave the room/house for an extended period until I feel safe to return (if it is safe to return!).

Notice that the consequence for the abuse does not involve me saying, “You are ……! You make me feel…!”its-all-you

• Saying “You are…!” labels and defines the person, and we abuse victims KNOW how unfair and miserable it is to be labeled – so don’t do it to someone else, no matter how nasty they are.
  • Saying “You make me feel…” gives my power to the person hurting me. If I fall into the trap of believing that someone else can stir me up, then I let go of all responsibility for my own feelings. I allow the abuse to define me, and that is a slippery slope leading to all sorts of nasty internal consequences including low self-respect.

There is another way to write a boundary in which you have a specific person and their specific abuses in mind. Here’s a second example of a boundary:

When you narrow your eyes and interrupt me, I feel unheard and disconnected from the conversation. I want you to acknowledge my point of view.

And the consequence:

Because I am powerless over you, I will leave the room and the conversation temporarily until a later point in time when we can try to communicate again.

The first time I wrote out a boundary, I felt guilty. I felt as if protecting myself was a crime against him. The idea that I “should” be and do just as he wanted was the source of that guilt. But after writing a few boundaries, I noticed that the guilt disappeared. While defining the things he did and said, I realized that his actions were wrong. He “should” feel bad for the way he behaved and I had every right to protect myself from his derogatory words and actions.

Writing the boundaries helped me to recognize the abuse when it started. By defining what I didn’t like, by putting it into words on paper, I learned to circumvent the abuse from the beginning instead of letting it affect me until I was a crying heaving mass of jelly.

Writing my own boundaries gave me a sense of personal strength and a sense of responsibility to myself to curtail the negativity I had once so willingly accepted. I stopped seeing myself as a victim and started seeing myself as an agent of change, both for myself and my relationship.

When I began enforcing my boundaries, the abuse increased. My abuser was like a little child being denied his comfort blanket. He didn’t take to my new reactions well. We are divorcing because I began to act in ways that were good for me.

As much as I didn’t want this divorce, I also would not go back to that situation ever again. The outcome for your relationship may be different, but I suspect the feelings you have after writing your boundaries will be similar to mine.

• Disgust that the behaviors described occur in what is supposed to be a love relationship
  • Desire to improve that relationship
  • Hope that the abuser will change once the responsibility for their actions and words falls back onto their shoulders
  • Greater sense of empowerment and the shedding of victim mentality.

For help writing your first boundaries, visit Verbal Abuse Journals/How to Set Personal Boundaries.

This entry was posted in Abuse in Marriage, Abuse in Relationships, Abusive Behaviors, Child Abuse, Detachment, Name Calling, Recognizing Abuse, Setting Boundaries, Stopping Verbal Abuse, Verbal Abuse Signs, Work Place Abuse and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Boundaries Help Overcome the Victim Mentality

1. Kelly says:

Your blog has been SO helpful to me. I am working with a therapist and boundaries right now. What I didn’t realize is that implying that I am less of a person because of different values and beliefs is abuse as well. I have spent years being told that because I have different beliefs, I am inferior and evil.

2. Kellie Holly says:

You are not inferior and you are definitely not evil, Kelly. This is one of those times where you can say, “This problem is HIS; I’ll let HIM own it.” Differing views and opinions can cause a relationship to flourish when the relationship is two-sided. In a one-sided (it’s my way or the highway!) abusive relationship, differing views causes collapse at best.

3. terru says:

sorry, pressed wrong button and submitted comment without finishing what I wanted to say, and what I want to say is…

don’t stop in the relationship, whatever you do, get out, whether you have kids or not, in particular if you have just got married.

My story is simple really. My father abused my mother, and on occasions, his children, for sure, we were so small we couldn’t get out of the situation, no child line then, and my mother had no money because my father was a gambler of the worst kind and drank everyday, out at the pub with his friends in the evening. My mother worked hard, had much tragedy, engless children, lots of spare time to sit and think when dad went away for a couple of years, weekends not included because of an accident at the local mine, and spent his disability money on gambling and well that’s a long long story. Anyhow, I became determind, I would grow up to be somebody, to make the best of my talents, to always love my father, and well perhaps you can understand that dad had very severe survival syndrome through being nearly drowned during the war (3 times actually), and was a code breaker over in Alexandria as well, so we could really, just about…. only just when I grew up an started to think, see why he was so volatile. And anyhow, just goes to show how you do not know how wrong you can be, because should my mother have split our family, we could have grown up apart and I do truly love my siblings, even though for some awesomely volatile reason, they have alll turned against me, and as I was saying. I became determined to live a full life, have a good marriage if at all possible, raise a family, always care for others, meaning putting the kids and ol husband first, whilst at the same time achieving much through learning and my career, and the strange thing was.

Well, as an when…. when you are young you are sweetness utself, and pretty as a picture and every man’s fantacy, according to the husband. And he treats you like s*** to make sure you have no confidence, and so the fight is on, so that no other man could ever have you, you have those children and so you put those first and put your lies on the back burner, and start to wish the superstar goddess he really things you are would just pack up work and live for the children…. you get where I am coming from so far?

So you get to te menopause and during the marriage he has no belief in his capabilities, so leaves to sort out all situations, includng financial, so you aren’t half the one to rule the roost and run the family home, and sort out bills etc. and then it happens you see. You put your head down because the man you once loved so very much has been an abuser, so far so good you think because no one could ever put you through that insane childrenhood that you have had, and yes the husband you married and who promised to cherish you, has turned into that physical and mental abuser, through lots of upset, lots of cares, lots of stress through work, stars as a man who all love outside the home and is absolutely adored through his workplace, and you are left holding the cradle. So watch out, is what I say, fior you never know who you are going to get and those four walls hide many secrets, and when the house is empty because the children have grown up and gone, and love their father, because you as the mother protected them from all harm, upsets, rows and cares, as far as you were able that is, and then you know the story of the three little pigs. Well I huffed and I puffed and I could not blow my house down, for now I am considered the big bad wolf for wanting change after all these years and that house is made of brick, and you built it fair and square together with your own fair hands and your sweat and your tears, and your finance, and what he gets that vile abuser of your physiucal, mental, and breakdown of your nervous system, is much pleasure for all he has to do is ask you if you are suicidal yet, after several ears of screwballing your brains, and using your body as a sat off potatoes andor saying saving the best til last, he has his needs you know, is a doctor locking you up i a psychiatric unit, with an eternity of mind numbing tablets which he encourages you, yes, your husband, and the doctor as well, to take for the rest of your life, so that you can do the eternal round of the psychiatric hospital, and he can have that house you tried to huff and puff and blow down because…. the house is empty now and you want your fair share.

And the moral of the story is, look after number one, don’t ever forget to tape up your mouth, don’t go to the doctors through ‘not being ableto cope’ don’t wait for your kids to grow up, just run and tape up their mouths about their awesomely volatile father because you know what, to do the latter and to do the former is just always the wrong thing to do, becaue if you leave that nest and take those kids the children forget why you separated them from their awesomely volatile father and if you stay in that awful situation, they forget how awful it was anyhow because they themselves. Forget anyhow because you have brought them up to respect an elder, and mother was always the one to do the discipline and father was the one who….

drank too much and perhaps even gambled. And now after nearly 60 years of abuse, because I can’t remeber before the age of 6 months orr so, I am leaving and he has no idea how to correct his behaviour because, you see, he does no believe he has ever committed those crimes against me. For sure you see, he was never taught right from wrong, his father was always away from work, he was totally adored by rather a lot of women, he never grew up to be a top talented man, the man who all thought he was, because he has had no confidence in hisself and for sure I redressed that situation, by giving him the bull off, and what I mean is. Don’t forzet to put your man first if he is a good man, find out all about his needs before you set out along the pathways of life, whether short or long, always answer your instincts with a qestion, never dismiss your inner doubts, don’t suppose there is anyone there now, who wants menow, because thatpretty face is awesome lined now, through lots of cares, my body is far too large for that man who I have spoken to above, my face does not fit through my family for some soulful reason, for they all adore John, and my sons well….. they are bought you see, even to this day. The person who holds the purse….wins

4. Maree says:

Drawing boundaries is fine, but what happens if the abuse is a one liner quickly delivered and left hanging, so that no further discussion can be entered into? Stopping the conversation is of no use, then, because the conversation had already stopped when the one liner had been uttered.
    I find this is the typical abuse that I receive from acquaintances, mainly, not just my partner

5. Kellie Holly says:

If you do not want to ignore the comment, you can say, “Would you repeat that?” If they repeat it, you can say, “That’s what I thought you said. I do not like it when you (what did they do? insinuate, insult, …?). Please do not do that again.”

If they will not repeat it, then just let it go. It’s enough that they know you heard them and will not hesitate to call them on it.

Sometimes when we hear these one-liners, we’re shocked into silence. If you find this happening, you can always go to the perpetrator and say, “I don’t like it when you call me out like that in front of everyone. If you don’t stop insulting me, then I will … (what are you willing to do?).” Then walk out.

6. m says:

I have a question – when I say (for example) ‘I am uncomfortable with that phrasing,’ if asked why, I am fine with explaining ‘That’s how I feel when I hear it’ = owning my feelings, not labelling them, etc. (It’s a long and confusing route to this skill, isn’t it!) But both my sons will then just say they’re made uncomfortable by my objection; they have a right to express themselves in this ‘normal’ way and it’s a generational difference, or me being too fussy, or similar (of course these counter-arguments are learnt from Dad) … then they do it more, rather than less. I can’t keep walking away from meals and other conversations with my own sons! So usually I reason with them a while and then give up, allow the subject to be changed, and that looks as if I’m sulking or defeated (since their reading of the conversation is in winner/loser terms). ‘Defeated’ confirms that I was wrong in the first place.

Besides never ‘winning’, I hate seeing them grow up without the live-and-let-live values of mutual respect that I have always taught them. I know some of it is just to wind Mum up but I also know they, especially the older one, really can’t see what’s better about ‘OK, if you dislike that then we won’t do it.’ :( These are my children, the adults they become are largely my job! (Not 100%, I know.) Always, always, I’d say things like, ‘I agree it isn’t important but if the owner wants it not touched, then we won’t touch it,’ or ‘Dad wanting you to be quiet is reason enough, if someone feels the need then we all join in doing it…’ and applied this to respecting my own wishes as much as anyone else’s – but they have picked up the opposite values. (They are 12, still just a bit of ‘formative’ time remains for him, and 19, not really any years left.)

(It hurts more with the younger one, who was born compassionate and is a natural good listener, whereas the older one takes after his father physically and i suspect has the Number-One values built-in as well.)

What do you suggest when someone just blankly refuses to acknowledge you have any kind of point at all, let alone to stop the abusive forms of speech? Not only within the family, but at work we can’t always just walk out; some times of day I am too weak to get up and leave (I have chronic health problems); there must be other situations. How should we reply to ‘You’re mistaken, that’s just your feeling, we’re not wrong to talk like this, it does no harm’?

7. Kellie Holly says:

M, I originally responded to your comment here, but I thought it would make a great post to share instead. It’s called “Helping Your Kids Unlearn Abuse” and you can find it here: http://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/verbalabuseinrelationships/2012/10/helping-your-kids-unlearn-abuse/

8. m says:

Thank you Kellie! I have replied over at that post. :)

9. GG says:

This link is broken for me and I really would like to learn to write these.

10. Kellie Holly says:

GG – the site I linked to was down for today. I had to “fix it” and now it’s a mess! Even so, the link should now work again. Try this: http://verbalabusejournals.com/how-stop-abuse/setting-personal-boundaries/how-to-set-boundaries/

11. Sam says:

Hi

I was in an abusive relationship for the past one year. Worst of all it was the first year of our marriage. Although the day i left the house he threaten me of divorce but its been two months since i left the house he has not contacted me. Now he is spreading rumours about me that i left the house because i was cheating on him. I dont live in US and laws here are so different. Anyways i need some advice on how to expose an abuser.
    How to deal with anger that i have for myself. Everyday i regret spending 10 months with him. I wish i could have left him on the first day of his abuse.