Mental Health Blogs

Admitting a Child to Inpatient Psychiatric Treatment: A Parent’s Perspective

Four years ago, I admitted my then-six-year-old son to an inpatient psychiatric hospital. Much has changed in four years, but reading my thoughts from the time brings it all back. It’s an experience I wouldn’t wish on any parent; one I hope I never have to live again.

From my personal blog, January 2008:

11I have a call in to a local children’s psychiatric hospital about admitting Bob on the acute-care unit in the very near future.

Things have been getting worse over the past couple of weeks. The last time I picked him up from (his father’s), he was a snarling, angry, hateful little boy who kept talking about his dad going to jail and it being my fault, and he was going to hit me in the stomach for it. He started repeating the same annoying sound over and over again and when I asked him to stop, he gave me a mean laugh and said “daddy told me to do that.” And so on and so forth.

The weekend was rough. He spent a good part of it in time out for one transgression or another. He frequently growled and yelled “I hate the world!” and “I hate all humans!” and “all mommies should shut up and go away!”

Yesterday, the principal called at noon. Bob was being suspended for the day. When I got there, he was pacing the office like a caged animal. He refused to come with me. It took both of us to remove him from school and get him into my car. I then had to physically hold him in his seat for 45 minutes to keep him from getting out and running off. He kicked me, tried to bite me, and slapped me (hard) across the face. I took him to my office where he snarled at me until (husband) came to take him home.

21Today, he said he was ready to go back to school. We met with the principal and he apologized and said he was ready to do better. I emailed his teacher around 1:00 and found out today hasn’t been much better, and the other kids in his class are becoming afraid of him. I suggested he not go to art class (he doesn’t like the teacher) and got a reply back that he’d slapped another kid and was back in the office, and wouldn’t likely be going to art.

I don’t know what to do. Therapy hasn’t helped. The courts haven’t helped. Psychiatry hasn’t helped, because you can’t spend 10 minutes a month asking a 6-year-old how he feels and expect to get the whole picture. There’s only so much I can do, because in Bob’s mind, I’m the problem. And he cannot go on this way.

Which is why I made the call.

The thought of taking my baby somewhere and leaving him, even if only for an overnight or a few days…Jesus. It’s killing me.

This entry was posted in About Angela, Mental Health Treatment, Parenting Child with Mental Illness and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Admitting a Child to Inpatient Psychiatric Treatment: A Parent’s Perspective

1. mef123 says:

I’m so sorry you are going through this. Although my son doesn’t need to be hospitalized I’m sure there are people here who have had there kids hospitalized. So you are not alone. It must be a very tough situation. Does his father help you at all? If he does need to hospitalized know that you are doing it for his own well being.

Michele

2. Sounds very challenging. I don’t think our system provides enough support for parents w/ children w/ special needs. Honestly, doesn’t it take a village? One that includes school, court, and therapy support that is helpful…oh and respite.

Wishing you better times ahead and more support soon.

Beth

3. Alistair McHarg says:

Angela: My heart goes out to you. You describe the situation very vividly. I have been on both sides of this equation and I think it is harder to be the one doing the committing. You feel so much pain, and also such powerlessness. Good luck, Alistair

4. Mindy McCulla says:

Man I wish we could meet in person. I am dealing with the same thing with my 11 yr old. I am to the point where I am seriously considering sending him to a behavior center. My husband (stepdad) has threatened to break up after 7 years of being together because my 11 yr old just can’t or won’t stop causing problems. I’m at my breaking point here. My heart goes out to you :)

5. AnguishedMom says:

I too have an 11-yr old that we’re on the verge of checking in to a behavioral hospital. He doesn’t seem to care, be afraid or worried. We’re at our wits end. He becomes explosive and aggressive and has made life impossible. He also is OC a hypochondriac. With other kids w/good behavior vying for attention, this child monopolizes every hour of our day. We cry every day for God to give us some other choice, but the behavior becomes more and more agressive and outragous. He has become insomniac and stays up half the night and he has to be supervised. We are EXHAUSTED! We love our child, and feel we have lost him. :-( Any thoughts?

6. Hi Anguished Mom,

I truly feel your pain. Parenting a child with mental illness who requires so much attention is so hard. And running on little sleep means you’re running on empty while having the same responsibilities. You mentioned that he is aggressive and is an insomniac. I wonder if your son is on medication at all. If he isn’t, I’d recommend it because the lack of sleep is NOT good for a child who is aggressive and explosive. Anyone that goes without sleep has a very low frustration tolerance. Much more so a child that has such behavioral and emotional issues. If your child IS on medication, it may be time to change the dosage or the medication altogether. Over time, people build a tolerance for medication where the same dosage that worked before stops working. It is time to re-evaluate your child’s needs to see what can be done to help him. A behavioral hospital can be an option, but that too will have it’s challenges. Good luck and please come visit soon.

7. danie says:

I am desperately searching for treatment for my 12 year old daughter. She started cutting about two years ago and has maintained it was only release cutting. Yet I have received pictures from her friends and concerned phone calls stating that she is in fact very suicidal. There seems to be a lack of programs that could help her and us as a family

8. Hi Danie,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. In regards to your daughter, if her friends are telling you that she is suicidal (and you feel she may hurt herself more), it is time to take her to the hospital. At the very least, she should be in therapy with someone specializing in dealing with those who cut. I’m not sure of where you live, but I recommend the hospital first to evaluate her suicidal intent. Then you can request a connection to services near you. You can also go through your insurance to find a therapist that can help. The fact that you’re actively seeking help for your daughter tells me that you’re a great mom. Keep going and continue to advocate for your daughter. Please come again soon.

9. Ashanti says:

I’m a mom with a 13 year old daughter who I have in the hospital right now. I called everybody in our county to get help and no one seems to be able to help me. My daughter is very violent towards us at home and the people at school including the staff. Yes, she’s on meds. Yes, she sees the psychiatrist and also has counseling and TBS services and it’s not helping. I called CPS myself because when I went to pick her up from the hospital the other day. She told the nurse that she was going to kill my husband. They kept her for 12 more hours and then released her. She ran immediately and the police had to be called. The police brought her home. CPS met us here and her counselor. My daughter destroyed my house in front of CPS and her counselor. told the counselor if she did not get out of her way, she was going to stab her with scissors. The police finally came and put her on a 5150 hold again. (I called CPS because I was scared to pick her up) CPS’ answer for this was to find a family member she could stay with. I’ll explain to CPS I didn’t think it was fair to put that off onto another family member. I need to know how to get my daughter into a in-patient treatment center ASAP.

10. Hi Ashanti,

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I’m not sure where you live (you mentioned 5150 so I’m thinking you’re in California). I’m confused as to why the counselor or TBS services has not referred her to an in-patient center. You can try going through your insurance or through the counselor. With her hospitalizations and frequent run-ins with the police, she should be able to get into one. I’d look up pediatric psychiatry wards near you and see if there is an in-patient residential program attached to it. Then call the social worker to find out what the requirements are to get your daughter in. I’m sorry that I can’t help more. Different states have different policies. Please keep me posted and visit again soon. Hope this helps.

11. Stephanie says:

The most common thread that I am reading here is that there is not enough support for parents and their children with Mental Illness. My son is 14 and in an acute behavioral hospital. After a meeting today we are hearing that they are not seeing the behaviors there and that they will have to send him home. This is his third hospitalization for the same behaviors. He is so abusive at home that my husband and I display and react around him as a battered wife would to an abusive husband or vice versa. We also have to lock our room doors at night as he roams the house at night. He is stealing, threatening to be abusive to the family dog, completely defiant and has an exaggerated sense of entitlement. The hospital’s plan is to send him home and have set up for him intensive outpatient therapy. Unfortunately, that does not keep my husband, dog and myself safe from him. We have been told that if we have to call 911 again he will be taken away to juvenile. I am sure there are very good behavioral therapeutic hospitals out there but where? My thoughts go out to all parents that are have or are currently struggling with a child with mental illness. A nightmare!

12. Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for stopping by to share your story and your kind thoughts with other parents. I agree that the thread seems to be the same. There are many families with children. teens and young adults all looking for a place to help. The good thing is those behavioral hospitals exist. The tough thing is that you need a recommendation from within the system (or from other parents) or you have to locate one yourself. I’m not sure what state you live in, but you can start with your state’s website in the health section to get started. You can also check out the American Psychological Association or the American Psychiatric Association for hospitals that may help. I know that it isn’t an easy thing to find the right services for a child, but when you do, wonderful things can happen. I’m also struck by your ability to send positive thoughts to other parents. Thank you so much for visiting and please come again soon. :)

13. Rachel says:

As I read this thread, it all seems too familiar. I have a 9 yr old son who has been in two hospitals just the past month, three total. He has had family-based therapy in the past, a tss worker, an IEP at school, and at the moment (as it is August) he sees a therapist and psychiatrist. Nobody understands just how bad the situation is and that medications are not working.I’m lost, need to do something. My other 2 kids and partner don’t deserve to be treated like this. His father passed away when he was two and I as well have my own issues. I am bipolar with severe anxiety and depression. I really can’t deal and need advice on options. My family does not get how bad it is! Every second is looking after his violent agressive and abusive behavior. I can no longer take care of him best due to severity of his behavior and my own issues. I’m lost as to where to turn! I love my son but he is better off where he can be an only child. We are not even scraping by financially because I can’t work due to his behavior. I have no resources! Thank you for any help!!

14. Hi Rachel,

My thoughts are with you. I can see how difficult it is for you to manage all of these issues given that you have have your own mental health needs. My first question is what are you doing to take care of yourself? Many parents I work with tend to put their own needs aside to care for their families and homes. My first suggestion for you is to get yourself in therapy if you aren’t getting treatment already. Also, I’m not sure what state you live in, but you can speak with your team (ie your son’s therapist & psychiatrist) for recommendations for day treatment, residential treatment centers/facilities, etc. Each state has it’s process and resources. You can check your state website for resources as well as national associations such as the American Psychological & Psychiatric Associations. I hope this helps you get started. Please come visit again soon.

15. Rachel says:

Hello, this is Rachel from the above thread. I am getting the psychological care I need as far as medications. As to the speaking with my son’s therapist and psych I have done so and they have literally watched as I sat there in tears begging for help while my son threw things at me and hit me. Psych recommended a partial program, but the waiting list is hefty. My son continues to abuse us all and has left so many deep bruises physical not to mention psychologically. His diagnosis is ADHD, ODD and unspecified mood disorder. He’s on meds but they don’t help. We have been dealing with this since before kindergarten. He was thrown out of two preschools and I had to withdraw from college myself. Again nobody gets the severity of this! I can not continue to punish all of the family due to his violent aggressive and abusive behavior. This may sound awful but are there foster homes that can help? Somewhere where he can be the only child and the parent can take time to deal with this as we are not financially stable. I have mental health issues as well as physical. I was in a terrible car accident and have back issues as well as a rod in my femur. I’m also dealing with a past addiction issue, which is really threatened right now. I want the best for all my children! Help!

16. Rachel says:

P.s I live in Pennsylvania. Any suggestions will greatly help!

17. Hi Rachel,

Thanks for coming back and sharing your location. You can go through the department of public welfare to find mental health services to support you as you help your son. I was able to google it so here’s the link I found. http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/forchildren/omhsas/index.htm Try clicking on the child and adolescent link to connect with services in your area. Hope this helps. All the best.

18. Rachel says:

Thank you. I will see what is available but since my son is in services as am I , I don’t know what else there will be available.Im at the point were I feel I may need to check in to an inpatient for psychological needss as they’ve become worse w all going on.Also, then possibly a reative who is a foster hm may take him I dont know. I’ve tried talking w them but it’s not convinient for them.This wkend they took my son Fri night til Sunday eve but showed up st 10am Sunday cuz they needed a break.Can they imagine I dont get to do that. Im very quickly slipping in to my severe depression and its not good.On top of it I have a 15yr old who tells me unfairly may I mention, that I am a terrible person, she beats terrible things cholildrr

19. Rachel says:

Continued from above..She beats things in my head just because she doesnt get her own way and because due to my son’s issues I haven’t been able to work and so my partner takes every shift working possible and now my daughter throws it up that Im not the one working and she doesn’t even respect my partner who busts her behind to keep a roof over our head. What do you think would happen if I go to psych floor for help because my meds r not helping my anxiety is the worst and i know sone things cause suicidsl thoughts.Im just a mom trying to make it…Please hro78jh

20. Brenda says:

I am a step-mom of an 11 year old girl who has PTSD, ADHD, and reactive attachment disorder. My husband and I have had full custody of her since she was 4 years old (she doesn’t see her biological mom). She is on medication and we have adjusted it MANY times, but she is still disrespectful, rude, doesn’t listen, yells at us and my 3 year old, and acts out EVERY DAY! I have 2 sons ages 14 & 16 who stay in their room with their door closed all day when she is home just to avoid dealing with her or listening to her. My 3 year old is becoming aggressive and starting to yell. I am done! I can’t keep doing this and it’s not fair to the other kids who get very little, if any, attention due to her constant misbehaving. She needs to go to a live-in behavior center. We have tried everything including in-home therapy. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I don’t want to lose my husband and break up my family! I live in Mass

21. Hi Brenda,

I’m sorry to hear about the troubles you have been dealing with your step-daughter. I have seen this many times before in my work with families. Parents who are just plain tired of the negative behavior. And in my experience, I’ve found that those parents have the most difficult time in pointing out any good things about those children. Kids don’t want to misbehave. They want to please the adults around them. However, misbehavior is real and needs to be dealt with.
    I recommend that you start with these numbers in your state. Parental Stress Line: 1-800-632-8188 (counseling, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
    Parents Helping Parents: 1-800-882-1250 (counseling and referrals to support groups)
    Children’s Trust Fund:1-888-775-4KIDS (free materials and referrals to parenting classes and home visiting programs) The first two lines may help you vent about the challenges of parenting your step-daughter. The last one could provide you with resources to implement a behavior modification plan in conjunction with therapy and medication for her. At the end of the day, I find that behavior issues tend to result from tension in the parent-child relationship. She is an 11-year-old girl who has not seen her mother in a long time (I imagine as you & your husband have had custody since she was 4). Triggers for her might include your interaction with your sons and why her mother hasn’t resurfaced in the last 8 years. It is very difficult for a child to understand that parents have problems. And it isn’t a child job to understand; I feel it is a parent’s task (though very challenging) to explain the situation, explore the child’s feelings and acknowledge them. In this way the child gains trust in the parents and will more readily give the parents the positive behaviors they expect. I hope that these resources are helpful. I found them through your state’s department of social services. Good luck to you and please visit again soon.

22. samantha says:

I am also going through the same situation as you with my 5 year old. I was wondering if you could possibly tell me what hospitals or what kind of hospitals to call for my son. He is exactly the same – in and out of schools and says the same things to me. If you could help that would be great. Thank you.

23. Hi Samantha,

Thank you for visiting and sharing your story. I’m the new author of the blog. As you did not share your state, I cannot recommend a hospital for you. What I can recommend is that you begin looking through your state’s website for social services. That could get you help at home and possibly crisis intervention services as well. I wish you the best. Take care.

24. Staci says:

Hi Mom’s…I need some advice. My significant others 6 yr old is out of control. We have had custody of her since last August. She has been in counseling since then as well. She is to the point of having so many aggressive outbreaks in school that she is no longer allowed to attend. Her mother(who she sees for 4 hours every Saturday) lost custody of her and her brother due to physical abuse. She is constantly defiant, aggressive, and her outbursts are extreme. She is not on medication. We are seriously thinking about inpatient therapy. Please help!

25. Hello Staci,

Thank you for sharing your story. I can tell that you and your significant other have been struggling with his child. I’ve worked with many children who have unfortunately been abused by their parents and they often have a difficult time adjusting after changing homes. In my experience, inpatient therapy is a last resort for parents who have tried everything to find a solution for the child’s symptoms. It sounds as if family counseling might help all of you to understand one another and resolve some of the behaviors. Also, because of her age it would be difficult to get her inpatient therapy especially since you have not tried medication. Talk to the child’s therapist about medication as it can be beneficial as an addition to therapy. Good luck!

26. Myranda congi says:

My son is 6 and bipolar. Without going into too much detail, I am struggling to find a way to parent him as a bipolar child. At what point do you check a 6 year old into an inpatient facility? He has extreme tantrums, punches holes in the walls, hits his teachers and me, etc. I am so lost and don’t know what to do.

27. Hi Miranda,

Thanks for sharing. It sounds as if you’re really struggling to help your son. I’m not sure of what you’ve tried yet, but an inpatient facility is a last resort. I don’t know what state you live in, but if you’ve already tried therapy and medication, you can look on your state’s website for family services to see what options you may have. He is a very young child and it would be very hard to get him into an inpatient facility. Check on your state’s website and good luck to you.

28. Jeanett says:

Hi

I am a 15 years old girl. I see many of you have troubled kids who you wanna put in inpatient. I would just tell you all to think twice before you do it. i myself was admitted because I tried to kill myself. There are so many different people in there and I saw things that are still stuck in my mind to this day. If possible find a treatment center that has a own place for kids with anger issues or things like that because inpatient isn’t always the best. It’s hard in there. As a kid your’re scared, you try to escape and you kinda do more stupid things because you’re so scared and you don’t wanna be there. I was in for a month and I have promised myself never to go back.

29. Hi Jeanett,

Thank you for sharing your story. I think it is great that you were able to do that here. You make such a good point for parents to understand what it is like for a kid in an inpatient setting. My heart goes out to you for all that you’ve been through, but I’m glad that you’ve made a turn around and promised yourself to be well. Take care.

30. Cindy Brazzeal says:

I Live in Rogers, Arkansas, I have a 13 year old son that was recently diagnosed with bipolar, prior to that almost a year ago he was diagonosed with ocd, anxiety disorder and depression. Our situation is so bad, my son is unable to even attend school so he has been doing an online school, which is not working out. He is home all day becoming more depressed and isolated, therefore not wanting to do school work. I am home with him 24/7 and I’m experiencing a lot of what other parents are going through, except having any other children in the house thank god. I know sleep, diet and exercise play a big part in being able to live with this illness. My son stays up all night sleeps most of the day, won’t exercise, and definitely refuses to eat healthy. His pyschiatrist put him on lamictal which seems to help with his bipolar but wants him to be on additional medications, at least temporarily to get his sleep patterns under control and to help with his ocd, and anxiety. He refuses to take any other medications,and refuses counceling which is another part of treatment he so desperately needs. His psychiatrist says we can’t force him to take medicine or go to therapy. I like most parents am at my wits end, I can’t seem to get any help on what I should do from this point to get him the help he needs. We are very limited with mental health treatment for adolescents in this area. My son did threaten to kill himself at school which resulted in him going to an inpatient facilty for about 5 days, I don’t think it helped at all and I didn’t have an overall good feeling about his treatment there, but it was out of my hands because of this happening at school and they took over. He is extremely violent at times and the police have said both my husband and I have the right to restrain him. Several month’s ago when he was hitting me I did restrain him and the police were called and I was arrested. Since things are getting so extreme, I really think I need to get him into a therapuetic treatment facility that can really help him with his illness and education. I need some help and direction with this and no one seems to be able to help, not his pyschiatrist or a psychologist I recently saw to help get the guidance i so desperately need. I would appreciate any help you could give me. It breaks my heart to read all these different stories about families going through these horrific experiences and none of us seem to really be able to get the help we need.

31. terrified mother from CT says:

I have an 11 year old daughter who has been going through the same behavior issues as all above. She has been this way since 4yr old she is diagnosed with PTSD & BiPolar as well as a detachment disorder. She has been on every medication there is. She has been inpatient outpatient PHP. She has a therapist a psychiatrist and is in a school for children with these issues. She has been kicked out of schools like this before. She lives with myself and boyfriend of 5 years and when she sees her father is on a whim because either she doesn’t want to go or he doesn’t want her. She has 2 other sister who she loves and misses very much that live with her father andvhis wife as we split are girls up. He could not handle her. She has seen and been through a lot for an 11 year old. I have been able to keep her out of a hospital for over a year now, but I am at the end. I dont know what else to do…. she ruins every day, every event. We have to leave her with family instead of take her to any planned outings or functions as she is explosive and ruins it for everyone else nevermind the public looking at us like we are horrible parents and this kid is a brat….. she is a sweet loving kind thoughtful sad little girl whomif I could sit around and hug and baby and do any and everything she wanted all day would be fine. We all know I cant do that and it wouldnt be right too. She needs the help to become a lady a productive member of society. A good sister and someday mother, aunt and wife. Please help. I am open to all suggestions. I am just terrified after what I have seen while inpatient to her that I am not sure my heart can take putting her back in. I never had to her father alwayscdid it when she was in his custody.
    Please help,
    terrified Mom

32. debbie says:

Hi everyone , 3 days ago I had to call and admit my 14 yr old daughter into a inpatient mental health center. She went to her guidance councler at school and told her she wanted to stab herself. Prior to this my 13 year old has just has 2 brain surgeries due to chiari malformation. This took a huge toll on my 14 yr old. I knew she has Tourette syndrome but now find out she has bipolar, ADD or possibly ADHD they are still looking into which one.. plus 3 other medical problems. As a single disabled mom of 3 children I never thought I would have to do this and it breaks my heart.
    The past 7 months have been a blur to me because I almost lost my daughter during both surgeries. Now I don’t have my Angel home and it’s breaking my heart. I see her for about a hour a day but travel over 2 hours just one way. I know I need counseling myself but I don’t have time.
    Someone please tell me how you have coped with doing this to your child ? She wanted to go and seems happy that was great but I can’t tell you how much I miss her !!
    Any advice I will take.. This is breaking me..
    Thanks. Debbie

33. Lisa says:

God Bless, each of you. I too, am weighing the necessity of a residential treatment center for my nine year old daughter. Bipolar, trauma and developmental delays. Medication and theraphy has helped considerably, however, she still requires 24/7 supervision due to self injurious and bizzar behaviors. My concern, she will learn more negative behaviors in a residential treatment center then she will positive coping skills. Does anyone else feel that a treatment center poses a long term risk for young children?

34. Ross says:

Hi everyone,
    I am a 33 year old man and I was committed to a facility 20 years ago. The effects of these types of facilities is extreme. 20 years later and countless therapists and I still live with the emotional side effects on a regular basis. I struggle with trust, abandonment issues. I have almost no relationship with my mother( primarily because she committed me). My mother has a PHD in school psychology and treats childeren like yours everyday.

The fact is that our society has deemed committing childeren to this kind of facility to be acceptable. As most of the people committed to these institutions, I come from a broken home. My mother tried to have my little brother committed when I was about 19. Thank god I stopped her.

Listen to someone who has been to a place like this and now through my construction career has worked at facilities like this.

Committing your child to a place like this would be the worst parenting decision of your life. This action will forever change your child and your relationship with your child. You have other choices. Medication is not the answer either.

These are childeren not pets. Medicating them till they act the way schools want them to act, or till you feel your child’s behavior is ” appropriate” is wrong.

At 33 I have a job making well over 100k per year and my professional life very successful. However the effects of being committed at 13 changed my social interaction with my siblings, my girlfriend, and most of all my mother and step dad.

I do not take medication of any kind anymore. What most people don’t know is. The long term side effects of the medications you are putting your kids on are unknown. Doctors will say otherwise. That is simply not true.

I hope this post saves sheds a different light on this subject and saves a few childeren from the trauma of this kind of facility.

35. msbreezes says:

Ross I hear what you are saying but I am considering it for my 17 year old son. he runs away from his therapy appts I try to make for counseling, he stays out days at a time, skips school and has probation for retail theft. I found out he smokes weed and hangs with the wrong kind of so called friends. he does not comply with house rules and yells at me and throw things in house. I want to save my son and he has insurance but will be 18 in 3 months. I’m running out of time. when I called crisis he went to hosp for observation but he plays the game and manipulates well so that the he is find but I know better he displays the following, is pathological liar, has PTSD, depression and in his family on father’s side is bipolar and physophenia. we live in New Jersey. I’m a total wreck and a single parent. anyone know where I could reach out to? help me save my son.

36. LBo says:

I understand your points Ross which is why my son is still here. Not an hour ago he tried to throw me down the stairs and beat me with an electric guitar. After he called me a f$&&ing idiot and said when I go to bed he’s cuttings head off with a knife. He’s 11. I fear it’s getting worse. Last week he beat me and his 6 year old brother. My hands are tied. I stop him from beating his little brother but what course of action do I take?? Best him? What good would that do? He’d only go to school and have them call CPS anyway.
    So he’s bigger than me at 11. I can’t fight back. And feel I’m too late when he beats his brothers. I can stop him, but the damage is done.
    I’ve considered sending him to my parents house. My mom would spoil him which he would love but eventually that won’t be enough either and he’ll physically lash out at her and my dad too.
    I’m not picking on you Ross, but honestly want to know what you’d recommend being you’ve been there. One of these days I’m going to call 911 and that will be that.
    Someone…. Please advise :-(

37. MC says:

I have read this blog. I have a son who is 7. In our eyes, our son is no longer here, just a shell of what used to be him. He has had many issues since the age of 4. He has been in acute hospitalizations in mental facilities 12 times, he is in a wrap around program, regular therapy, abundance of meds and so on. We need to find long term care for him. His behaviors are destroying our family in everyway. Is the best way to help him, us and protect society making him a ward of the state??