Marriage and Mental Illness: For Better or Worse?

For Better of Worse? Yes, that’s the vow. But when the symptoms of mental illness seem to change the personality – the very soul - of your husband or wife, how do you keep going? How do you hold the family together?

Partners for Life

When faced with mental illness, family members have two sets of challenges, it seems:

1. the emotions we all face (like grief, confusion, guilt, loss, anger) and,
  2. the more practical issues in the role of any family caregiver - a role we all have to play at least some of the time in this situation.

My most personal experience, as a family member of someone diagnosed with mental illness, is as a Mom. In fact, I’d venture to say that a majority of the people who take NAMI’s Family-to-Family course are parents. A typical class of 20-25 usually includes a handful of siblings, spouses, and/or children (that is, adults who grew up and may be caring for a parent with mental illness) – but the biggest group always seems to consist of parents.

Many of the issues, emotions, and challenges we face as family members certainly are universal to all of these roles – however, there are also additional feelings and obstacles that are unique to each “relative group.”

Yes, I am a mother – but I also watched my daughter suffer through

I Do...

the loss of the “big brother” she knew,  and adjust to her new role with a “little brother”, whose growth and accomplishments now trail behind.  I also was married to an alcoholic for seven years (Ben and Ali’s father, William) and though I now struggle to determine if he’d had a co-occurring mental illness, I know that I did live with some of the uncertainties that spouses face when mental illness changes the partner they thought they’d married.

Challenges Facing Spouses with Mentally Ill Partners

Here are 5 things I learned from spouses of those with mental illness about their particular “objective” challenges, in addition to the ones we seem to all have in common (financial worries, staying alert to relapse symptoms, coping with family conflict etc.):

Spouses also face:

1. Feeling like you’ve lost the partnership of marriage. If you always turned to your spouse in times of need, where can you turn now? (I know, in our house, my friends’ sympathy for my Williams’ alcoholic episodes wore thin very fast)
  2. Financial burdens. Coping with the loss of a wage-worker in the household,  if mental illness has led to job loss. (I began to lose count of the number of jobs William lost, or the number of customer complaints when he started his own business, due to unreliability)
  3. Resentment – and sexual distance – that can accompany the change in roles when one spouse takes on the “caretaker” role.
  4. Single-parenting coupled with being primary caretaker of your spouse. (One Mom I met told me about walking down the stairs dressed in her husband’s Santa suit to greet their three young kids, after he’d been hospitalized on Xmas Eve. That may the tip of the iceberg, but it still broke her heart). Worrying about your children’s emotional state as well as your own.
  5. Stigma, social isolation, loss of the “couple friends” group. Invitations dwindle when your spouse’s actions are unpredictable and sometimes embarrassing.

What helps spouses? What helps all family members? In my next post I’ll talk about life balance, and some concrete steps like learning all you can, reaching out for support in new places, and self-care.

Are you a spouse of someone with a diagnosed mental illness? Does this ring true for you? What helps you?

(Visited 4,609 times, 11 visits today)
This entry was posted in Family Experience with Mental Illness, Mental Illness and Marriage and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to Marriage and Mental Illness: For Better or Worse?

1. Erin says:

Ms. Patel, I want to assure you that relapse is not possible, it is inevitable. The odds are about 20% that any children parented by someone with a mental illness, will develop the illness. It has been my experience with my schizoaffective husband, that the stresses of parenting can trigger a (mildish) episode. My husband tends toward manic mood swings although depressive ones occur sometimes.

To hear his mom talk about his childhood it seems he was always ill, although my husband had his first encounter with the psychiatric system when he was 18. It was chalked up to drug abuse and/or demon possession. His mom held an exorcism, he returned to the church, and they declared him ‘healed by God.’ He stopped psychiatric treatment about a year after the break, and got married to his ex shortly thereafter.

His ex- tells me about the things he would do while they were married – he had an out of control sex drive and would masturbate several times a day; he would refuse to feed himself, once calling her home to make him a sandwich while she was visiting family over 100 miles away; impulsive activities like a midnight naked bike ride around the neighborhood were common, as was naked rolls in the snow.

A year after their fifth child was born, he was working a full-time swing shift job at a lumber mill, working a part-time pizza delivery job, going to school for an AA, doing the Body For Life fitness challenge, remodeling their house piecemeal, and cheating on her. (This seems like classic mania to me…)
    He had begun seeing a GP for depression and was given various antidepressant meds by that dr. who was not trained in the specialty. That is when he had a major manic/ psychotic break and his ex removed the children from him.

He had a manic depressive episode which ended in psychotic break within our first year together, and I took the Family to Family class at NAMI. After the class, I thought I had it figured out.

I do not have any children with my husband, but true to statistics, one of his 5 children has bipolar disorder which was present at 7 years old & adhd (as well as type 1 diabetes), one has Asperger’s and adhd, and three have just adhd (that we know of.)

Although he does not have custody of the children, his ability to parent has often been affected by his illness. When he is even slightly ‘off’, he does a poor job of caring for his child with diabetes and bipolar because he is unable to stick to a routine (sleep, meds & insulin injections must be done on a schedule), his discipline of them is erratic and often done in anger, he drives unsafely due to aggression and cognitive problems, he is self-focused on his own needs and wants, and he has poor judgment. When he is having an episode, he turns into a big selfish teenager who rebels against every responsibility.

These issues are not isolated incidents. These are ongoing struggles, especially because during these times he feels omniscient and any interference is ‘emasculating’.

When I told him to slow down just prior to him receiving a $400 ticket for reckless endangerment, his response was that I was overreacting. The ticket was given for driving 90mph at 11pm during driving rain, to pass someone on the right.

He still drives erratically when more ill, but since having a premonition of dying in a car with him at the wheel, I refuse to be in a vehicle with him driving when he’s manic and I have started to tell his ex that he’s not suitable to drive the kids for a visit.

He became maniacally aggressive while driving a few weeks ago, and when I told him to slow down and stop being aggressive, he said he didn’t care about my opinion of his driving. That’s when I lost it: I screamed that YOU BETTER DAMN WELL CARE, MY LIFE IS IN YOUR HANDS WHEN I AM YOUR PASSENGER. He pulled over, and hasn’t shuttled me since.

(I suspect during episodes, many with MI regress to the stage of development they were at when they first became ill. My stepson regresses to about 4 yr old behavior with tantrums, baby-talk, thumbsucking and clingy neediness.)

When he is ill, which has been a lot since we were married 7 years ago, he is a verbally abusive, self-centered jerk. If I am suffering with a headache, it doesn’t matter; he will play the drums regardless and for twice as long. We have moved several times, and only once has he truly been helpful. Most of the time he will come up with a litany of physical complaints to get out of helping (although he is a very healthy, physically active 42 year old man who is never in enough pain to stop skateboarding.)

He became floridly ill around July ’12 when he began to ‘celebrate turning 40′ which meant drinking a sixer a day. During that time, he cheated on me twice with a meth junkie (yeah, I got STD tested), started several fights in our neighborhood, threatened to shank someone on Christmas eve, opened up credit cards and maxed them, ruined hundreds of dollars worth of food because he was constantly unplugging the refrigerator because he couldn’t block out the sounds of the motor running, put holes in our walls…

He has been more violent toward himself and our property than to other people – has stabbed himself in the hand, and punched himself in the eye (then told others I did it.)

I had become trained as a NAMI Family to Family co-facilitator, and I knew I had to draw boundaries. I told him to leave. He moved out into our minivan and stayed in church parking lots, then eventually parked the van at his mom’s. His mom told him he had to go find a place to live, and he came back to my town. He tried using the internet at the library, but couldn’t because people were talking about him, ‘they’ were tracking his internet usage, and the library was too bright.

He came back to my home five months after being asked to leave. I love and care about him, and I was scared but I let him come back to search for a place to live. We went out together to find him a place, but no place was right- there were too many windows, not enough windows, too many people around, not enough room for his drill press or drum kit…

I let him move back in with some conditions. 1. He has to take his meds as prescribed. 2. He cannot drink alcohol at all, ever. 3. I must have a medical power of attorney.

Well, he won’t give me the POA, but he takes meds (although erratically and unwillingly) and he doesn’t drink. That helps, but he’s still paranoid, delusional, erratic, and abusively argumentative. His symptoms, as per what research has shown, are progressively getting worse with each episode.

I don’t trust him now, after he has repeatedly: failed to care for his child with life-threatening illness; stolen from me; lied about me to others; cheated; launched unfounded verbal attacks on me and others…

I have been trying to teach the kids about his illness, to help them understand their dad and brother. His son is now 14 and we are currently reading An Unquiet Mind together to help him understand. Although my husband recognizes himself in that book, he argues with me as I read aloud because he has always railed against any information about mental illness (it’s all conspiracy from big pharma to sell more drugs.)

I am still young: 34, but because of the daily stress, my husband makes me feel like I have lived 50 years in the last 7. It will be another 6 years until the youngest kid graduates. I think when the kids are no longer in danger from him – when they are grown and stop their court-ordered visitation – I will finally leave.

I hope after that time, I can recover enough to love and trust and feel young again.

2. sheri says:

Wow Erin, that’s so sad, yet it’s so true. My husband has bipolar/ schizoaffective disorder and we’ve been married for 6 years. Life is so difficult at times, I’m so glad you shared, God Bless you <3

3. Chuck says:

Dear Erin,

RUN! DON’T WALK, RUN!

I am NOT any type of qualified mental illness councilor, but I have the misfortune of having too much life experience dealing with and trying to put reason to complete unreasonableness. With that disclosed, please feel free to disregard all that I assert below, but I hope you may find some of it helpful.

1) RUN. There are 50 ways to leave your lover, and you listed at least 10 reasons to do so in your (very detailed) post.

2) RUN. I will quote Zig Ziglar, you are “cooked in the squat.” Please listen to “How to Get What you Want.” You state that you are going to wait for over 6 years to leave? That is NOT a plan. You have personally and quietly commented yourself to over 6 years of prison. The WORST and MOST terrible plan I have ever heard! RUN!

3) RUN. As you assert in your post, children who are subjected to a parent that has a mental illness, likely acquire the same illness. The same thing happens to adults who study and / or are around people with any type of sickness. . .

. . .prepare yourself. . .

. . .either you already had many of his mental illnesses, or through your caregiving you have developed, exhibit in your post, several of his mental illnesses that you described.

Finally, (PLEASE) RUN and listen to “How to Get What you Want” by Zig Ziglar.

Most Respectfully Yours,

4. michelle says:

Sister married got child his with her in australia he suffers mental illness and she wants divorce doesnt know how to keave him they own house which needs to be sold, he has no friends dad dead mum in mentsl home england and my dister worried hiw to get out. She csn come to nz for 30 days bur as kid was born in austealia he could insist they go back. He is on high dosage has weird thoughts spying on her dhe has no feelings gor him and wants out how best to do this.

5. Marko Barrows says:

My wife(married 15 years) suffers from extreme bipolar disorder, possibly late onset schizophrenia, but is in complete denial. Stress triggers her episodes but alcohol is generally to blame. She has become violent with no recollection of the offenses. She has humiliated both of us in front of friends and family. One half of me says RUN and the other half says fight for the woman she was. Any conversation of therapy winds up in empty promises or angry rejection. What is my best first step, besides joining this forum?

6. Tammy says:

Marko, I feel your pain. Been married to my husband for 14 years, together 19, and over the last two years he has become someone I hardly recognition. He too insists nothing is wrong with him, but has had absolutely explosive outbursts at our business that have cost us staff and customers. He has become paranoid and is suspicious that people are “out to get him,” almost to the point of being delusional at times. His dysfunctional family does nothing but make excuses for his behavior.

I profoundly miss the man he was, but the man he has become is putting everything we have at jeopardy.

7. Lean6 says:

Most articles that I’ve read refer to people with diagnosed mental illness. I’m a man living with a wife with undiagnosed mental illness. This is not Hollywood, that’s for sure. We’re getting to the point where others are starting to notice and contact me with concern for her behavior, namely her immediate family. It took some tremendous loss of life to get there. Yet still, I have no faith that relief is anywhere in sight. The world is full of enablers…people who are more interested in being heroes instead asking difficult questions. Not to mention those people who also bear some burden of guilt. The family is telling me to take action, but I know what I’m dealing with and what’s a risk in dealing with any agency in society…I’ve seen it. The further she sinks, the farther I move away for my own safety, the more at risk I become for when she eventually falls completely apart. There’s been periods of alcohol abuse, prescription drug abuse, and over the counter medicine abuse. The psychologists or counselors that we’ve seen along the way under other pretenses have all been duped. The usual pattern is that she clouds the sessions with stories about her mother, or simply telling people that I’m unaffectionate, she gets more Xanax prescribed, and she quits if they’ve gotten too close. She recently left an emergency room that was suspicious of her drug-seeking behavior, went to another hospital with EKG leads still attached, and nobody said anything. They just accepted the excuse of poor customer service at the first hospital. She knows where the boundaries of insanity are and she’s manipulative enough to mask this behind tears and quite regularly consuming me for strength. I’m cowering in another room barely speaking to her these days and trying to avoid confrontation. I’ve stayed because I cannot bring myself to leave my children there for any period of time, just hoping that family courts will be any different. I seriously fear that someone is going to get hurt. The most depressing thing in the world is to be heavily muscled at 6’1″ 250 pounds, and to be pushed around by a 5’3″ woman this way. Nobody could ever believe it and she feeds off of that as well.

8. Anon says:

I was with a man for 10 years, married for almost 6 years, who suffered(s) from mental illness. There were warning signs from the beginning that I ignored or dismissed. I found out more once we were married. The mental illness ran through his whole family. I didn’t ask and it was a “family secret” that I was only to know once I was part of the family!??! I refused to have children with him because of this.

I have no idea what his ultimate diagnosis was. I know he had ADHD, but the paranoia and narcissistic qualities confused me. He was too disorganized for only a personality disorder. I stopped going to his therapy for a while until I realized he was lying to his therapist. Then I went to set the record straight. That’s when I realized I had to pull away. That I was becoming a parent, tattling on him for his bad behavior. It wasn’t going to help him and it wasn’t going to help our marriage.

After that he deteriorated more and more, refused to bathe, work, contribute to the household, bought large amounts of items and expensive items without an income to support himself, alienated my son (from a previous marriage), became volatile and bizarre, ignored me wholesale, refused to take his medications or participate in his own therapy. He was hospitalized once, voluntary. After he was discharged, he sold his medications for cash. I felt like his caretaker and not like a partner. I didn’t have a partner. I no longer had a mate.

Divorcing him was hard. He stonewalled, made outrageous demands, was “fired” by his own lawyer, I had to get a restraining order, he threatened to kill the pets, he stalked me, he interfered with the utilities.

I went into therapy myself to reconcile the vows I had made. That whole “in sickness and in health” thing. My therapist pointed out he broke the vows first. To live as man and wife. I still struggle with guilt over my decision. But you cannot help someone who refuses to help himself. I still have awful dreams at times about this person. That he is here and won’t leave. I did the right thing for myself. I was not able to help him. I have been told I do not have to accept responsibility for that. I have to make peace with that. I’m still trying.

9. john J says:

Has anyone ever had a spouse leave and never return? My wife left 2 years ago after suffering for 4 years after a breakdown. I worry about her daily but feel totally unable to help after years of trying to protect her and our children.

10. Erin O says:

I am just now seeking info and help for coping with the loss of my mentally ill husband. It looks like there are as many kinds of situations and sets of needs as there are stories.

Since my husband was arrested for assaulting me during an episode, my hands are tied by the state of Oregon and I cannot advocate for him directly. His lawyer is not familiar with the complexity of an insanity plea and I am afraid he will go to years in state prison for a crime he would never have committed if he had received proper care. Since he is a veteran, his PTSD and bipolar-like symptoms since the war were supposed to be administered by the VA, but they are hesitant to admit the fill extent of his need or address the accompanying alcoholism that kept him inconsistent in seeking treatment. Now, he is facing a long and unhelpful road, and I am virtually unable to help him. I am sure that prison will only make him worse. He is a good man, an educated, upstanding guy, respected by friends and family -who was having worsening episodes and issues.

Although we have no future as a couple (my son witnessed the event and there is no way to set a healthy precedent for him or ensure our continued safety if my husband is in the picture), I love and care for my husband. I was his biggest advocate and cheerleader as he worked tirelessly to seek help and self-improvement. To see his life go down the toilet this way simply because proper care wasn’t available is breaking my heart.

11. Ouch says:

I thank God for finding this site. I thought I was completely alone and somehow was too weak to fix things. Long story short.
    My wife and I are both 55 years old. We began to date 13 years ago and have been married for almost 11 years. I was financially pretty well off. Had a nice home and mortgage. My Step Daughter from my prior marriage lived with me while going to college. I met my wife in a group of friends we hung out with. We both had an outgoing manner and great sense of humor. After 6 months of being friends, I asked her out. Did not even kiss on the first date. But it was wonderful from that moment forward and a year later when we got engaged everyone, including me, was ecstatic. Then I noticed things got different. Day to day was great. She was the woman of my dreams. But she began to talk about past relationships in a weird way. She didn’t talk about hurts, but about explicit sexual encounters, details about intimate times and body parts. I asked her to stop. She did for a bit. Then a few weeks before the wedding, she told me in front of all of us planning the wedding she had been engaged 5 times, had run, and thought it was funny. In the past she also had discussed being stalked, raped and molested. I had never been around this kind of thing. So I became her white knight. Fast forward a few years. We have always been very loving and best friends but that began to change. She began to flirt with guys and though our friends were worried, I felt we were immune to that. We had an opportunity to move to a paradise in Mexico. We began to be targeted by the then new gangs and began to be extorted. She would not leave because she enjoyed the party. Her behavior got more erratic. She began trying to strip at bars and took her clothes off on a dinner cruise. I finally got us back to the U.S. When her family saw her and confronted her, she made up stories of me abusing her and forcing her to sell her body. The only thing I did was save her life! Over the next few years she has been in and out of psych wards and rehabs. Sometimes not letting me know where she was for months at a time. Her family has pretty much given up on her. Finally, 2 and a half years she was declared legally incompetent. When she received her Sri settlement I was supposed to manage her money and affairs. I found a private agency to do that instead as I figured I would get blamed for something sometime. Well, she talked her way into getting it all herself. Within 6 months, the money was almost gone. She had an affair with a homeless guy for a few months who we both knew had herpes and had been exposed to HIV. It didn’t matter to her. She now has herpes, no HIV as yet, but that can take a couple years. Bottom line is I left. Filed for divorce. I went to see her about 2 months later over some financial issues and she looked almost dead. Beaten to a pulp and 30 pounds underweight. I stuck around to help. I showed kindness. A year later no one will have anything to do with her. I have spoken only well of her. When she is angry, she threatens to call the police and claim I beat her she did this once and they took her to jail! I have also found out the beatings, rapes and stalking claims she made from her youth were either greatly exaggerated or made up. I love her because I remember what she was for a time. The Best. I made a vow to stay and love no matter what. But I am afraid.

Lowlife Guys come around while I’m at work and she is getting that paranoid, mean attitude that means she is about to do something horrible again. The saddest part, is she really thinks she is being logical. We are now totally bankrupt and in debt from this. Lost a huge house, large savings and retirement and in huge debt. She tries. Her sanity and logic flow in and out. But the bad times are getting worse. She can’t or won’t accept real help. If I leave, I will live in a one room crap hole for at least a year to get back on my feet. In my heart I would do anything and walk over hot coals if she would get better. But it’s been going on for 6 years, getting worse. The only one who won’t participate in her recovery is her. She either won’t or can’t. I hate mental illness and the stigma it causes. I want my baby back so much! But I don’t think she is her anymore and I am 55 years old a tired. Please God, Help Us!

12. sweetmalis says:

Well I read many of these blogs after being awake now for about 3 entire days so if I ramble or don’t make sense I apologize ahead of time. My hands are also killing me and I have a migraine that has not responded to my arsenal of meds. My hands hurt because I started to write my husband a notecard, small one, just cause its been a bad few weeks due to my mental and physical issues. I am a 40 year old woman and my husband also 40, we started dating exclusively in 1993, married in 1999, and had our beautiful daughter in 2003. So I have spent more than half of my life with this man. And boy my little notecard turned into a 26 page letter, once I started I couldn’t stop. Mainly it was one apology after another and another until I truly realized just what a crappy hand my family got with me, and that’s quite an understatement. Quick history, my Mother who passed away in 1992 and the most amazing person in this world. She fought an absolute evil, cancer, I hate that word. And up until the last night of her life in which she had went to Florida, we live in Connecticut and it was February and my Mom loved the warmth and her sister lived there. My father and sister and me all knew it was terminal and I think she truly knew she was going to die in those next few days, so off to Florida she went to protect us from seeing her pass. But after 3 days in which my aunt later described as the best weather in Florida while my Mom was there and I believe her warmth from her heart gave that entire state those most beautiful days. We did get an emergency call that she was in an induced coma, she was in so much pain they had to do it…but it was in those few hours in the plane that she last spoke and her eyes open, told my aunt to give both my sister and I her wedding rings and that she loved us so much that we would always have her as our Mom. And that night my aunt did leave to give the three of us alone time and my Dad actually kissed her cheek, wiped one tear from his eyes and said he was going home with my aunt, after all it was a long day and he was tired. He left my Mom and my sister, who just turned 18 years old, I was 17…and we both sat on each side of her bed holding her hand not even getting up to use the bathroom for the next 6-7 hours. And as lucky as I was to know that she was the first one to hold me when I took my first breath as her baby, I was there and held her hand as she took her last breath. I hope that doesn’t sound morbid but to be able to just be there and she wasn’t alone got me thru that time. I think I would have succeeded after so many suicidal attempts since 12 years old but that I couldn’t do to her. And I tried…tried hard with this deep darkness of depression in which everyday I wake up I curse God that I woke up, then I sit or “clean” my house watching the clock praying it will be night soon and maybe my meds will work and for a few hours I can escape. To even type these words are so evil because I have the most beautiful 11 year old daughter that instead of getting the gift of a Mom that fought thru pain I couldn’t both physical and emotionally do, I am so blessed that I do have a husband still, and it is only because he knows I could never live alone and no family since my dad left my sister and I alone that night, I would commit myself to a mental institution than live with him. My husband is an amazing father, for all intense and purposes he is a single parent who works 60-80 hours a week as an electrician so no cushy office chair for him, and then come home to find my daughter either glued to one electronic device or another. I’ll have to come back to this my head is too bad…thanks and sorry

13. ColdWinnipeger says:

I am in my late 40′s and my wife is in her mid 50′s. We first started dating about 6 years ago, she has two adult children from a previous marriage. Her boy left home once he started college and never returned. Her daughter recently graduated from medical school and is also moving far away.

My wife has been having problems that are obviously related to her Mennonite childhood. She has been on Disability for 7 years, at first I assumed it was physical but in a recent application for the disability tax credit – which she was very reluctant to do – I discovered she was put on disability due to mental health issues.

We are now in a situation that is desperate. I can’t hold a job because she expects me to be at her calling, even on the job. Naturally, I get let go if I miss too much work. She will stay up all night and sleep all day.

I have suggested seeing a psychiatrist, but she refuses to do so. Next comes the guilt trip, the ultimatums, threatening suicide, threatening to live at the garbage dump, threatening to leave me and take half the house, etc.

I really don’t know what to do. Her brothers and sisters enable her behavior by bringing a religious delusion element into it. Her two kids at this last Christmas, point blank, told me right in front of her that they thought I was crazy and a chump for putting up with her. Before they walked out the door, they said their mother would ruin my life, just as she ruined their lives (Both spent years in counselling but were able to move on with their lives). The daughter referred to her mom as a “crazy maker”.

They also warned me to just walk away before I lost my sanity. I really am losing it. I used to be an effective manager, assertive and confident. Now I easily get panic attacks in public and find myself shaking at even the thought of any job that requires responsibility.

There is NO HELP out there. I have spoken to doctors, counselors, nobody will do SFA until it turns into a tragedy.

Not sure why I am even telling people this. Nobody cares, nobody will do anything. I really should just pack my bags, maybe move in with my spinster aunt. Get back on my feet.

To hell with my house, she can have it. My sanity is more important.

14. Lean6 says:

I left a comment previously: October 21, 2014 at 1:10 pm, and here I am because I found words from my previous comment through a search engine. Great time for an update, I guess.

Seven months later, I’m in the middle of a divorce. The month of December was the kind of stuff that movies are made of. Around the time of my original posting, things had gotten so bizarre that I had to start recording phone calls and conversations, keeping text messages and emails, and writing in a journal. She was making all kinds of statements about death and what not, rambling and repeating herself, claiming to be the reincarnation of ancient spirits, speaking in weird gibberish proclaimed to be Hebrew mixed with extreme profanity, etc.

The night that things took a turn, I had to call 911 for the safety of my minor child, who now lives with me. That night, I was exposed to evidence of what had apparently been some extended period of religious experimentation and confusion. The next two weeks were even more incredible, both in the bizarre and hostile behavior, and in the discovery of a person who had been lost and living in an alternate reality for years. Thank God that I was able to collect a mountain of evidence during this time to knock down what my wife tried to do to me next.

During a court hearing for a completely frivolous petition for a protection order against me, it was only the recordings that I played in a packed courtroom (and her complete lack of evidence or coherent claim) that saved me. Thankfully, I had a patient but no-nonsense judge as well. I point this out because otherwise it was the word of a hysterical and determined woman against a large man…the scariest day of my life, and i’ve served in war zones on the other side of the world.

My wife is still undiagnosed, and before I escaped in December, she was still abusing alcohol and Xanax. She will not work, and her only plan is to hope for a golden parachute from the divorce. She has failed to appear at all other court hearings since the failed protection order attempt because she doesn’t want to be confronted with evidence of her behavior again (she admitted so, and I recorded that too).

I opened a case with Child Protective Services prior to going into that protection order hearing in the interest of my kids’ safety and not knowing what to expect during the hearing. She simply refused to cooperate with CPS, and I thereby kept sole custody of my minor child. I suspect that the only possibility for her getting attention will come when I demand a psychiatric evaluation considering all evidence and object to her having visitation with my son.

Sorry, but from what i’ve experienced with all of the enablers in society, I have no confidence at the moment that me or my son are out of danger yet. Based on the way the divorce proceedings have gone with her non-participation, things are about to get even worse for her…and therefore for me and my son also. She’s become isolated…estranged from all family, and the desperation will be severe.

I’m no psychiatrist, but from the years of observing and living with her worsening behavior, and from researching my experiences, I see the most consistencies with Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type).

15. So Tired says:

I been married to a pot smoking , binge drinking woman who has depression for 27 yrs, it was manageable until 13 yrs ago, she had a heart attacked , that event completely depressed her to the point of her trying to self destruct , she got involved with cocaine, pot & alcohol on a daily basis . We have 4 wonderful kids , and it was my older daughter who informed me of mom escalating to cocaine . The Fighting between me and my wife was bad, she would not admit it was her and the drugs continued. One Night of arguing she decided to end her life not to hurt her family any longer , so she overdosed on her prescription drugs, downed it with alcohol , made herself an sandwich and went to bed. Lucky i fond her on the floor and called 911 , 3 days in a coma and on life support the doctors wanted me to pull the plug, I didn’t have the heart so I said no, she survived.
    She came home and all the Kids and I forced her into counselling once more, also took her to church 2 times a week which she loved. She was clean for about 2 yrs, but slowly I began to see evidence of pot again, but as usual she lied and manipulated about it. The arguing started all over again about her drug abuse on a daily scale. One day she was so upset because I had caught her buying her pot that she binge drinking so heavily it was like I was dealing with satan. When she would get high she was just mellow, never cause trouble but was also like a zombie, but when she drank , there was no controlling her rage. So one night it got so bad, the kids had had enough and called 911, 5 cops in my home who were very nice tried for a few hrs to calm her, finally they gave up and she got arrested for the first time. She was charged with assault on me and the kids (my wife remembers non of this) . She was gone for a yr till her case was over, and even during that yr we all tried to help her back into counselling , getting her lawyer .
    Well she’s been back home now for 9 mths, and though she stopped drinking she informed me she cannot stop the pot because she says it helps her, her depressant meds she says makes her feel like a zombie, but the pot helps her relax and removes the depression. So I decided for the sake of peace to leave her alone , its been 27 yrs of her smoking and the last 13 that have been a nightmare . She’s 60 yrs old now and obviously our sex life is completely non existent , her driver’s licence has been suspended 6 times for all sorts of tickets and non payment because all her money goes to pot. Im 7 yrs younger than her and all i am is her care giver, but I am so lonely to be with a woman and what holds me back is my Christian beliefs , but deep inside I’m dying a slow death .

Since she came back I tried to make her happy like I always do, to show her me and the kids love her and want her cleaned up and want to have a relationship with her , so paid all her tickets , legal fees, took her to Cuba vacation for 2 weeks, bought het new wardrobe so she can feel good about herself, take her out for dinners, i call her daily while I’m at the office to check up on here. But still no sexual relationship. I have asked her but she says the prescription drugs for her heart and depression kills her desire .

I feels so so traped

16. Lean6 says:

Here’s my final update in case it helps someone out there:

After the frivolous protection order attempt 6 months ago, my wife apparently decided that she was not going to go back into the court room to be further exposed. I also found out from remorseful close family of hers that she was a really morally corrupt person with some skeletons in her closet that probably “split her soul.” She crossed some lines and lost herself forever. Let’s just say that my instincts and precautions probably kept me alive…and it felt good to know that I had not been paranoid. I don’t know if she miscalculated what it meant to not participate in the divorce proceedings but, as I said previously, things were going to get worse for her…I didn’t even realize things were going to get THIS much worse for her. I was successful in getting a default judgement in my divorce (100 percent of all property, custody, child support, retirement, etc), and I have the full backing of the court and the sheriff to escort her out of my life over the course of the next 2 weeks.

17. Eanu says:

My husband is 24 and was diagnosed with ptsd bipolar depression and extreme anexity disorder, we have been together 7 years in October, married 4, ad have 2 girls, one is 3 and the other is 1 month old. Im writing because he refused all medications fom h hi s counselor and doc, he attempted suicide in December because I left with our oldest, I had enough of the verbal abuse he would talk down to me and always say how I did this wrong or my parenting was horrible, one time his dad bought his meds without insurance because my husband demanded it in order to work his new job, he said that night to me”see this is the kind of parent I wanna be who would do anything for their kids what kind are you?” Mind all of you I take care of both children and did the first one on my own also, he never put her to bed did not change her bathe her or feed her hardly feeding he would but I could tell you it was. Handful of times, I couldn’t do anything for myself or go out without her with me, I feel alone in this because his parents have always done things for him, he says I make him disicate from being his real self, I make him say things like I wish you were dead or how he hates me all during his outburst and losing his temper, he self medicates with pot, and since released from the mental hospital afte the suicide attempt hasn’t takn meds and won’t work because of the menta illness, hasn’t in a year. He is verbally abusive but reassures me he loves me, not sure what to do anymore its good for a while then hes at my throat again I feel I do nothing right and im taking care of not only 2 children but a adult to who insults me when he says hes trying to help me grow as a person and be better but its hurt ful most of the time, I guess my question is what’s the difference between having ptsd and the persons symptoms and just being mean? He doesn’t cook or clean and its a challenge to get him to even shut a drawer he got his clothes out of. I ha e always been here for him and stood up for him, I feel stuck and the only one thinking responsibly, he says its to stressful to do the things a normal person can but makes times to be with his friends and go out a not be sober. If he has time for that then why not try to do things for us? Its so confusing, im 23 and will be 24 Thursday I don’t want to have a huge regret amd feel im young enough to be something more than just what im doing now, he just makes me feel incredibly quiltly

18. kimberly says:

I have been married for 17 years…. My husband has had about 5 mental breaks in the last 12years. Which included just walking away to only God’s knows where three times… And being gone for up-to 2 weeks with no communication whatsoever. Each time I have taken him back with open arms… Feeling nothing but grateful to have him back in my life but always knowing that there was something else hiding around the corner to rear it’s ugly head and once again destroy what we had built back up. The most recent episode started back in Jan of this yeR. Things had been off and I knew something was Coming…and then one afternoon when I came home to him he was acting odd. He couldn’t sit still at first my fear was drugs(he had been down that road many years previously) buy soon realized it was something all together new… He called in to work for about 3 days…. And then after must urging I forced him to the county ran mental facility that he had previously been an out patient years before. After a month of gruelling in office appointments and paperwork he was finally able to see a real doctor who at once decided to admit him into the mental hospital…. About 3hours awY as there were no free beds in our town share he remained for almost a week. Once again I worried the entire time he was gone as I was only allowed one phone call from him every other day… And welcomed him home with hope for the future but fear surrounding me with all the uncertainties that come with the unknown. Will the meds work?? Will he stay on them? Can he work and if not how will we make it financially on just my pay?? And of course will he be back to how he use to be? I now know the answer to that last question.. No… And he never will be the same. The man I met and fell I’move with.. Who got happy just hearing a Christmas tune.. He’s gone.. The man who used to always want to hold my hand and kiss me.. Has vanished.. But I k of he still loves me.. But that happiness.. The spark is gone. And that is what makes me the saddest of all..