Alternative stuff for anxiety and depression

Alternative stuff for anxiety and depression

Hi, I suffer anxiety and depression sometimes. Now im not depressed, just the anxiety thing. Do anyone have alternative or natural things to help anxiety and preventing depression. I used to take meds for both, but it gave me some health problems, i even had surgery about a year ago. Now Im doing better, but still I would like to do something to prevent a relapse. Any ideas?

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
mariac
Maria Ro
Platinum Member
ranks
useravatar
2208 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Alternative stuff for anxiety and depression

There are some people who swear by Amino Acid Treatment for depression. I am sure if you google it you will find some info about it.

Before I started traditional meds I did try Amino Acids. It was very involved, finding the right ones, and taking many many many capsules, at many times of the day.

In the beginning I did find some relief. Not enough though. I am sure someone with less issues than me or depression that wasn't as bad as mine might have some success with them.

And the best part is that there are zero side affects.

Chanda

Chanda
Platinum Member
ranks
useravatar
2656 Posts

Thanks Chanda! Yes im looking for no side effects. And I think now is a great moment since Im doing better.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
mariac
Maria Ro
Platinum Member
ranks
useravatar
2208 Posts

Hi mariac. Yoga and meditation are good for anxiety and depression. You may practice it almost anywhere. There are a lot of books or videos, even in youtube that may help you. I´ve found that yoga is great if you practice it on mornings. You can search for a school or place where they can teach your, or you can buy books or videos to learn by yourself. Also try to avoid caffeine and sugar. Good luck!

Emma E
ranks
useravatar
17 Posts

Hi mariac,

Please visit our alternative mental health community, here is a link for the anxiety related topics.

I hope you find this information useful.

Diana

davila
Admin
ranks
useravatar
28 Posts

I have found Melatonine plus B-complex, taken before going to sleep, very helpful with depression. I came to try this because somebody in another depression forum had a research paper on this combination being successful in the treatment of mice that had been deliberately made depressed. It had been found, during that research, that the amygdala became smaller on one side and that made for the inbalance in mood. These vitamins make the shrunken side of the amygdala go bigger again. It helps me.

What helps me in case of severe unrest (although I am often not motivated enough to do it) is a mind-machine. It can be googled as such. It is a small version of the machine that a therapist of Emotional Feedback Training used on me successfully. Emotional Feedback Training is a very good way of correcting brainwave-patterns that make one feel bad, restless, nervous etc.. That I am not fully cured yet is me having not enough money to carry on for long enough. I could only do 5 sessions where I think, from the results I was getting, I would probably have been permanently in a much better place after 15 treatments. After each treatment it was serenety, total bliss, for a day, maybe two.

Anyway this mind machine has goggles that can stimulate your (closed) eyes with small flashes of light, in sync with the sounds you hear through the earmuffs. It has also got something to do with the left-right movements of the eyes in EMDR, but it is more than that.

Scratchingwolf
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Thanks for sharing Scratchingwolf!! I was trying the b complex but I forgot to take it, I guees I didnt felt like it was doing that much, but now that u remind me about that. I think it actually was helping. Im not feeling really bad now, but when I think about it, I was doing better. Thanks!

mariac
Maria Ro
Platinum Member
ranks
useravatar
2208 Posts

I just started on the complex-B again, two days ago. I will let you know how it goes. wink

mariac
Maria Ro
Platinum Member
ranks
useravatar
2208 Posts

What I like to do when I have anxiety is yoga and yogic breathing or listen to some relaxation or hypnotherapy MP3's. Getting outside in nature always helps as well!~ Good Luck!

Mariah
Hypnotherapist
ranks
useravatar
26 Posts

Thanks! I used to practice yoga, but I haven't for a while. I want to get back to it. I hope I can do it this weekend.

mariac
Maria Ro
Platinum Member
ranks
useravatar
2208 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
Erb
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Most Active Users: 
Chanda, mariac, SaraMarie, tirihashi, suzanna, Papillon, curridabat48, jcstoffer
Online: 
MJournal, audrig

Forum Legend:

Topic
 New
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked