I know you want to get rid of anxiety. Keep in mind that anxiety can be treated in the short term, but long-term treatment and practice of new skills is what it takes to get rid of anxiety altogether. Today we’ll discuss ten activities that get rid of anxiety in the long term.
Get Rid of Anxiety With These Coping Skills
1. Write a list of your skills and knowledge. Write down things that you know through logic that counter what the anxiety is telling you (With Anxiety, Are Your Thoughts Trustworthy?). For example, “Statistically very few planes crash.” or “I can handle going in the store. I have done it before.” Or, for a child, “I know that my mother won’t forget to pick me up.” etc.
2. Read the list 2-3 times a day. By knowing your arguments, you will be less afraid of anxiety when it comes. Anxiety makes us forget what we know, making us vulnerable to believing anxiety’s lies. Having read the list repeatedly, our knowledge and trust in ourselves will not falter. The information will be up front in our brain and assuage the anxiety.
3. Do some yoga and meditation. Even if your anxiety is from trauma, spending some time in your body rather than in your head is the one of the best things you can do to recover.
4. Exercise. Movement increases your endorphins. Hormones are released from the bottom of your feet as you walk, so walking is a win-win. Plus following through on a commitment to walk will build confidence, countering anxiety. Even better: walk with a friend. Connection counters anxiety.
5. Pinpoint areas of stress in your life and figure out how to change them. This could seem impossible but we always have control over our response to problems. A counselor or a good friend might be helpful for this.
6. Try an alternative healing practitioner. For example, Ayurveda, acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathy, aroma therapy, shamanism, and massage therapy all have something to offer people with anxiety (Alternative Therapies Effective For Anxiety). It is also a positive action to care for ourselves by doing something new. Just the action empowers us, gives us confidence that we can do something and this alone helps.
7. Spend time with people. Chatting and laughing with others will help you feel more “normal.” You can see that fears are common and not feel so bad about yourself. Also, when many people are gathered there is often fun and laughter. You cannot laugh too much!
8. Have a routine. This is one of the best things you can do. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday. Eat and exercise at the same time. Meditate at the same time everyday. This helps steady your mind, but also gives confidence to your emotions. In other words, you feel in control.
9. Do not avoid doing things. Anxiety will build if it is winning. Contributing to others often takes us out of ourselves. Do something for someone else.
10. Practice affirmations. Often Anxiety puts pictures in our mind about how we are going to freak out in a certain situation. Change the picture. See it differently. See yourself calm and happy. Do this on purpose 2-3 times a day, especially when you are calm. Don’t wait until you are panicked to do this! You are retraining your mind to have new associations. Literally changing the cells in our brain, the way they accept peptides. Be patient. Keep it up. After a while you will notice a big difference (Using Targeted Affirmations To Cure Anxiety).
11. Consider taking anxiety medication. In the next post, I will discuss medicine for anxiety.
There is unlimited ways you can help get over anxiety, which ways have you used?
See Also: Ten Tools That Help Relieve Panic Attacks.