HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Not Every Therapist is Qualified to Treat Your Mental Health Condition
- Share Your Mental Health Experience
- "De-romanticizing Anorexia" On HealthyPlace TV
- "Exposure Therapy and OCD" On HealthyPlace Radio
- From HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
Not Every Therapist is Qualified to Treat Your Mental Health Condition
Finding the Right Therapist
There should be a mandatory warning label: "Not all psychologists or therapists are the same."
On this week's HealthyPlace Mental Health Radio Show, our guest, Maggie, brings to light the fact that just because one has a degree doesn't mean they're an expert in all facets of the field. Maggie went to several therapists over many years before she found one that introduced her to the therapy of choice for treatment of OCD: Exposure Therapy. And while the earlier therapists helped Maggie discover herself, some actually made her OCD worse.
So how do you find the "right" psychologist or therapist to handle your mental health issue?
- A referral from your personal doctor
- A referral from someone with a similar mental health concern
- A referral from a local psychiatric hospital
- A referral from a local support group
- Your county psychological association or other professional counseling organization
And once you locate one, here's how to interview a potential therapist.
Mental Health Experiences
Have you been involved with the "wrong" type of therapist? Share your thoughts/experiences on that or any mental health subject, or respond to other people's audio posts, by calling our toll-free number (1-888-883-8045).
You can listen to what other people are saying by clicking on the gray title bars inside the widgets located on the "Sharing Your Mental Health Experiences" homepage, the HealthyPlace homepage, and the HealthyPlace Support Network homepage.
If you have any questions, write us at: info AT healthyplace.com
continue story below
"De-romanticizing Anorexia" On HealthyPlace TV
At 42, Angela developed anorexia. Not long after, she began embracing it and was seduced into the world of proanorexia websites. Angela talks about that and her recovery efforts on this week's HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show. (TV Show blog)
Coming in November on the HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show
- My Life with Schizophrenia
- OMG! Please Help. My Son is Addicted to Video Games
If you would like to be a guest on the show or share your personal story in writing or via video, please write us at: producer AT healthyplace.com
For all previous HealthyPlace Mental Health TV archived shows.
It took our guest, Maggie, 17 years to find out she had OCD and even longer to actually find someone who knew how to treat it. Maggie shares her struggle to find the right doctor and how exposure therapy works and is working for her on the HealthyPlace Mental Health Radio Show. (Radio Show Blog on OCD)
Your comments and observations are welcomed.
- What Does Vagus Nerve Stimulation Feel Like? (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- PTSD: So Much to Tell You, and I Can't Say a Word (Treating Anxiety Blog)
- Parents Want To Be Good Enough (Life with Bob: A Parenting Blog)
- Dissociative Identity Disorder: Mapping the System (Dissociative Living blog)
- Meeting the Family: Nervous Butterflies and First Impressions (The Unlocked Life Blog)
- What Can a Carrot Teach Us About Borderline Personality Disorder? (More Than Borderline blog)
- About Melissa Minotti, Author of "Getting Through Tough Times" Video Blog
- Setting Business Goals When You Have Bipolar or Depression (Work and Bipolar or Depression blog)
- Caring for Mentally Ill Children Can Test Parents' Relationship
- The Unlocked Life Video: De-cluttering Your Life
- Mental Health and the Value of Being (as Stubborn as Humanly Possible)
- Obstacles to Developing Internal Communication
- What is Vagus Nerve Stimulation?
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week,
- Created: 04 November 2010
- Last Updated: 04 September 2014